Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DC console question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-01, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC console question

Ok, now that I finally have a DC I am wondering if anyone thinks the system is realy loud? I have played three different games on it and throughtout the entire game when it reads the cd it makes a loud...well cd reading sound. I don't remember my friend's DCs being that loud but maybe I just never noticed. Also, it won't read the Sega Game Sampler cd that came with it. Is this normal or should I call the Sega number tomorrow because mine has a problem?
Old 11-22-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup it is loud, it isn't just you. That is one of the things I first noticed about it.

I think the GC's fan takes second place though.
Old 11-22-01, 10:09 PM

Hmm. I didn't notice my friends GC being loud when I played it but then again neither did I notice his DC. It makes my PS2 seem so quiet, and I even have it sideways!
Old 11-22-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha everytime I play the thing I think someone turned a vaccum cleaner on.
Old 11-22-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Psssh, i couldn't hear the gamecube at all. thought that was one of the greatest things about it after listening to my PS2 scream for the past year.
Old 11-23-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah the DC does make a loud sound. You'll get used to it after a while.
Also if you're using a VMU, when the battery runs out and you dont replace it. It'll make a beeping noise when you turn on your DC. And I have yet to replace the battery. Dont worry it'll still work, but only when hooked up to the controller.
Old 11-23-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But about your second question... Yes your DC should be able to read the "sampler" Cd. If it doesn't I'd take it back and exchange it for another dreamcast. If it won't read that one, maybe it won't read other games either.

On the other hand, maybe the problem is with the sampler cd itself. Maybe you could borrow another one from a friend and try it in your DC.
Old 11-23-01, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Mitsurugi
Yeah the DC does make a loud sound. You'll get used to it after a while.
Also if you're using a VMU, when the battery runs out and you dont replace it. It'll make a beeping noise when you turn on your DC. And I have yet to replace the battery. Dont worry it'll still work, but only when hooked up to the controller.
Haha. I always thought that VMU's were cool and I can't wait to get a mini game on it or something cool...but the best part when I opened it was pulling that little tab out. I have never seen someone do this before. At that moment as the VMU beeps and comes on it just impresed me, and it makes me wonder why some people dislike this system. Sega has such good ideas but maybe they are before their time?

Shuki: Thanks for the idea. I will try another sampler and hopefully it will run.

P.S. I heard the newer Dreamcasts do't play burned discs. Even if they do, how do you tell when your DC was manufactured? Does it have anything to do with the date the system defualts on when you first boot it?
Old 11-23-01, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

look here for the burned disc info.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=159650