Reload this Page >

Anyone beat Luigi's Mansion yet?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-22-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I blew through the game and though it's a lot of fun it is short. However, the final boss is tough. Anybody beat
Spoiler:
Bowser\King Boo
yet. He takes off so much of my energy so fast that I can't last long enough to even take even half of his.
Old 11-22-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How short is it? I'm really on the fence with buying this one.
Old 11-22-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Just curious. I just go to the room with the Fortune Teller. About how far am I?
Old 11-23-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally beat the game. I will put the details below in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
Bowser throws three spiked balls. You have to run up and suck the ball onto your vacuum. It won't move to you so you actually have to touch it with the vaccum. After you have it start moving backwards. Bowser will run up to you and lower his head to suck you up. When he does this release the ball and his head will pop off. King Boo will come out stunned and you have to start sucking his hit points away, but he has 500 so it takes several tries. While you are sucking his hit points keep moving because the Bowser head will float over you and drop ice on you. If it hits you, press A and move to break free, because you loose hit points fast. This part was tough, but if you time it right you can move before the ice lands on you. Eventually King Boo will recover and put the head back on to start everything again.

This next part is important and is where I was making my biggest mistake. When Bowser throws the balls try not to be too far away. If you are, instead of running up to you Bowser will jump into the air and try to land on you for major damage. If this happens abandon the ball and run the other way fast.

When you have taken off a lot of Boo's hit points he will put the head on backwards and start running around blind. Try to stay out of his way, because if he hits you it will take off a bunch of your hearts.

Repeat the hitting him with the ball and sucking up King Boo's hit points and you will beat him. It took me several times through to get the timing down.

After you beat him the ending sequence starts. Its cute, but there is not much to it. Save the game and you can look at the complete gallery check your score and rank (I was a B) and you can also play the hidden mansion which is just like the first, but with a few changes.

A nice game that I really enjoyed, but very short. It's at least worth a rental. I played for about 11-12 hours total and caught all 50 Boos. I needed no hints or help until the final boss. Just examine everthing, remember the clues and you will find the two hidden treasure rooms and defeat the ghosts without too many problems. I will probably play the hidden mansion at some point, but right now I'm going back to Golden Sun.

Last edited by darkside; 11-23-01 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-23-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also beat it very recently and recieving a *ahem* rank e lol but anyways it was the most fun with video games I've had in a while, albeit too short but fun nonetheless and I can see revisiting it later on in the Gamecube's life! Now back to Rogue Leader and try to get all gold medals *snicker*
Old 11-23-01, 04:18 PM

My friend got GC the day it came out, he didn't have a lot of cash on him so he bought just one game (Lugis Mansion). He said he liked it a lot for about a week. The next week he was really mad that he wasted his money on a game that is sooooo easy he was done in 10 days. I have never played the game fully. Although I have tryed it and it seemed really good, but easy.
Old 11-24-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow! You guys have already beaten this game and found it easy? I wish I had that problem. I find this game infuriatingly difficult because I never know what to do. I've defeated the first boss, but now I'm just roaming through the house endlessly looking for any kind of clue as to what to do next. I've sucked up lots of mice and bats and opened every drawer and closet I can, but I'm clueless as to what comes next. I found the ballroom but can't seem to clear the room of those pesky ghosts with pitchforks and masks. What's up with them?
Old 11-24-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
I found the ballroom but can't seem to clear the room of those pesky ghosts with pitchforks and masks. What's up with them?
To defeat them you first have to suck their masks off. Just back up a little to avoid their pitchforks and keep sucking with the vacuum and the masks will come off. Then you can shine the flashlight in their face and catch them like the regular ghosts.
Old 11-24-01, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
Wow! You guys have already beaten this game and found it easy? I wish I had that problem. I find this game infuriatingly difficult because I never know what to do. I've defeated the first boss, but now I'm just roaming through the house endlessly looking for any kind of clue as to what to do next. I've sucked up lots of mice and bats and opened every drawer and closet I can, but I'm clueless as to what comes next.
If you get stuck, just go to www.gamefaqs.com and search on luigi's mansion.

I got stuck a couple times because I missed something hidden in a mirror or just not obvious what to do next.
Old 01-18-02, 04:38 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
I just beat it an hour ago... took me 5 tries to beat the boss... pretty simple if you get a groove going.

I ranked "C"... my bro and I did it in about 20 +/- hours... great graphics, great enviroments, great overall game style...

the hardest ghost...

Spoiler:
Vincent Van Gore --- Those extra 21 ghosts (7 sets of 3) caught me off guard... I hate the banana ghosts!

oh and...

Spoiler:
... so far the only change I've found in the hidden mansion is the chandaleer in the foyer falls on you if you stand under it

... and here's a tip...

Spoiler:
... like running? Try the treadmill!!!!
Old 01-18-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I beat it in about 10 hours. I got a B rating. I think it is a fantastic game. Most underrated game of the year IMO.
Old 01-18-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't beat it fast but took my time and explored every nook and cranny. Ended up with an A rating and played it through again in the second mansion which really is the same thing only a little harder. I bought it from half for 40 and then sold it on ebay for 38 so I sure got my money's worth. Sure was a lot of fun!
Old 01-18-02, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Spoiler:
... so far the only change I've found in the hidden mansion is the chandaleer in the foyer falls on you if you stand under it
That can happen in the regular mansion too. It happened to me the first time I played.
Spoiler:
Maybe because I pointed the vacuum at it? I assumed that's what caused it, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 01-18-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I beat it in about 12 or so hours, loved it, sure it was a little easy, but tons of great tricks and stuff, great graphics.

Get all the $$ you can, and your payoff at the end will be better.
Old 01-19-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I ended up with a D rating. I was pretty disappointed because I thought I did a good job collecting money. I definitely have to play through the game again and do a better job. What's different the 2nd time through?
Old 01-19-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Questions:

1.) Do you get to see a different ending if you get a A rank?
2.) Is the ending different with the hidden mansion?

Thanks!