Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

digital camcorder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
digital camcorder?

Not sure if this is hardware or not, if not does anyone know of a group that might know the answer. I'm getting ready to purchase a Digital Camcorder JVC-GRDVLl510U from http://www.aafes.com for $499.00. I just didn't want to waste my money if there's something out there for the same amount with better features. I never had a cam corder before. what are some of the basic things i need to look at?

THANKS!
Old 11-29-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First, do you have legacy tapes is a big question. If you have video 8 format tapes, that may mean you want a digital 8 camera that can play your old tapes. However, if you have VHS-C, or some other format, I suggest keeping an old camcorder around to play them, or transfer them to the new format. That ties into another feature.

The ability to accept analog inputs. Some camcorders have A/V jacks so you can tape off a standard audio/video feed. Very useful for an emergency VCR, but really useful for transferring from a VHS deck or another camcorder, or in my case, from remote video heads.

You have to choose Video8 or MiniDV tapes. I like the mini format better for it's slightly better performance and smaller size.

Decide if you would want the flip out LCD screen. It can be handy. You should also be able to use an eye viewfinder also. I am not a fan of the Sharps that only have an LCD screen. I tried one and ending up returning it because it washed out in bright sunlight.

Consider the Sony TVRs and the Canon, I used a Sony for 6 months, and then replaced it with a Canon ZR30MC. Look into the Canon ZR10.

$499 and one in stock as right now, free shipping at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...id=1007074286/
Old 11-30-01, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also searching for digital cam

I am also searching for a digital camcorder (baby on the way) and am looking at the Sony DCR-TRV17 minidv.. I found it for $779 ($300 off the amazon price) at Citywidedigital... has anyone heard of this retailer? http://store.yahoo.com/citywidedigital/index.html

They have a nice site and seem to be affiliated with Yahoo...
Any reason you chose the Canon over Sony that we should hear about ?

Thanks
Cron28
Old 11-30-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like I said, I actually used the Sony for quite a while, but the Sony I used was the Digital8 model (TR-110??) I forget.

Just a personal quirk, but I did not like the top membrane strip with the controls on it. It was hard to tell if I pressed a button. In my case, this is a little unique, I use the camcorder while racing cars. I don't want to sit there wondering if it's really recording.

I read some reviews and the Canon came out very well. It was smaller than the Sony. It uses the Smartmedia (which I have a lot of) instead of a memory stick for still pics. My model can accept a hotshoe directional microphone or light source.