Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: Dave

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-01, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews Wanted: Dave

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 12-01-01, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
These memories are clouded by a few years, but I remember Dave being a cute, warmly funny throw-away of a comedy. Not really my style. If you can find it for $10 it's probably worth it since you'll be able to eBay it.
Old 12-01-01, 06:39 AM

Its been awhile since I watched the disc but as I recall it was allright. Nothing great, but not bad. As far as extras, it has a featurette,production notes and 4 trailers.

Personnally I liked the movie. If you liked The American President or the humorous aspects of The West Wing (great show), you'd probably enjoy this.
Old 12-01-01, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Decent movie.....I believe Warner released this and is 16 X 9 compatible. Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver perform well....fun movie to watch as far as what if you looked like the president and were asked to be the president for a certain period of time.....etc......I would recommend this as at least a rental if not a purchase.
Old 12-01-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always liked this movie. It is usually found at a bargain price and is well worth it. Lightweight kind of humor but engaging.
Old 12-02-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love this movie. it is one of my favorite films.
every time i see it, it makes me feel happy about life in general. as dumb as that sounds.

this film. and The American President.

the dvd has next to no features, but to me the film makes it worth it.
-di doctor-
Old 12-05-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably my favorite Kevin Kline film. And he has been in some other good ones like Wanda and The Big Chill.

I've watched it several times, always enjoy it.
Old 12-05-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
"Dave" truly is a great little film. Both Kline and Weaver are fantastic in it! Highly recommended.
Old 05-05-09, 09:44 AM

Re: Reviews Wanted: Dave

Hello,

Bumping this thread to see if anyone is familiar with the re-release of this movie. I have the original release (1998) DVD but am interested in upgrading to the re-release from Oct 28, '08 if it's a new mastered release. Amazon lists this release as a 1.33:1 AR but I'm fairly sure that it's a mistake in the listing. I looked for a review of the re-release here at DVDTalk but didn't see one available. I've looked at a couple of other sites for reviews but no luck so far.
Old 05-07-09, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warner is not one that I know of to sneak new transfers on the market. Seeing as The American President (a film coincidentally appearing in a double feature with Dave) has been non-anamorphic for years despite "new" releases popping up here and there, I imagine it's the same old thing.

It's probably a Warner special packaging deal: one of their Christmas/Mother's Day/Father's Day promotional package DVDs, but it's the same disc inside.
Old 05-07-09, 05:43 PM

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right about this one. WB did the same thing a while back with the re-issue of "Time After Time" ('79) with the same transfer in a new package.

I posted the same question about the reissue of "Dave" over at Home Theater Forum. If I get info over there I'll post it here.
Old 05-08-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, Aaron Amos got banned just one post shy of becoming DVD Talk Limited Edition.

So close!
Old 05-10-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pulled this one out tonight and gave it a spin. A very enjoyable movie even with it's primitive presentation. This is one I would upgrade given the chance.
Old 05-13-09, 09:18 AM

One of the best "White House" comedies, IMHO. Kevin Kline gives a nice, sweet-natured performance as employment agency owner Dave and a chilling turn as the SOB president whom he exactly resembles. First-rate support, too, from Weaver, Grodin and Langella (the reptillian Chief of Staff). Kingsley as the VP is a little miscast, but not a deal killer. Another favorite White House comedy, as long as we're on the topic, is My Fellow Americans. How can you not love Lemmon and Garner, huh?