Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do you think of Crash on PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of Crash on PS2?

Just picked this up tonight. I was going to get it for my wife for X-mas but her interest when I told her about it was poor....so I treated myself instead.

So far my biggest problem with the game is that the load times are way longer than any other game I've ever played. UGH! It's not really that graphics heavy of game so I was kinda bummed that it's so slow.

The only other bad thing is that when you are guiding Crash away from the screen and have to jump over something it's real hard to tell when to jump. Judging the depth is very tough.

Those bad things aside it's still a very good game. The new modes of transportation are great.

Spoiler:
The biplane was so cool. It's a shame the level was so short.

The game doesn't seem to have many levels but some of them are very tough and I'm sure I'll be some time mastering them all. I'm hoping my wofe plays it since she always liked the other ones. She thought the levels looked tough but I'm sure she'll be playing soon enough.
Old 11-25-01, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the Crash series when it was on PS1, but once I heard that Naughty Dog would be giving up the reigns of the Crash franchise, I had a feeling that the future Crash games wouldn't be as good as the past ones. From what I hear, Wrath of Cortex is a decent game.
Old 11-25-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'll buy a stop watch and time the loading periods. I can actually get up, walk to the bathroom, take a leak, come back and get comfy before the game comes back on.

I thought the game might suffer as well because of having a different company make it but you'd never know by gameplay.

The second boss is giving me some beating right now.....just like they always did in the older games. Same old Crash
Old 11-25-01, 01:39 AM

The loading times were so bad that I couldn't take it anymore and I sold my copy on ebay =)
Old 11-25-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The load times do suck, but my wife seems to like the game. I bought it for her, while I got MGS2.

Once I'm done with MGS2, I'll try out Crash for myself.

Speaking of loading times. We were at my inlaws and we're playing Crash Team Racing. The load times on that kinda sucked too, so maybe Crash games just have bad load times.
Old 11-25-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I'm passing on Crash and following the Naughty Dog boys over to Jak and Daxter. That game looks SWEET, and there's no loading times at all in the game. It sounds very nice, indeed.
Old 11-25-01, 09:34 AM

I have to agree...the LOAD TIMES SUCK!!!! I brought my PS2 with me to a family Thanksgiving dinner and my little cousins (ages 5 and 9) wanted to play Crash seeing the cartoon like case. During the load time, it gave the kids enough time to fight over what game to play next and Crash never even got started.
Old 11-25-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BigDave
Speaking of loading times. We were at my inlaws and we're playing Crash Team Racing. The load times on that kinda sucked too, so maybe Crash games just have bad load times.
The load times for CTR were never this bad. It was a bit of a wait but not nearly as slow and annoying.

This is certainly not a game to show off the speed and quality of the system.

I'm hoping to rent Jak and Daxter here soon. I was impressed with what I've heard so far.
Old 11-26-01, 05:28 PM
Cat

My girlfriend was complaining because I wasn't getting any games that she likes, so I got the new Crash and she absolutely loves it. However, the first thing she said was, "Why does it take so long to load?" We played it after our Black Friday shopping experience for several hours and it was pretty fun. Didn't seem to be any different than that older Crash games that I have played.

Cat
Old 11-26-01, 09:49 PM

Other than the horrid load times (40-50 seconds) the game is just like the other Crash titles before it. Now and then poor camera angles cost you more lives than you really need to lose.

The flying levels are a lot of fun, though the kamikaze ships on Coco's space level made it very annoying.

The "monkey ball" (Crash in a rotating sphere like Super Monkey Ball) levels are also done well.

The "robot suit" levels are ok but the targeting system doesn't work too well so you end up missing enemies.

Maybe this will be the last of the Crash titles.