Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Chroma Bug...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chroma Bug...

Hello...

Are any of you familiar with the Chroma Bug that plagues some DVD players.... ? Granted that you probably will not notice it AT ALL unless you own one of the few DVD players that is infected AND you have an HDTV....

I have a Toshiba 4700 and i must say that it is one of the best players out... But, some have said that they noticed the chroma bug. I have tested mine and have not noticed it at all... Now, can the bug infect just SOME players of the same model? or would it infect all of the players withing the particular model... ya know what i mean? For example, will it be in all sony 67858 models, or just SOME of the units of that type... you know?

For more background info - click here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-29-01, 08:43 PM

I believe it should be in all players of a certain model, since the problem lies in the decoding chipset used. Unless the manufacturer changed the chipset in later versions of that model.

As to why you may not notice it... some models seem to mask the problem better than others but on other models it's very obvious. If you can't see it I would suggest not looking for it - once you find it you'll never be able to ignore it again.
Old 11-29-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"If you can't see it I would suggest not looking for it - once you find it you'll never be able to ignore it again."

I agree with you 100%. Also, they say that it is only noticable in HDTV's -- If that's the case - then i will have a new dvd player by that time anyway... and the manu's should have this problem ironed out by that time anyway.... Once again, i have a 55 toshiba tv and a 27' tv... i use s-video and/or color stream on both and i have yet to notice the problem.... i'm not woried....

Thanks,

Matt