Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Scrolling while writing a post

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you scroll down to the bottom of the message window while typing, it will automatically go to the top of the message. This is incredibly annoying, especially when you are tyring to delete a large amount of text. Is there anything that can be done about this?
Old 12-01-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Scrolling while writing a post

Originally posted by Wazootyman
If you scroll down to the bottom of the message window while typing, it will automatically go to the top of the message. This is incredibly annoying, especially when you are tyring to delete a large amount of text. Is there anything that can be done about this?
uh what do you mean? if I scroll down it just stops when it gets to the bottom
Old 12-01-01, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Scrolling while writing a post

Originally posted by Venusian

uh what do you mean? if I scroll down it just stops when it gets to the bottom
This happens while you're typing a post? I'm referring to in the typing portion of the screen. If at the end of my last line, I press down the cursor will go to the top of the typing part of the screen
Old 12-01-01, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Scrolling while writing a post

This happens while you're typing a post? I'm referring to in the typing portion of the screen. If at the end of my last line, I press down the cursor will go to the top of the typing part of the screen
This is because the cursor is not moved when you use the scroll bars. To avoid this you will have to click inside the text window before you press anything on the keyboard. If you want to delete large blocks of text I suggest holding down the shift key while you are clicking; this will select all the text between the cursor and the place you click.

Last edited by feenst; 12-01-01 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-01-01, 05:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100%... it's extremely annoying. Earlier versions of vB didn't do this, so either the developers wanted the action for some reason, or they unintentionally added it as a "feature" in one of the later revisions.

Also annoying is the inability to click at a particular point and paste... the pasted text wants to jump back to follow the last thing you typed. To paste a URL on a line below your text, you have to put in a space before you paste.

And, while I'm at it, the fact that the later versions have taken away the ability to use keystrokes for accessing Edit in the menu bar just stinks!
Old 12-03-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know this was doing this to me while i was reading posts earlier I thought it was just my crappy mouse.
Old 12-03-01, 04:59 PM
Uber Member

I've taken to using the page down key when I'm worried about this happenning.

And yes, it is annoying.

And no, there's nothing I can do about it. Hopefully Geoff will add this to his to do list, though I can't imagine it will be at the top of said list.

-David
Old 12-03-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People use the menu bar?? I just type everything.
Old 12-07-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this is fixed. At least it used to happen to me ALL the time, and now I can't get it to happen... Did Geoff do something to fix it, or was it magic?
Old 12-08-01, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I think this is fixed. At least it used to happen to me ALL the time, and now I can't get it to happen... Did Geoff do something to fix it, or was it magic?
O...k, it's somewhat fixed. If you're on the last line, at the end of the line, it's protected from going back to the top. However, if you're in any other spot, it will go back to the top.
Old 12-09-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
I use 3 different computers (home, school, work); it has never done it at school, and it always does it at home, can't remember work. Maybe it's some interaction between forum software and home PC?