Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with hooking up my home theater

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a new TV and home theater today. I've never had anything like this before. I hooked up the dvd portion of the home theater fine, it works. However I can't get my TV to be in stereo using the home theater. It uses the speakers on the TV automatically. I tried changing the TV audio function to SAP, but it says it is unavailable. Hmmmm. I would also like to know if I could have my playstation 2 in stereo. I can't figure out how to do that either. Damn I suck. Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-01, 11:21 PM

Well first of all SAP stands for Secondary Audio Program which is a foreign language track and if it says unavailable then it means the show/movie doesn't have a foreign language track.

So are you saying you have one of those home theater in a box deals. If so you need to run your TV audio out, to the home theater receiver. Also you can run the audio out on your PS2 to the receiver as well.
Old 11-29-01, 12:45 AM

To add to what palebluedot said,

Just in case your TV doesn't have audio outputs to run to the receiver (I think many older/low end TVs don't have audio out), you can use the audio outs from your VCR as the source for broadcasts to your receiver.

Your VCR will need to be on and tuned to the station you want to watch, but in many instances I believe it's the only way to get the broadcast signal to the receiver.

Run an RCA cable from the audio outputs of the VCR to the VCR (or TV) inputs on the home receiver. Like I said, you'll need to turn on the VCR and tune it to the station you want to watch in surround sound, but it should work just fine.

Good luck

Edit:

Forgot to say:

If in fact your TV does have audio outs, and you have correctly hooked them up to the receiver, try turning off the speaker of the TV in the TV's menu. I believe some TVs won't send a signal to the audio outs while the speaker on the TV is in use.

Again, good luck

Last edited by RickG; 11-29-01 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-29-01, 01:11 PM

That's what I was thinking... Thanks
I need to figure out how to turn off the tv speakers then. The TV is brand new... So it has all the inputs and outputs.
If I have the HT system on DVD, and the TV on cable then TV speakers play the cable and the home theater plays the DVD audio, but the picture is the cable, yet the HT system is playing audio for the DVD until I switch the TV over, too. When I put the TV over to DVD it works great, but it doesn't work for anything else but the DVD.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-29-01, 03:29 PM

OK, I re-read my post and it's extremely vague. So here goes-

Satellite cable to Dish receiver to VCR to Tv (The screw in cable, not the RCA jacks). That works fine.
The Playstation 2 should go to the receiver first and then the receiver should be plugged into the TV right? The thing that is really confusing me is (well, two things). The back of the receiver (it's a dvd/receiver combo, not sure if that matters)

Back of the receiver
0 0 0 VCR (Holes 1,2,3)
0 0 0 TV(Holes 4,5,6)
0 0 0 Other (Holes 7,8,9)
0 0 0 CD Recorder (Holes10,11,12)
0 Video Out (Hole 13)

Back of the TV
0 0 0 Audio, Audio, Video 1 (Holes 14,15,16) 0 Audio in (Hole 17)
0 0 0 Audio, Audio, Video 2 (Holes 18.19,20) 0 Audio in (Hole 21)

So, the cables out of the ps2 should go into holes 7,8, and 9 . Then I should plug the Yellow, White and Red cables from holes 4,5,6 (not 13, right?) into holes 14,15, and 16 (and not use holes 17 or 21)
Thank everyone very much in advance, sorry I've never had anything like this.
Old 11-30-01, 05:46 PM

TTT, please someone help me with this?!