Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

A question for all you video game junkies

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for all you video game junkies

I am thinking of buying a new system, yes i still have Playstation 1. I was pretty much set on buying Playstation 2, but with the arrival of Game Cube and X-Box, i dont know which one to go with. I primarily enjoy playing sports games. All the reviews i have read say go with X-Box, but i dont know if i want to shell out all that $$$. Any suggestions?
Old 11-25-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Moving to the Video Game Forum.
Old 11-25-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my roommate is a sports game junkie, he went with ps2. you cnat get EA sports games on dreamcast so thats probably easy to rule out. dont know much about xbox
Old 11-25-01, 11:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

This is easy: for sports go with the X-Box

You'll have more sports choices on the X-Box with graphics improvements over the PS2. Microsoft develops their own sports titles (eg NFL Fever), EA improves the quality for the newer generation machines (Madden was improved for Gamecube and I expect the same when it comes out for XBox) and probably the best reason to get the XBox is that it has basically unlimited memory blocks thanks to its hard drive. For example on the Gamecube you end up using an entire memory card ($15 i think) for Madden, I imagine it'll be that way for every EA sports game.
Old 11-26-01, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
This is easy: for sports go with the X-Box

You'll have more sports choices on the X-Box with graphics improvements over the PS2. Microsoft develops their own sports titles (eg NFL Fever), EA improves the quality for the newer generation machines (Madden was improved for Gamecube and I expect the same when it comes out for XBox) and probably the best reason to get the XBox is that it has basically unlimited memory blocks thanks to its hard drive. For example on the Gamecube you end up using an entire memory card ($15 i think) for Madden, I imagine it'll be that way for every EA sports game.
btw...you are wrong.

that is only for madden b/c of all the stuff that needs to be saved (stats/players/season....blah blah blah)

didnt you have a dreamcast? was the same way w/ the visual concepts football/baseball/basketball games

Old 11-26-01, 01:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Max Fischer

btw...you are wrong.

that is only for madden b/c of all the stuff that needs to be saved (stats/players/season....blah blah blah)

didnt you have a dreamcast? was the same way w/ the visual concepts football/baseball/basketball games

What am I wrong about?
Old 11-26-01, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Max Fischer

btw...you are wrong.

All star baseball for the cube requires a whole memory card to save too... not just madden
Old 11-26-01, 12:53 PM
Banned

For sports go with Playstation2. Xbox has only 1 sports game right now (NFL Fever) and it sucks real bad. PS2 has EA Sports and Sega Sports games out right now.
Old 11-26-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: A question for all you video game junkies

Originally posted by chaz
I am thinking of buying a new system, yes i still have Playstation 1. I was pretty much set on buying Playstation 2, but with the arrival of Game Cube and X-Box, i dont know which one to go with. I primarily enjoy playing sports games. All the reviews i have read say go with X-Box, but i dont know if i want to shell out all that $$$. Any suggestions?
If you don't want to spend all that money, then the PS2 isn't the right choice either... same price as the X-Box. More games available for the PS2, but the system doesn't have as much under the hood as the X-Box. You do have a PS1 which means you'll be able to play your old PS1 games on the PS2... but if that's all you're going to be able to afford doing, then just keep playing them on your PS1. I'd say get a Dreamcast. Gamecube is cheaper than PS2 or Xbox, but do you like those types of games? I'd suggest waiting until the PS2 comes down in price. If you really want a new system now - get a DC... for the same cost as an Xbox or PS2 system alone, you can get a DC and 25 games.
Old 11-26-01, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by lesterlong
For sports go with Playstation2. Xbox has only 1 sports game right now (NFL Fever) and it sucks real bad. PS2 has EA Sports and Sega Sports games out right now.
Huh? Let's see, XBox is on path to have 6 football games. Fever, Madden, QB Club, 2k2, Blitz, and ESPN. Hockey they have Hitz and NHL 2002 will be out. Basketball has Live, Inside Drive and 2K2 down the road. I would assume they will have college titles from EA too for both football and basketball. Baseball, well it's too early to tell, but I would imagine that they will have the EA title, plus their own and WS2k2. Racing, well both Nascar games, F1, Sega GT, etc. Oddballs include UFC Tapout, Knockout Kings, Mike Tysons Boxing, WWF Raw, World Billiards Tourney, etc.

Anyway, point being it's XBox or PS2 for sports. Personally I play a lot of sports games and went XBox because of memory (in the sense of saving games and better AI if utilized) and graphics possibilities. PS2 has more available right now, but in sports you want the newest anyway, so that isn't much of an issue as you want the games as they come out. It's a coin toss in this case. I would just get whichever strikes your fancy as they're both the same price (sans memory card expenses for PS2).

Oh yeah, another factor would be what your friends have. No need learning a PS2 game or XBox if they have the opposite system. That's not a huge issue, but it does help with trading and such.
Old 11-26-01, 01:31 PM

Get a DC for 69.00 with 3 sports games,2 great,1 suckypick up games at randem for 10 t0 20$$$ wait a year or so and get ether system,

NFL 2K1 that you get with the DC is Kick Asssssss.at 69.00 you can`t go wrong.

i can see all games at flea markets for 3-5$$$ by next summer

tommy
Old 11-26-01, 02:09 PM

I have to say XBOX does seem to have the best sports titles. If you already have a PS then maybe you should get PS2, that way you can still play your old games.
Old 11-26-01, 02:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say all three next-gen systems will have pretty equal support as far as sports games go. I mean they will all get all the EA games and Sega Sports games and, with a few exceptions, those are the only ones worth playing IMO.

I went with the Gamecube because it is $100 cheaper, I love Nintendo and Rare games, the Resident Evil series is exclusive to it for the time being, and it is getting all the sports games I care about. The memory card isn't a big deal. I just bought 2 of them. One to use for regular games, and one to use for whatever sports game I'm playing a season in at the moment. I generally only play one season and then just play exhibition games, so I don't need a card for every sports game. Madden only takes 3 blocks on the GC card to save the settings, you just need a whole card to save the season info, or the Franchise mode info.
Old 11-26-01, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The PS2 sports games has, so far, come out before the X-Box's. So if you feel that you can wait for the minor graphical updates, then you should get the X-Box. Otherwise, the PS2 probably is a better choice, especially since most PS1 accessories (like extra gamepads, multitaps, etc.) will work with the PS2.
Old 11-26-01, 03:21 PM

The PS2 sports games has, so far, come out before the X-Box's. So if you feel that you can wait for the minor graphical updates, then you should get the X-Box. Otherwise, the PS2 probably is a better choice, especially since most PS1 accessories (like extra gamepads, multitaps, etc.) will work with the PS2.
This is a good point for the time being. The question is whether or not this will hold true in the long run. I would have to imagine that in the next gen sports games, barring an exclusive agreement, games will launch on the same date. This will ease advertising for the producers of the game. Of course there will be delays for specific games (bugs, additional features, etc), but you won't see the differences that you see now.
Old 11-26-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mmeadows

This is a good point for the time being. The question is whether or not this will hold true in the long run. I would have to imagine that in the next gen sports games, barring an exclusive agreement, games will launch on the same date. This will ease advertising for the producers of the game. Of course there will be delays for specific games (bugs, additional features, etc), but you won't see the differences that you see now.
True, but it is very possible that since the PS2 has a substantially larger base than the X-Box, the PS2 version will inevitably come first to satisfy the largest demand. Also, due to some graphical enhancements, the X-Box version may take a slight bit more time to develop.
Old 11-27-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
chaz,

Like you, I'm a sports gamer. Like you, I am an owner of a PS1. In your post you didn't say how many PS1 games you own but I'll presume you had quite a few.

Anyway, I went with an X-Box. Like others have stated (correctly) Microsoft is getting every license available for sport games. It will take awhile to get titles like FIFA and College sports but if PS2 owners remember it also took awhile for that to happen as well. I picked up Madden and NBA Live 2002. I also got Dead or Alive 3 (killer game! back to sports though). Keep in mind, X-Box isn't even a month old. The games that are out now are just launch games. Hit any gaming web site with a release calendar to see the exciting sport games coming out from EA, Sega-Visual Concepts (can't wait for NFL 2K2), Konami, Midway, and Activision, not only Microsoft.

Let us know what you decide to purchase.
Old 11-27-01, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

What am I wrong about?
My bad.

I was saying you were wrong about your comment that every EA game will take a full memory card.

Most of them won't...madden was an exception.

SSX Tricky and Fifa both take up very few blocks and I'm in assumption that it will be the same way with future non-stat heavy EA games.