Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

new member - best hook-up with old tv?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and was curious if anyone could offer me some advise on the best way to hook-up a dvd player to a tv with no inputs or outputs except the input used for the cable. I have a dvd player in my living room hooked up to a newer tv and a nice sound system, I get how to do that. I was just wondering what sort of adapters are available, if any, to hook-up a player to my much smaller, older tv in my bedroom. I just ordered the Apex 1500 from CircuitCity.com for 69.99 and that is the player I will be adding when I receive it, I am assuming I will need some sort of adapter because I know due to Macrovision you can't run the signal through a VCR and I am assuming this player does not have a direct output that will plug directly into the cable input on the tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
Old 11-23-01, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the forum!!

RF Modulator

This is what you'll need to do what you wanna do. This particular one goes on sale quite often at Radio Shack for 19.95. Or you could pick up a no name brand at your local electronics store. You put the composite cable (that's the red/yellow/white connectors) into the modulator and get a coax cable to run from the modulator to the television set's RF Jack (that's the round socket with the threads and the hole in the middle.

Have Fun!!!
Old 11-23-01, 12:30 PM

Thank you for the welcome. Will the RF Modulator work even if the tv is hooked up to a VCR as well? Will the Sima CopyMaster work if a VCR is being used?
thanks
Old 11-23-01, 04:05 PM

If your VCR is hooked into the TV via the composite connection then you can use the modulator no problem and just hook it to the TV's RF jack. If you've got a coax cable coming out from the VCR to the TV you're going to need to get an A/V switch as well. Not sure what exactly you mean about the CopyMaster. As long as the DVD player isn't passed thru the VCR you won't have any Macrovision problems.
Old 11-23-01, 04:15 PM

Any suggestions on an actual A/V switch, any links?
thanks for you help!
Old 11-23-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Sima Copy Master doesn't do a very good job with DVD, it was designed more with the VHS type of Macrovision in mind. For DVD, you need the Sima SCC Color Corrector. The SCC goes for about $100 at www.cameraworld.com .
Old 11-23-01, 06:02 PM

Hmm... Radio Shack carries an RF switch, that's basically an RF combiner with a toggle switch on it but I can't seem to find it on their webpage you might go to the store and ask for one. They do sell RF Combiners which you could probably get away with using just make sure whatever source you were NOT using at the moment was turned off. I know you're looking for just a cheap setup but bear in mind that the picture quality is going to be pretty bad, you might consider hitting up one of the holiday sales for a newer tv with composite inputs.
Old 11-26-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The modulator should have an RF pass-through, so you should be able to connect the modulator between the VCR and the TV without the need for a switch.

The model linked below even has automatic switching, which will automatically switch between VCR and DVD whenever you turn the DVD player on.