Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Important note for all retail store staff...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-01-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... STOP USING FREAKIN' BOX CUTTERS TO OPEN BOXES!

During the past week, I have received 3 DVDs and one $50 hardcover book that have slices in them. These aren't el-cheapo titles... I'm talking about the Planet of the Apes TV show (which has a unique case that I can't replace), the Dirty Harry boxed set (with ALL 5 titles sliced along the spine), etc.

I see this happening more and more often. Am I the only one who gets upset by this? I don't much enjoy paying $50 for a "brand new" book or DVD only to find that it has a razor slice down the spine. What will it take to get stores to stop damaging their own products in an effort to open a shipping box faster?

(thanks for letting me vent).
Old 12-01-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Re: Important note for all retail store staff...

Originally posted by bboisvert
... STOP USING FREAKIN' BOX CUTTERS TO OPEN BOXES!

During the past week, I have received 3 DVDs and one $50 hardcover book that have slices in them. These aren't el-cheapo titles... I'm talking about the Planet of the Apes TV show (which has a unique case that I can't replace), the Dirty Harry boxed set (with ALL 5 titles sliced along the spine), etc.

I see this happening more and more often. Am I the only one who gets upset by this? I don't much enjoy paying $50 for a "brand new" book or DVD only to find that it has a razor slice down the spine. What will it take to get stores to stop damaging their own products in an effort to open a shipping box faster?
AMEN!

If I were you, I'd return the damaged items and request undamaged replacements. I've had this happen a few times myself, and I immediately contact customer service. There's no excuse for getting sliced up merchandise.

I also see quite a lot of this in retail stores as well. In that case, I don't pick up the damaged items and get the ones that aren't damaged. It's just ridiculous to see a $100.00+ DVD box set with a HUGE CUT across the spines of the DVDs.
Old 12-01-01, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stand it when they slice through the box like that...
I work in retail and when I open boxes of cds/dvds/games, I always make sure to just cut the tape. There's no need for anything more than that, but some people don't get (or care) about what is inside.
Old 12-01-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
This really sucks, but then again, I rarely buy from B&Ms
Old 12-01-01, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just poke the tape open with a pen from the side and rip the tape from there. Easy enough.
Old 12-01-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dpham00
This really sucks, but then again, I rarely buy from B&Ms
Unfortunately, this is a problem with online stores as well. Any store (virtual or B&M) has to open shipping boxes full of product.

If that store (virtual or B&M) has a moron opening the box with a knife -- someone who isn't careful not to slice the product within -- you are going to have problems.

3 of the 4 issues I had this week came from online stores. That makes it 10x worse, because you have to go through the pain-in-the-*** return procedure for the store... and usually have to wait a couple of weeks for a replacement.

I guess most people don't care about this sort of thing, or don't return the item when they receive it in sliced condition -- otherwise I would assume that retailers would be more careful and I would be seeing fewer cases of this, instead of more.
Old 12-05-01, 12:13 AM
Banned

bump to the top. I work in retail too and we only cut the tape. The DVD's ,CD's etc are not ruined when we take them out on the floor. Maybe AAFES has a policy regarding opening up DVD's, CD's etc I'm unaware of? AAFES is my employer. www.aafes.com
Old 12-05-01, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe when they start using Segways to run through the warehouses they'll be able to take that extra second to open the boxes carefully!

We can hope, can't we? Amazon's signed on already.
Old 12-09-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
***Slice***

Muhahahahahahahahahaha!