Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

any store that accept DVD without reciept?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted DVDs for my b-day and got a bunch of DVDs for my b-day. Of the 11 DVDs I got, 2 of them I already have. I asked my mom if she could return them for an exchange or refund. She tells me she bought all of them from ebay!

The 2 duplicates are brand new and still shrink wrapped.
Anyone know of a B&M store that will do store credit, exchange, etc... without a receipt????

I guess I can try to sell on ebay, but I don't want to go through the hassle
Old 11-26-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
It's the holiday season, I'm sure alot will. If not, the next time you're at Best Buy, peel off the price strips for the movies you wanna return. Take 'em home and attatch to your movies. Take 'em back and say "See, they were bought here, but I don't have a receipt...". They will give you store credit.
Old 11-26-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You might want to go do a search over in the Store Forum as this topic comes up often and has been covered there in the past.
Old 11-26-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think the peeling of stickers at best buy is really unnecessary. i know i've walked in there with CDs i think from god knows where and they've exchanged them for me. as long as they carry it, they'll likely take it.
Old 11-26-01, 11:17 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moving to Store forum.

You might want to do a search there too.

Moving thread.
Old 11-27-01, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think the peeling of stickers at best buy is really unnecessary. i know i've walked in there with CDs i think from god knows where and they've exchanged them for me. as long as they carry it, they'll likely take it.
It IS very neccasary..for two reasons...
In three stores I have gone to, I have tried to return them without the precious stickers..to no avail.
"IT doesn't have our sticker..."

Then, I went home, found 2 receipts and one discarded sticker.
They took them back..NOT happy...EVEN WITH A RECIEPT!!!

Some stores are sketchy about DVDs.....

Also, stealing stickers will send a message that this is a STUPID practice meant to be used as an excuse....

I mean, look, when I give a gift, I TAKE OFF THE DAMN STICKER!!

After a heated debate with a manager still wearign acne, I just said "Screw BB" and MEANT IT.

A good deal isn't a good deal if you have to add $4.00 in Maalox to every stop....
Old 11-27-01, 07:21 AM

Wait until after Christmas. Almost every store will take back unopened DVDs. Last year, BB's around me just wanted to move people out as quickly as possible and thus didn't ask for receipts. Of course, the price you probably will have to pay is waiting in long return lines.

And yes, do a search for the one and only one store return policy thread.
Old 11-27-01, 02:49 PM

I tried a non-receipt return at Best Buy last year on 12/26 for a duplicate copy of Start Trek II. It had nothing to do with stickers. The employee scanned the barcode at the door and said plainly that it wasn't theirs. From this, I gather they had their own pressing/release of this disc.

Before you laugh, I once worked in the retail electronics industry and this was not uncommon. You can see it in some of the electronics that BB sells as the common Sony numbers may be a digit off of the mass market item you might see at Costco. This allows them to better control their stck and rate of returns.

In the end I returned the disc at a Warehouse Music where I got 2 (used) for the credit received. If you are building a collection, this may be a good option.
Old 11-27-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go to Borders or Suncoast.

Suncoast is good because it is no questions asked, and you can trade in an older title and possibly get newer titles at a discount.
Old 11-27-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon), I've had success at my local Fred Meyer store. They have their own Gift Card and I just have them add the credit to that. I'm up to about $95 now!
Old 11-27-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not trying to be rude, but do a search next time, there's tons of threads on this topic:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=receipt

Old 11-27-01, 10:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhauge
For those in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon), I've had success at my local Fred Meyer store. They have their own Gift Card and I just have them add the credit to that. I'm up to about $95 now!
Did the DVDs that you were returning to Fred Meyer have their own price sticker on them? Without the sticker, it would be obvious that they knew the DVDs didn't come from them.
Old 11-28-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau

Did the DVDs that you were returning to Fred Meyer have their own price sticker on them? Without the sticker, it would be obvious that they knew the DVDs didn't come from them.
None of them had FM (or any other store) stickers on them. Their only concern seems to be whether it's in their system or not. If they scan it and it's recognized, then they take it.
Old 11-28-01, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EAU...

Uhm, what's with the sticker?
It really DOESN'T 'prove' anything....

BTW-I always thought Costco was BS'ing me that Star Wars wasn't thiers....different codes?
Odd.

As for Suncoast..yes, they DO accept a LOT of returns....I return to MANY Suncoasts..and often...with no receipt....they don't even ASK if it came from there.

And THIS is why I plunk down an extra $4-6 per DVD on Tuesdays to shop at Suncoast.

They (Except for one HORRIBLE time..) NEVER give me any problems, and are always helpful..they SUGGEST WS.....and thus, they earn my business, and I reccomend them.

Do the math.....
If you spend $3 more per DVD at Suncoast, and they keep the return policy, and you get 'stuck' out of a $25 DVD once every 2 months by using other stores and 'losing a sticker'...it adds up just fine.

I want to keep Suncoast ALIVE and thier return policy 'happening'..and the only way to do that is to support them financially and make the returns/purchases ratio right.

As long as they keep having helpful staff and a fair policy, I will pay the higher end dollar figure.
Old 11-28-01, 07:16 AM

Most vendors will accept an exchange for another title on unopened merchandise (as long as you don't askl for a refund!).

My own horror story came from Best Buy as I was trying to return a CD that I thought I had lost, but purchased a second copy. I brought it to BB (with sticker) and asked to make an exchange. They told me I needed a receipt. When I said it was a gift, they actually told me to go back to whoever gave me the present and ASK for the receipt.

I went to a competitor and they gratefully made the exchange. The lesson is do not expect BB to make an exchange on any item without a receipt. Yes, I know there are many customer service people who will make the exchange, but just don't automatically expect it!

Last edited by dvdirv; 11-28-01 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-28-01, 12:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Dansize
I tried a non-receipt return at Best Buy last year on 12/26 for a duplicate copy of Start Trek II. It had nothing to do with stickers. The employee scanned the barcode at the door and said plainly that it wasn't theirs. From this, I gather they had their own pressing/release of this disc.
Paramount has 3 UPC codes for their DVDs. The method of distribution determines which UPC code is sent to the wholesaler/retailer. If you get a DVD online, it will not have the same UPC code as that in Best Buy. That is way Best Buy said it was not thiers.

I bought a DVD from Buy.com and they sent me two. The first BB store would not exchange it, but another did with no problem. Go Figure.....
Old 11-28-01, 01:00 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

None of them had FM (or any other store) stickers on them. Their only concern seems to be whether it's in their system or not. If they scan it and it's recognized, then they take it.
Is it the FM in Corvallis that you went to?
Old 11-28-01, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau

Is it the FM in Corvallis that you went to?
Yes. I've also returned DVDs at the FM in Albany as well.

Speaking of FM, I've noticed that they are less inclined to price match Best Buy now. I had no problem during this last year, but when I recently tried it during the Thanksgiving weekend, they were not very accomodating. They mentioned something about receiving a memo from their district manager to only price match stores that are in the immediate area (Target, K-Mart). I don't know if it would include Wal-Mart in Lebanon. Seems like that is about the same distance from Corvallis as Best Buy in Salem is. I got the name of the store manager and will be getting a clarification of their PM policy.
Old 11-29-01, 01:05 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes. I've also returned DVDs at the FM in Albany as well.

Speaking of FM, I've noticed that they are less inclined to price match Best Buy now. I had no problem during this last year, but when I recently tried it during the Thanksgiving weekend, they were not very accomodating. They mentioned something about receiving a memo from their district manager to only price match stores that are in the immediate area (Target, K-Mart). I don't know if it would include Wal-Mart in Lebanon. Seems like that is about the same distance from Corvallis as Best Buy in Salem is. I got the name of the store manager and will be getting a clarification of their PM policy.
I was trying to get FM Corvallis to price match Best Buy (in Salem) early this year and no deal. They said they would only price match in the immediate region (Lebanon as well). Let us know when you get a clarification. Btw, do FM Corvallis/Albany limit the number of returns w/o receipt (like asking you to fill in a white slip)?
Old 11-29-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau

I was trying to get FM Corvallis to price match Best Buy (in Salem) early this year and no deal. They said they would only price match in the immediate region (Lebanon as well). Let us know when you get a clarification.
I spoke with Brian, who is the manager of the Corvallis FM Home Electronics dept. He did say that they were supposed to only match immediate area, but then he went on to say that as long as you bring in the ad, he didn't have a problem doing a PM. He even said to mention his name if any of the clerks give me grief!

Btw, do FM Corvallis/Albany limit the number of returns w/o receipt (like asking you to fill in a white slip)?
Not that I can tell. All of the times I've done it, they just scan it and add the total to my gift card.
Old 11-29-01, 11:25 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spoke with Brian, who is the manager of the Corvallis FM Home Electronics dept. He did say that they were supposed to only match immediate area, but then he went on to say that as long as you bring in the ad, he didn't have a problem doing a PM. He even said to mention his name if any of the clerks give me grief!
That's great if FM Corvallis would price match Best Buy. It will save me a trip to Salem and I can get the DVD on Tuseday
Old 12-05-01, 02:37 PM

Re: EAU...

Originally posted by Weapon X
As for Suncoast..yes, they DO accept a LOT of returns....I return to MANY Suncoasts..and often...with no receipt....they don't even ASK if it came from there.

And THIS is why I plunk down an extra $4-6 per DVD on Tuesdays to shop at Suncoast.

They (Except for one HORRIBLE time..) NEVER give me any problems, and are always helpful..they SUGGEST WS.....and thus, they earn my business, and I reccomend them.

Do the math.....
If you spend $3 more per DVD at Suncoast, and they keep the return policy, and you get 'stuck' out of a $25 DVD once every 2 months by using other stores and 'losing a sticker'...it adds up just fine.

I want to keep Suncoast ALIVE and thier return policy 'happening'..and the only way to do that is to support them financially and make the returns/purchases ratio right.

As long as they keep having helpful staff and a fair policy, I will pay the higher end dollar figure.
It's great you found a system that works for you. I'm in to this sort of retailer lyalty as well. However, wasn't Suncoast purchased earlier in the year by Best Buy? It may take a while, but I can see those return policies changing soon.
Old 12-29-01, 03:09 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not that I can tell. All of the times I've done it, they just scan it and add the total to my gift card.
Thanks for the tip, bhauge. I have returned some gift DVDs to FM Corvallis (without receipt, of course).

Just curious, the staff (Cheri) asked for my ID and filled up a white form with name, licence #, address, phone # and then asked me to sign it. Did they do this to you too?

Yeah, she just scanned the DVDs and add the credit to a gift card
Old 12-29-01, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau

Just curious, the staff (Cheri) asked for my ID and filled up a white form with name, licence #, address, phone # and then asked me to sign it. Did they do this to you too?
Weird! I've never had to do that. It may be a new policy.
Old 12-29-01, 07:31 PM

Weird! I've never had to do that. It may be a new policy.
this is becoming more and more common, I returned a calendar to Borders without a receipht and had to do the same thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.