Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Grand Theft Auto 3 the best ever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 09:52 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Grand Theft Auto 3 the best ever?

You know I had read several preiveiws and reviews before spending my hard earned dimes on it. And I have to say that I have never put so many hours into a game so soon after purchasing it. Heck I've had 4 weeks and I've only finished 6 missions! Not cuz I can't finish them but because I'm having so much damn fun running from the cops....and killin some of them to. Nothing more enjoyable than grabbing some Molatov cocktails from the home less...then getting into a five minute chase with 4 or 5 cop cars then crashing the car and tossing a cocktail in between them sending them to their firey graves. Does that make me a sick person? Anyway...let me know your thoughts on the best game that I've ever played!!!!!!!

DCHAD OUT!
Old 11-29-01, 10:03 AM

Best Game Ever? I don't know about that, but I would say it is the best game on the PS2 and all of the next gen consoles as well. I have been playing the game since release day (haven't played in about a week and a half because of Metal Gear 2, NFL2k2 and the Gamecube) and I have just unlocked the third island. The amount of freedom in the game is sencond to none and I am looking forward to going back and replaying the game after I beat it.

-Dean-
Old 11-29-01, 01:25 PM

I bought it about a week or two after it first came out, and I'm still playing the heck out of it. I just finished the last mission a couple nights ago, including all of the side missions, and I've finished the import/export garages on Portland and Shoreside Vale. I've also done enough Vigilante missions to get 4 stars in my hideouts, which helps a LOT.

I've not yet completed the emergency vehicle crane thing back in Portland, though, nor have I finished any of the rampages. I've also collected just 50 of the 100 hidden packages. But, having completed what I have, I'll probably restart another game.

This game is one of the most fun I've played in YEARS. I was really starting to get bored with the onslaught of fighters and racing games for the PSX until Driver came out. That game single-handedly got me rabid about gaming again, but there was always something about Driver that was--well, missing. I've found that GTA3 is what I always hoped Driver, taken to the next level, would be. In fact, I'm still having so much fun with it, I'm not even concerned about picking up another PS2 game until after the holidays. Yeah, on the outside, it's got the over-the-top violence appeal, but the real beauty of this game is the great gameplay underneath. It's definitely some of the best 50 bucks I've ever spent on a video game.
Old 11-29-01, 01:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Dean D.
Best Game Ever? I don't know about that, but I would say it is the best game on the PS2 and all of the next gen consoles as well.
Dean, what's your basis for this statement? Do you own all the best games on the next gen consoles? If you do, I'm mightily impressed and cannot wait for this game to come to either the PC or the XBox.
Old 11-29-01, 01:40 PM

I've played a lot of games, and if you look at the next-gen consoles, only the PS2 has many games. The X-Box and Cube are just too new. I would consider Halo to be one of the best games of the new consoles and also Tony Hawk 3. I haven't played Monkey Ball yet, but from what I have read, it is a great game. I am anxious too see what the X-box will do with GTA3. It is a powerful system and I hope it isn't going to be just a straight port.

-Dean-
Old 11-29-01, 02:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah, I'm afraid it'll either be a crappy port or else they'll soften it down.
Old 11-29-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the best game I've ever played.

How did you get the molotov cocktails. I have the flame thrower, grenades, uzi, and pistol, but want the molotov cocktails.
Old 11-30-01, 12:38 AM

Go to "8-ball's" garage, in the back against the mountain there's a tunnel. Drive into the tunnel, murder the helpless, innocent homeless folks, that are there just minding their own business, and voila' you've got molotov cocktails!
Old 11-30-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GTA3 is quite possibly the best game I've played in the last few years. Probably not the best ever, but definitely close. The detail is just incredible....right down to the radio stations (Sorry Fido...we're gonna have to drown you.) and the things the people on the street say to you (My brother's my sister!) Too many more great examples to even mention.

I need some help though, I think I'm on the last mission. It's the one where you have to follow the helicopter and then crash through all of those Cartel Cruisers and all the Cartel guys just shoot the hell out of you. Anyway, I can't get passed it! It's very frustrating. What's the trick to this one? Since they take all of your guns, you really can't even attempt to fight them can you? I've tried ramming different vehicles through the roadblocks, but nothing gives. No matter what car I have, it always gets blown to pieces. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am pulling my hair out as I write this.

"They say Al-U-Min-Ium instead of aluminum...who do they think they are? Calling crackers biscuits!"
Old 11-30-01, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze

I need some help though, I think I'm on the last mission. It's the one where you have to follow the helicopter and then crash through all of those Cartel Cruisers and all the Cartel guys just shoot the hell out of you. Anyway, I can't get passed it! It's very frustrating. What's the trick to this one? Since they take all of your guns, you really can't even attempt to fight them can you? I've tried ramming different vehicles through the roadblocks, but nothing gives. No matter what car I have, it always gets blown to pieces. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am pulling my hair out as I write this.
I did this one two days ago. Here some advise:

You don't actually have to follow the helicopter, anyway you know where it goes now! Just go to your hideout instead to get some good weapons and the Tank (if you already stole it). You will still have enough time left to go back and blow all the cartel guys.
Note, the tank helps a LOT...You'll also have to blow the helicopter so some rocket laucher can be usefull
Old 11-30-01, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Here's how I did it...

First of all, max yourself up on health and armor before you start the mission. That always helps.

As soon as the cinematic ends at the cartel mansion, you should be facing the semi-auto handgun. Grab that, then run into the wooded area toward the front guy. Waste the guys and grab their Uzis. Now run back toward the mansion and waste the two guys up on the balcony. Sometimes they drop their assault rifles--if they do, grab 'em.

Head to the cartel cruiser in the garage. IIRC, there's an armor shield in there. Follow the helicopter to the damn. I usually take out the two guys at the gate via drive-by, since you have plenty of Uzi ammo from the guys at the mansion. Drive toward the main part of the damn. About halfway up, to the right, are a few trees--notice a sniper rifle icon in there! Grab it, and take out the two guys on the high towers and the guy on the crates. I usually take out the two guys blocking the entrance to the dam as well, and this I believe takes all 5 of the sniper rounds, so aim carefully. Now, work your way up slowly. Shoot all of the red barrels if you can--they'll explode and can take out nearby cartel guys. Otherwise, use the assault rifles or M-16s from cartel guys you've wasted at the damn to take out the other cartel guys from a nice distance.

When the cinematic starts of the helicopter lifting off, take cover (not near a red barrel!) The helicopter will unload missiles. The Barracks OL that comes after you will be wasted by the helicopter missiles (it was for me, anyway) so if you don't take it out yourself, that's ok. Make your way to the end of the damn, to the stairs. Go up, and take out the cartel guys up there. Careful, one of the people up there is Maria, so don't waste her.

Make your way along the rooftop, and pick up the rocket launcher icon. Now, waste the helicopter with the rocket launcher on its next pass, and enjoy the end credits.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-30-01, 09:43 AM

I should clarify something in my previous post--after you take out the cartel guys and grab their assault rifles and M-16s, use the M-16s to aim at the red barrels and take them out from a distance. I found taking out the red barrels to be a big help in getting through this level--too many times, the helicopter would lift off and the missiles would set off the red barrels, and I'd be standing near one, next to a crate where one was on the other side of the crate, etc.
Old 11-30-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Man, I LOOOVE this game. I kept blowing the "Chunky" Lee Chong mission. He would always hop in his getaway car and speed off before I could kill him. So one time I'm just cruising around the 'hood trying to lose the cops and to my surprise, I drive by his getaway car. I park, hop in his car, drive it down the street and crash it. Then I go to "meet" him. Where's your easy escape now, you fat $#%&?
Old 11-30-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavePack
I'm still having so much fun with it, I'm not even concerned about picking up another PS2 game until after the holidays. Yeah, on the outside, it's got the over-the-top violence appeal, but the real beauty of this game is the great gameplay underneath. It's definitely some of the best 50 bucks I've ever spent on a video game.
My thoughts exactly. This game rocks!!
Old 11-30-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Must.. play.. this.. game..

But I'm gonna have to wait until Xmas
Old 11-30-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
Must.. play.. this.. game..

But I'm gonna have to wait until Xmas
I rented it and it was great. My wife got it for me for Christmas, but won't let me open it until then.
Old 11-30-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Man, I LOOOVE this game. I kept blowing the "Chunky" Lee Chong mission. He would always hop in his getaway car and speed off before I could kill him. So one time I'm just cruising around the 'hood trying to lose the cops and to my surprise, I drive by his getaway car. I park, hop in his car, drive it down the street and crash it. Then I go to "meet" him. Where's your easy escape now, you fat $#%&?
I just blocked his car in. Didn't think abuot crashing it. I then used the fast run (keys are pressure sensitive) and sprinted past his guards and gunned him down. Had to get out of there quick like after that
Old 11-30-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the game.

Just don't have a playstation 2.

Two more weeks, though.

Two more weeks...
Old 11-30-01, 10:49 PM

I was having second thoughts about getting the PS2 instead of waiting for the XBOX until I played this........
Old 12-01-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'm thinking of it, I saw an action trailer for Devil May Cry which had me jaw drop to the floor in awe(it looks incredible) and I was wondering if there are any action trailers for GTA 3?

I'd love to download one or two to show to my wife which might help her understand what my anticipation is all about.

Anyone have a link?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help guys. I just finished it. I had to use one of the cheats to get the Tank, because I never stashed it and didn't feel like going all the way back. You were right about the great ending! I think in a week or so I'll play it all the way through again.
Old 12-02-01, 01:14 AM

I got the game.
Just don't have a playstation 2.

LOL, you know the game is good when you buy it before the system.

and ya its a good game.