Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

XM satellite radio:opinions

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing ads for XM satellite radio on tv.

Anyone have this? How much is it how does it work etc.. looks kind of cool to me.
Old 11-23-01, 10:13 AM

Go to http://www.xmradio.com for the info you need on how it works and etc.

The cost is $9.95 a month, plus the initial cost of a receiver that can pick up the broadcasts. I'm actually interested in it myself, but since I live in a city and my apartment is an interior unit against another building, I'm leery on how well the repeaters actually work.

On the other hand, my sister's fiancée works at CC in Madison, WI and they have it hooked up through a car stereo unit there. He said it is pretty cool and sounds good, but then again Madison doesn't have the physical obstacles that Chicago has.
Old 11-23-01, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had it for about a week now and it is the best investment I have ever made in a car radio. It is worth the $9.99 a month. I'm not in my car all that much but the stations they offer are the ones i listen to all the time. I never listen to my locals or use my cd player anymore. Why? You don't really need to with 100 stations. Also, another plus is if you want to a song played email them and they will play it usually in an hour or so. It also sound better then a cd player.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-01, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thought it was really cool until I found out that half the channels STILL have commercials. So what's the point?
Old 11-24-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RoQuEr
thought it was really cool until I found out that half the channels STILL have commercials. So what's the point?
Are you not willing to pay for sound quality?
Old 11-25-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
What's the selection of stations like? Our digital cable (Charter) has 40 some channels of digital music. Sound quality is great, but selection is terrible. A whole channel of lulabys, seasonal holiday music, only 1 blues channel, hardly any classical, and at least 15 channels of latin music (mariachi, salsa, etc). After the initial novelty of it wore off, I've never listened to it again.

A friend used to have the DMX system through his cable company and it was much better. He had classic and contemporary blues, hard rock, heavy metal, classic country, several different varieties of jazz, etc.
Old 11-25-01, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Jason
What's the selection of stations like? Our digital cable (Charter) has 40 some channels of digital music. Sound quality is great, but selection is terrible. A whole channel of lulabys, seasonal holiday music, only 1 blues channel, hardly any classical, and at least 15 channels of latin music (mariachi, salsa, etc). After the initial novelty of it wore off, I've never listened to it again.

A friend used to have the DMX system through his cable company and it was much better. He had classic and contemporary blues, hard rock, heavy metal, classic country, several different varieties of jazz, etc.
Your channels through Charter are actually DMX channels, albeit a limited selection of them. When TCI (Charter took over a number of their systems when ATT bought TCI) introduced digitial cable the music channels were supposed to be one of those extra perks that convinced you to pay the extra for digital cable. I don't remeber my channels being as bad as you describe when I had access to them, but they could have changed. The full DMX music channel lineup is not too bad, but I always thought it was a little pricey if my memory serves me right.
Old 11-26-01, 01:16 PM

I've been tempted to get this, but since I don't spend a great deal of time in the car, I also want to be able to listen to this at home. I know there are receiver units that can be used both in the car and with a home receiver. Has anyone had any experience with using one of these units? Are they easy to connect/disconnect?
Old 11-29-01, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully soon it will be in all car stereos. Its a great service.

Yes some have commercials - such as the major news and talk channels, etc. Imagine news and talk that you can understand clearly without that nasty AM radio sound.

But they have lots of cool stuff exclusive to XM like new artists chanels, indie artists, etc. Pat DiNizio from The Smithereens even has his own radio show on there and plays great indie rock.

Its a very good service - If you spend a lot of time in your car go get one. Im waiting for the receiver to be integrated into a head unit.
Old 11-29-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Many formats(radio station feeds) from around the country are contributing music, news and talk shows to XM and as mentioned above it's pretty diverse.

This is a NEW thing so of course it's going through growing pains. But this is industry wide and thus far it's not to bad.

I hear TRUCK DRIVERS love XM because they can go from coast to coast listening to the same XM station withtouth losing the singal.

Obviously the INTERNATIONAL potential for satt radio is HUGE...

Imagine getting your favorite talk show while vacationing in Europe or Asia? Pretty cool huh!

Sirius is coming out next year and will be XM's competitor.
Old 11-30-01, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sirius seems pretty old school compared to XM -

XM seems to be hipper and to understand the audience better- XM is doing lots of cool things such as indie channels, exclusive live tracks, etc.

Sirius has had lots of problems and lost upper management- they are already struggling before they even launch.