Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Maybe its me (DVDPlanet.com customer service related)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Maybe its me (DVDPlanet.com customer service related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe its me

I am trying to deal with the lack of service I am receiving at dvdplanet.com. I ordered 4 movies and preordered 2. One movie did not come, I emailed their customer service and then called two days later when I still got no response. I received the movie I preordered and still am short one movie. They used to be so reliable, but two out of my last four orders have had problems. Is anyone else experiencing problems with these people or is it just me.
Old 11-26-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I added the parenthetical info to your thread title.

Please try to use a more descriptive title for your threads in the future, so that people know what they're clicking on, and people who have information that can help you will find your thread.

-stevevt
Old 11-27-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I don't preorder from DVDPlanet anymore. The last time I ordered from them I had 7 discs, which were sent in 5 separate shipments, 2 of which arrived on the same day. Of course I was charged the "Per shipment" charge of 2.50 5 times which wiped out any savings I got by pre-ordering. I have ordered a lot from them and I suspect what happens is that as soon as you hit "submit" to place your order- a list is printed in their warehouse. Whatever is available at that moment is boxed and shipped to you and the others are handled as they come in. I wish they had the option of "wait till my order is complete before shipping" like most of the other online sellers. You might check their website to see if the disc you ordered is still listed as "In Stock". They are still my preferred online store. I just don't pre-order anything. Besides, there have been so many screwed-up discs lately (Opera, Monty Python & the Holy Grail SE) that I would rather wait and see than have the hassle of returning stuff.
Old 11-27-01, 12:43 PM

I tried to pre-order 4 titles from DVD Planet that street the same week in January (to save shipping costs). The shipping on the 4 titles was $10 ($2.50 each since they don't know if they'll ship together or separately).

Unlike Amazon, DVD Planet does NOT give you a choice whether you want them sent together or separately.

I always wondered how DVD Planet could afford to price pre-orders at 30% off compared to the 25% on regular titles.

All you have to do is to look at their pre-order shipping prices to get an answer to that question!
Old 11-27-01, 03:31 PM
nntu

Originally posted by dvdirv
I always wondered how DVD Planet could afford to price pre-orders at 30% off compared to the 25% on regular titles.

All you have to do is to look at their pre-order shipping prices to get an answer to that question!
I'm pretty sure that $2.50 is what the PO charges for first class shipping, so how much do you think DVDPlanet is making off of your preorders?
Old 11-27-01, 11:22 PM

As a seller (on Half.com), I know what first class postage is.

On a single DVD, first class rate is $1.49, plus figure in another .25 or so for a mailer (in bulk quantities). So a first class shipment costs DVD Planet about $1.75.

I guess the rest would be "handling!"
Old 11-28-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I don' t think their handling charge is unreasonable, especially compared to other Online retailers. I quit ordering from CDNow because it was 3.95 plus a dollar an item or something like that. I do wish DVDPlanet they would implement a "single shipment" option though. Back in the good old days, they charged $2.50 an order, regardless of how many items or shipments. I used to pre-order DVD's 10 at a time.
Old 11-28-01, 04:36 PM

My complaint with DVD Planet is not their "handling" charge per se.

It's the way you cannot control pre-order shipping costs. To order 4 pre-orders and to pay a $10 shipping charge is excessive. Other vendors such as Amazon at least let you decide if you want all titles on the same order to go out together to save shipping costs. DVD Planet does not give you such an option. So on my pre-order of 4 titles that street together, you could be paying anywhere from $4 to $10.

I find that kind of shipping charge excessive!
Old 12-04-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by dvdirv
My complaint with DVD Planet is not their "handling" charge per se.

It's the way you cannot control pre-order shipping costs. To order 4 pre-orders and to pay a $10 shipping charge is excessive. Other vendors such as Amazon at least let you decide if you want all titles on the same order to go out together to save shipping costs. DVD Planet does not give you such an option. So on my pre-order of 4 titles that street together, you could be paying anywhere from $4 to $10.

I find that kind of shipping charge excessive!
I avoid this problem, which I too had experienced in the past, I called and had a CSR add a "special notation" to my account which noted that I want all future orders to ship as a single order, instead of several. Problem solved.
Hope the info helps!
Old 12-04-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Every Thursday night they have the pre-orders that are in stock for the next week,green-dotted and ready to be bought.Pre-order at that time and you will know that they will be sent at the same time and you will know the shipping charge.
Old 12-07-01, 11:40 PM

To dvd-4-life & Clappj who offer solutions about how to get around DVD Planet's unique shipping process & charges, I really don't want to add special notations to my account or plan on ordering Thursday nights.

I have an even easier solution to get around DVD Planet's shipping policies: order elsewhere!