Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking For a Good 27" TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I need a "good" 27" TV for the bedroom. My wife and I will predominantly be watching the news on it, but since I don't like to buy "cheap" stuff, I'm looking at TVs in the $400 range. Here's what I've looked at so far and some preliminary thoughts:

Sony KV27V42 --> Makes a God-awful loud degauss sound on start up

JVC AV-27D302 --> Has a rather loud hum/buzz to it

Pansonic CT-27D11 --> Quickly looked at it in BB. I like my 32" SuperFlat downstairs

Toshiba 27A51 --> Quickly looked at it at BB

Samsung TXK2768 --> No clue but it's in the price range

If anyone owns one of these I would appreciate your opinions. www.audioreview.com doen't have much, if any, on these. Also, if someone knows of a good TV I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance!

Tony
Old 11-26-01, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I had a Sharp 27" before switching to an HDTV. It was pretty good. Lots of inputs(at least enough for me anyway), and I believe it goes for around $300 nowadays.
Old 11-26-01, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
BTW the model # is Sharp 27L-S300. Lowest price ive seen is $289
Old 11-26-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
about 2 and a half years ago i picked up a Toshiba 27" and it has performed beautifully for me. it even survived 2 years in a fraternity house. my parents just bought the updated model and they're equally as happy. you can't go wrong with toshiba as far as i'm concerned.
Old 11-26-01, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go with the Sony if you are primarily going to use it to watch television. Out of the bunch the Sony has the best screen/picture quality IMHO, and also from my experience they have been very long lasting sets.

If you are going to use it for DVDs as well you may want to look at the models with component inputs such as the Toshiba (Sony only has S-Video on that model i think), but really on a 27" set component video is not a major upgrade over s-video.

J
Old 11-27-01, 06:32 AM

I purchased the Toshiba 27A50 about a year ago and love it. My cable television picture is superb and there is very little humming noise coming from the speakers.
Old 11-27-01, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

I was looking at the Toshiba website and came across something interesting: It appears that the 27A41 ($350 MSRP) and the Cinema Series 27AX61 ($480 MSRP) are no different in video components - same picture tube, same digital comb filter, etc. Even the audio output (5W) is the same. The only real difference appears to be that the Cinema Series has a 2-tuner PIP (which I don't really need for the bedroom).

All this info came from the comparison charts on Toshiba's website. I will have to check these TVs out at BB.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these or any other TVs?
Old 11-27-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TonyS
I was looking at the Toshiba website and came across something interesting: It appears that the 27A41 ($350 MSRP) and the Cinema Series 27AX61 ($480 MSRP) are no different in video components - same picture tube, same digital comb filter, etc. Even the audio output (5W) is the same. The only real difference appears to be that the Cinema Series has a 2-tuner PIP (which I don't really need for the bedroom).

All this info came from the comparison charts on Toshiba's website. I will have to check these TVs out at BB.
I'm not sure that these tvs use the same tubes. I looked at the comparison charts, and it really doesn't provide any info beyond the "CRT Type."

Also, the 27AX61 has the following that the 27A41 doesn't:

Channel Lock
Power Return
Noise Muting
Channel Labeling

From what I've seen, adding PIP from one model to the next step up, when nothing else changes, will add $50 to $75 to the MSRP. While 2 tuner PIP might add a bit more, I have to believe that there's something else in the 27AX61 to justify the $130 difference.
Old 11-27-01, 06:54 PM

stevevt -

I agree that the 27AX61 has more features than the 27A41, but my main concern here is picture quality. I was kind of surprised that the video components appear to be the same. I would've guessed that the 27AX61 would have had a better digital comb filter, velocity scan modulation or something (the 32" and above Cinema Series appear to). One of the reasons I mention this is that my local BB has the 27A41 for $300 while a local audio/video/appliance store has the 27AX61 for $400. Both are well below MSRP and the 27AX61 fits nicely in the price range I want to pay. I just wish I knew for sure it would provide a better picture. I guess I'll just email and/or call Toshiba and ask them what the deal is.
Old 11-27-01, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bet you'd be happy with any of them once you calibrate it with Avia or your fav tuning disc. Given the small size of the screen I think the choices are all fine really.
Old 11-27-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by svadas
I bet you'd be happy with any of them once you calibrate it with Avia or your fav tuning disc.
Good advice, as most TVs in the store are calibrated to attract your attention, not to have the most accurate picture.

The Toshiba 27A41 is $299 at BestBuy. Nice picture using a DVD player through the component inputs.

Last edited by nekobus; 11-27-01 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-28-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This past weekend I went to Best Buy to purchase a 27" TV. It's going to be a Christmas gift for my niece. And because I already own a 32' Sony, I was thinking about the KV-27V42. But after seeing the Sony KV-27FS13 WEGA, ($549), it was clearly the superior set to buy.

Although it's $100 more than the KV-27V42, it's defineitly worth going over budget for this kind of performance and extra features. Flat CRT, 16:9 Enhanced setting, and Component Video input etc.

Also keep in mind that TV's are "big ticket" items that your going to be living with for at least the next 10 years or so. Down the road you'll be glad that you popped for that extra hundred bucks.

EDIT
Or at least for the next few years until HDTV kicks in.

Last edited by Mike Meeks; 11-28-01 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-28-01, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always liked the tubes in the Panasonic 27'' tvs. They also have quite a few features and inputs.
Old 11-28-01, 03:34 PM

A few weeks ago I saw an Akai 27" flat screen with s-video and component inputs at Sams Club for $379. Picture quality was excellent . If I'm not mistaken, Akai used to be the high end line from Mitsubishi. I used to own an Akai reciever and the thing sounded fantastic and was built like a tank.
Old 11-28-01, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

I bought the Panasonic CT-27D11 a few weeks ago after comparing it with the Toshiba and JVC. I liked the picture better, it looked clearer with richer colors. There was a noticeable difference between component and S-Video connections with my Pioneer DV343, but only from sitting several feet away.
Old 11-30-01, 06:55 PM

Everyone -

Thanks for all the input. After debating for a while, I settled on the Toshiba 27AX61 - the Cinema Series (CS). I just lugged it up into the bedroom. Now all that is left is to calibrate via my Avia disc and then I'll be all set.

I ended up getting it at my local Audio/Video/Appliance store, Bernie's, here in CT. It was $399 on Wednesday when I looked at it and today when I went to buy it, it was priced $349. Needless to say, I pounced on it. Toshiba's MSRP is $479. Best Buy is selling the 27A41 for $299 (non-CS and no PIP) and the 27A51 (non-CS and 1-tuner PIP) for $349. I figured for that price I couldn't go too wrong!

Thanks again!
Old 11-30-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see an All-In-One instant home theater package for the bedroom in the near future.
Old 12-04-01, 04:31 PM

Re: Looking For a Good 27" TV

Originally posted by TonyS
OK, I need a "good" 27" TV for the bedroom. My wife and I will predominantly be watching the news on it, but since I don't like to buy "cheap" stuff, I'm looking at TVs in the $400 range. Here's what I've looked at so far and some preliminary thoughts:

Sony KV27V42 --> Makes a God-awful loud degauss sound on start up

I have a Sony KV27S42 (at least, I think it's the "S" and not the "V") and have been happy with it, though I'm definitely not a A/V expert, though my standards are probably low. One problem I did have with the Sony was a horrendously loud sound when I turned on the set (which I'm assuming is the sound you're hearing). But a friend had the same set and did not have a problem. AND, purely randomly I found out that putting some weight (e.g., a phone book or something else -- don't remember what I had sitting up there) on top of the set cured the problem, even after removing the weight. So if the sound is your only problem with the Sony, I think that can be solved... Of course, now I see that you bought another set... sure you'll enjoy that one, too...
Old 12-06-01, 05:42 PM

The Sony KV-27FS13 WEGA is a superior TV. Buy it at Circuit City for $549. Use Amex Blue and pricematch it to Xtremeshopper.com or
Sharperdigital.com. With my $90 refund from Blue, my TV cost $459 plus tax. Not bad for a WEGA.