Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question: Metal Gear Solid 2 - SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Metal Gear Solid 2 - SPOILERS

Several scenes shown in Metal Gear 2 and even on the commercials for the game show the following scenes:

1. Snake running through waist deep water
2. Snake climbing a ladder ahead of explosions
3. Snake running down a hallway ahead of explosions
4. Snake fighting against Fortune in the warehouse
5. Snake shooting a Famas in the rain

Yet, while actually playing the game none of this occurs. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Also, after collecting the bandana and the stealth, is there anything else to be earned? Are there any easter eggs on the disc? -- I have heard that one allows you to control the camera in the cut scenes.
Old 11-26-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since the cut scenes aren't really cut scenes, but rendered realtime, you can already control the camera (somewhat). Just press R2 and use the right analog stick to pan around a bit. Is that what you're referring to or is there supposedly something else?

I remember Snake running through waist deep water and I think I remember the ladder and explosions.
Old 11-26-01, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.
As far as controlling the camera that may be what I have heard about -- I'll have to give it a try.

Concerning the explosions I too saw them in the game, but as a flashback to what occured on the Tanker -- yet it never actually did occur on the Tanker during gameplay, etc. And I never saw Snake running through waist deep water when I played the game -- his entire body falls into the water, but he never runs through it.

Anyone else have any info on these scenes?
Old 11-26-01, 01:41 PM

HUGE SPOILERS! I MEAN, HUGE!

HUUUUUUGE!

Still here?

Good.

Kojima wanted to keep the identity of the new playable character secret so when the time came to create a new E3 trailer, most of the footage on the tanker had already been used up, so what he did was placed Snake in the role of the second character. A little switch-a-roo to keep fans of the game fooled. You do not actually fight Fortune with Snake, but with the "other" guy.

The running from explosions, shooting FA-MAS in the rain, and ladder scene were all created specifically for the first E3 trailer. No other reason. The scene with him in waste deep water is in there, you probably just happened to blink or miss it. It's when he's running to confront Ocelot when the boat starts to sink.
Old 11-26-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mattalos
HUGE SPOILERS! I MEAN, HUGE!
Kojima wanted to keep the identity of the new playable character secret so when the time came to create a new E3 trailer, most of the footage on the tanker had already been used up, so what he did was placed Snake in the role of the second character. A little switch-a-roo to keep fans of the game fooled. You do not actually fight Fortune with Snake, but with the "other" guy.
Just like how in one of the (many) cutscenes near the end, it shows Snake doing some of the things that you did as Raiden.
Old 11-26-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what I was thinking. I remember a cutscene of Snake running through water (I think), but it wasn't actual gameplay.

I read on the gamespot.com behind the scenes article that Kojima wanted to make the tanker scene a gameplay escape sequence but it was taken out. The commercial must use footage from those removed sequences.
Old 11-26-01, 03:16 PM

Are you talking about when he's waist deep in the water, and he's trying to run and using his arms to scoop water away? Cause if it is, it's in the game.
Old 11-26-01, 06:06 PM

Are you talking about when he's waist deep in the water, and he's trying to run and using his arms to scoop water away? Cause if it is, it's in the game.
Yes, thats the scene -- I must have just overlooked it while I was playing.

Concerning the game bonuses, are there any others besides the bandana and stealth? Possibly something for 100% of the dog tags on all levels of difficulty.
Old 11-26-01, 06:08 PM

I'm at 490% on the Tanker ... I'll let you know when I get those last two elusive bastards!
Old 11-26-01, 07:12 PM

I'm at 490% on the Tanker ... I'll let you know when I get those last two elusive bastards!
Wow!
I've got 100% on all Tanker levels except Extreme and Very Easy.

BTW how did you get the tag from the guard that walks the hallway by the lockers on very easy? He won't give up his tags unless you shoot him with a real gun, but once you get a real gun he has left. I've tried beating him up, shooting steam at him, and nothing seems to work. If you shoot him with the tranquilizer gun he just falls asleep, even if you shoot him in the foot or something.
Old 11-26-01, 08:12 PM

You just need to make sure not to go over there until you've beaten Olga and received the gun. Just don't go into the engine room at all, go up, beat Olga, then head over there as normal.