Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FFX may be "quietly" out before end of year

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FFX may be "quietly" out before end of year

This just in from The GIA: http://www.thegia.com/news/0111/n20b.html

With Final Fantasy X currently scheduled for a US release in January, Square stands to lose out on the holiday shopping season; something they can ill afford after a financially dismal year and a relatively small release schedule. To avoid this scenario, Square is planning to quietly ship about 500,000 copies of Final Fantasy X by the second or third week of December. The launch is planned to be totally unannounced, with no advertisements of any kind until the official release early next year, so those hoping to play Final Fantasy X over their break would be well advised to keep an eye on their local video game retailer of choice as Christmas draws near.

In further news, the previously announced Final Fantasy X demo on the PlayStation 2 Winter Jampack will merely be a translation of the two previous demos that were seen at the last Tokyo Game Show in October.
Old 11-20-01, 12:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesnt make sense

this doesn't make sense.
unless they have some sort of contract limiting their release date, why would they secretly release 500k copies if the game is done and finished. Why not release all u can for the holidays?
Old 11-20-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

500k is quite a bit for a game, so it's not so "secret". My best guess is that they may only be able to replicate 500k DVDs by that time. Add to that fact that they probably have marketing deals with whoever is doing the advertising to have the ads done by so and so date to coincide with the actual release date.

If that's the case, this release is only "secret" because it isn't being advertised

I know, it sounds stupid that they might only be able to replicate 500k copies, but who knows?
Old 11-20-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Releasing video game paraphernalia secretly is a great idea, just look at the Saturn.

Last edited by Aghama; 11-20-01 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 12:44 PM

ugh...as if I needed another reason to spend money...

god it's a great time to be a gamer!
Old 11-20-01, 01:31 PM

Gamespot has an article about this too:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...825746,00.html
Old 11-20-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
Releasing video game peraphernalia out secretly is a great idea, just look at the Saturn.
Old 11-20-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a strange report, why secretely I don't know. I remember that unlike the overhyped FF8, when FF9 was released it wasn't very hyped or advertised that much but it did have a definite release date and held true to it. If it is being released early I'm going to have to make a mad dash to the stores as soon as someone reports finding it hehehe. I just hope this *limited* quantities thing doesn't get out of hand like with the PS2 launch, then you have to compete with people camping out before the stores open that buy the game just to ebay it and make a profit

Third week of December eh, how about before Christmas that would be even better .
Old 11-20-01, 05:58 PM

I think you guys are looking into the "quiet" part a bit too much. I think AgtFox has hit it right on the noggin with his thoughts. Probably can get a certain amount by a certain time, and don't want to overhype it with commercials due to the strong chance of shortages being released. At least that's my take on it.
Old 11-21-01, 01:51 AM

You don't "secretly" release 500,000 copies of a game. That's more copies than 90% of the games out there sell in a year. Granted this is a Final Fantasy game, but still, that's a lot of games.

Probably the reason why they aren't going to release more is because of the replication time. In order to replicate a PS2 game you have to use one of sony's replication centers. Normally you have to give Sony about 3 months notice to book replication time. This being the Xmas season, i'm sure Sony's running their presses 24-7. 500K is probably all Sony could squeeze in for Square Soft.

-=cysco
Old 11-21-01, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon has this up for preorder on Dec 29th!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...448059-0658121
Old 11-21-01, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just preordered my copy with a $5.00 off coupon they gave me for delaying an order. Maybe there is something to this story.....

If so, those 500,000 will go quick. I would definitely recommend preordering this bad boy as it will more than likely be a tough find on release day in the local B&M's.
Old 11-21-01, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
Releasing video game paraphernalia secretly is a great idea, just look at the Saturn.
One of the single worst decisions in the history of gaming.

Lets move up the release of our console, but not tell any of the third parties making the games or any of our customers.