Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Will Best Buy price match after the fact?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 09:04 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I bought a GameCube today at Wal*Mart, and then went to Best Buy to get the "$20 off three games" deal and got a controller while I was at it (which they had for $34.99).

Over dinner tonight, my wife shows me that at Wal*Mart they are only $29.96. I didn't even think to get a controller from them... I was so excited they had them in (I was just asking an employee when they thought they'd be getting more in, when she said they just got some an 1/2 hour ago).

Can I take that ad to Best Buy with my reciept, and get reimbursed the difference?

-- If not, I will just hand them back the controller and ask for a refund (since it is not opened, I won't have to fear for a dreaded restocking fee), walk across the street and grab a controller from Wal*Mart. (You might say 'why the hastle for $5, but I have something else to take back too.)
Old 11-21-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I take that ad to Best Buy with my reciept, and get reimbursed the difference?

Yes, but you only have 30 days from the date of your Best Buy purchase to get your difference. However, please note that you will now stand in a long line because it is the holidays, so do this on your day off with nothing else planned so you won't be one of those pissy customers.
Old 11-21-01, 11:44 PM

Thanks PB... and here's a second question:

The ad in question (K-mart, not Wal*Mart) expired today... the day I purchased it... will it still work?
Old 11-22-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ad in question (K-mart, not Wal*Mart) expired today... the day I purchased it... will it still work?

I hope I got this responce to you in time, but I'm sure I didn't. Anyways, the rule is that you have 30 days from the date of purchase to price match your purchase. This applies to any advertised item [minus going out of business or non-usual sale prices] within 30 days from your purchase date forward. So in essence you cannot price match to any prior ad's.

The reason is that the store has to have the option to call the competitor and ask if they have the exact item in stock for the advertised price. If they answer no to either question, the company will not price match. So an ad that expires' the same day must be priced matched on that day, not afterwards, even if the item can be proven to have been purchased on that day.
Old 11-23-01, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB

I hope I got this responce to you in time, but I'm sure I didn't. Anyways, the rule is that you have 30 days from the date of purchase to price match your purchase. This applies to any advertised item [minus going out of business or non-usual sale prices] within 30 days from your purchase date forward. So in essence you cannot price match to any prior ad's.

So an ad that expires' the same day must be priced matched on that day, not afterwards, even if the item can be proven to have been purchased on that day.
Edward... the young man that helped me, told me the same thing... but he let it go this time, I was refunded the $5+. He told me that the next time I do this to be sure and do the pricematch while the ad was valid.

I think the bustle of the day helped me on that one. (I was polite, when everyone else was 'pissy'. P,us he let me pay for stuff at the exchange counter... instead of waiting in lines that wrapped all the around to the TVs)
Old 11-25-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Edward... the young man that helped me, told me the same thing... but he let it go this time, I was refunded the $5+. He told me that the next time I do this to be sure and do the pricematch while the ad was valid.

I think the bustle of the day helped me on that one. (I was polite, when everyone else was 'pissy'. P,us he let me pay for stuff at the exchange counter... instead of waiting in lines that wrapped all the around to the TVs)
Consider yourself extremely lucky. Everytime I PM something, they have to call to see if the item is in stock.
Old 11-26-01, 11:26 PM

From my experience, Best Buy WILL match after the fact.

I bought a cable modem router and a few days later noticed that Office Depot had the same router for $20 less (including a rebate). Best Buy refunded the $20 which was sweet in that I did not have to mess with the rebate!

The only caveat is that Best Buy actually called Office Depot to determine if they actually had that router IN STOCK. When they determined that they had the router, Best Buy gave me a $20 credit on my credit card without any further hassle.
Old 11-27-01, 12:33 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I take that BB will price match as long as you bring in an ad within the 30 days of purchase even if the sale in the ad was over.
Old 11-27-01, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
From my experience, Best Buy WILL match after the fact.
That's good to know...also, it depends greatly on the store. Some stores are more lax than others.