Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target IS The Grinch

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Target IS The Grinch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Target IS The Grinch

According to their ad, Target is to have "The Grinch" DVD on widescreen. Also according to the ad there is to be a "free" Grinch watch included with the DVD. When I got to the store first thing this morning when they opened all they had are Full Screen. Yet, in the ad a DVD cover labeled WIDESCREEN is shown along with the ad for the "free" watch. I got all the way home before realizing I had picked up the Full Screen (how could I be so stupid?!!!). I assumed it was my error, so I drove all the way back, only to find out that Full Screen is all they have.

Also, when first entering the store I naturally proceeded to the DVD movie section of the store. Imagine my surprise that "The Grinch" was not in the movie department, but in a display by a cash register. Shouldn't DVDs be in the DVD section???

As I was in quite a hurry, I find this morning to have been a total waste of VALUABLE time, energy, and fuel for my car.

Along with a problem I had while buying Sting's new Cd, I won't be shopping at Target anytime soon.
Old 11-25-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Target IS The Grinch

Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
Also, when first entering the store I naturally proceeded to the DVD movie section of the store. Imagine my surprise that "The Grinch" was not in the movie department, but in a display by a cash register. Shouldn't DVDs be in the DVD section???
What's the saying, "Sometimes common sense isn't that common". I think that applies in all too many situations.
Old 11-25-01, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I am a Target employee and work in the elctronics dept.

"Shouldn't DVDs be in the DVD section???"
-The DVDs in this case were placed on one of the check out lanes so that they could sell more. Yes, they are also located in the DVD section in the Music & Movies Dept., on the front endcap where all the new releases are.

"Target is to have "The Grinch" DVD on widescreen"
-Did you ask a team member in the elctronics dept whether they had any in WS? Or did you just assume....

""free" Grinch watch included with the DVD"
-My store had/has them. I am sure they are only while quantities last. Did you ask about this as well?

Why do people shop when they are "in such a hurry"? Just makes things worse. And if you have difficulties locating something, just ask. Not too hard....
Old 11-26-01, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
What's the saying, "Sometimes common sense isn't that common". I think that applies in all too many situations.
I thought the old saying was "Common sense is very uncommon." I guess they're both saying the same thing.
Old 11-26-01, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SirPablo
Ok, I am a Target employee and work in the elctronics dept.
"Shouldn't DVDs be in the DVD section???"
-The DVDs in this case were placed on one of the check out lanes so that they could sell more. Yes, they are also located in the DVD section in the Music & Movies Dept., on the front endcap where all the new releases are.
No, the DVD was NOT in the Music & Movies Dept. Two employees looked after I already had.

Originally posted by SirPablo "Target is to have "The Grinch" DVD on widescreen"
-Did you ask a team member in the elctronics dept whether they had any in WS? Or did you just assume....
Yes, of course I asked a team member in the electronics dept whether they had any in WS. He opened a couple boxes and said all they had were FS.

Originally posted by SirPablo ""free" Grinch watch included with the DVD"
-My store had/has them. I am sure they are only while quantities last. Did you ask about this as well?
Yes, of course I did. The store had the watch but only on the FS versions since they didn't had any WS. Can't get a watch unless it's attached to the DVD, and since they didn't have any WS I can't get the watch. Oh, and I was at the store when they opened so I know for sure they did not have any WS.

Originally posted by SirPablo Why do people shop when they are "in such a hurry"? Just makes things worse. And if you have difficulties locating something, just ask. Not too hard....
Not sure how to respond to that one; are you saying I should afford more time to compensate for stores/employees not having products where they should, and/or not having advertised products? And why do you assume I didn't ask? I was back and forth across the store looking for the DVD and finding the clerk who was supposed to be working in the Electronics Dept but was elsewhere in the store. My time is valuable, and even if I wasn't in a hurry things wouldn't have happened any differently. Don't try to blame me for Target's faults.
Old 11-26-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Easy buddy....just trying to help out.
Old 11-26-01, 09:15 PM
Banned

Would'nt this be case of "bait and switch"? with the ads?
Old 11-27-01, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SirPablo Or did you just assume....
Originally posted by SirPablo.....just ask. Not too hard....
Originally posted by SirPablo Easy buddy....just trying to help out.
Then don't insult me by portraying me as a customer who got pissed for no good reason. I posted this thread because Target screwed up; not because I assumed they did and I didn't make an effort to get what I went there for. Give me credit for going beyond what a customer should do to buy something from Target. And acknowledge that Target failed to do what they should.

Update: I received a form letter email from someone in Target's Guest Relations. Here is the text:

Thank you for your e-mail.

I apologize for any inconvenience this out-of-stock items caused you
and promise that this error was not intentional. Sometimes response to a
particular product is greater than we expect, and once in a rare while
merchandise is not delivered as scheduled.

At this moment, we are unable to confirm if or when this product will
be made available again. The buying department in charge of these products
will certainly be notified of the low inventory. Please continue to
check with your local stores for in-store availability. To find the number to
your nearest Target, please call 1-800-800-8800.

Thank you for being a valued Target guest. Please visit us again at www.target.com

Foster W.
Guest Relations
www.target.com

Waste of a letter. It didn't address my concern. Basically I am still without the WS version with the "free" watch after all my efforts.
Old 11-27-01, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well,
I would have calmly talked to the store manager about getting a raincheck and keeping the free watch. Sounds reasonable.

As for .is it 'SirPablo'?
The guy is trying to do his job.
See, the one thing I have learned through MANY problems, returns, etc....you cannot bag on a company 'In Total'...maybe the COMPANY 'assumed' WS wasn't a neccesity due to research...but this isn't folks like 'Pablo's' problem. I'm sure he would have happily handed you a WS Grinch.
He posts at DVDTalk,right?

Many Best Buy employees are MORONS..but every fifth one you'll get a real gem. Go figure. I've learned to 'feel the employee out' before judging. Then I kill them.

At Target, I have had a LOT of NEGATIVE experiences...sadly, I'd have to place many in the 'Other' Forum, unless Pablo would care to take a stab at a Toy issue.

I don't shop at Target....people scoffed when I said I was boycotting K-Mart, and I just read they are about to be KO'd OFB...we,as consumers have to send a message to retailers.

Now, OTOH, I DO feel for you...simply making the best stop for the deal you wanted..on an ADVERTISED product. False Advertising..I've noticed many companies don't care about that anymore.

If I were you, I'd STILL be complaining....until they gave me a FREE Grinch P&S and watch...and shipped a WS to you.

Now, Pablo...for every employee that may give a damn, like YOU...you know those guys that mock customers and claim "There is nothing in the back" een though you can SEE the pallette?

Yep.
Them.

That is the majority, and they ARE NOT happy to help you find a movie..they lead you over, point like you are a dog and say "If we had it, it would be somewhere here..."

Or a classic line like this from a Movies/Games guy at Target...
"Friends? The TV show? That's not even OUT on DVD..you thinking Seinfeld? We had those..."

Really?
Hold me 200!
(And he said it with such conviction...no crime not to know a TV show, but don't act like an expert..a simple "I don't know" is okay...)

Overall, stores are going P&S..less 'risky'....
What is SO funny is they are pitching WS televisions two aisles over!

So, in the end, many employees DO mean well...but some ruin it for everyone.

(I am also assuming that to Pablo, those comments about asking seem 'natural ' to him...he actually helps....not meant to be insulting..)

This is why I have a golden rule...
If an employee sucks..he's minimum wage..complaining won't even get him written up.
Don't shop thetre. An employee represents what the head manager thinks is 'good'.

If you get a store with GOOD employees, shop up a atorm, and send in notes with names on how much easier it is for you to shop at store X with employees like "*" and "*" and "*"....this goes a long way.

Good luck Grinchin'!
Old 11-27-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had the same issue at a local target.. grinch was only full screen. Went to Fry's to get it (and a bunch of other sale stuff). They ONLY had widescreen and someone was looking for FULL SCREEN. Told him target had em.
Old 11-27-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Target IS The Grinch

Originally posted by Jim in Cincy

Along with a problem I had while buying Sting's new Cd
Is this the All This Time cd? Is It a greatest hits live cd? I recognize a few song titles, but not all.

Plus, my 2 cents: I love shopping Target over Wal-Mart.
Old 11-27-01, 06:16 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Target IS The Grinch

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Is this the All This Time cd? Is It a greatest hits live cd? I recognize a few song titles, but not all.
Yep, that's the one. Very good CD if you like hearing Sting rehash his and The Police's material. A&E had a three hour show last Saturday(?) which was the concert this CD came from. I taped it but haven't watched but a few minutes of it. Maybe they'll release a DVD of it.

Since you brought the subject of the CD up, I'll tell you what my problem was with Target. First of all I couldn't find the CD anywhere in the store. After I trekked across the store I found the clerk and he came back to the music dept and pulled one out of a box. At the checkout the cashier removed the plastic sleeve the CDs come in and rang the CD up. When I got out to my car I went to open the CD so I could listen to it on the way home. Turns out the cashier had broken the case in several areas when she removed the plastic sleeve. So, I had to go back into the store to the Customer Service counter line. When it was my turn I was instructed to go to the music dept and get another copy. I went back there and got the CD myself out of the box (the clerk still hadn't unpacked the box and was nowhere to be seen), and took it back to the Customer Service area. Overall, I got plenty of exercise that morning walking back and forth across the store.

My faith in Target is partially restored as tonight I went to a different Target to buy my father-in-law a remote car starter they had on sale. I couldn't find it in the auto dept (gee, another item not where you'd expect it), but was able to find a helpful and courteous clerk who took me to the winter accessories aisle where it was stocked. Problem though in that there were no more on the shelf. Luckily his hand-held computer told him there were more in the back. He came out a few minutes later with a whole case of them. Target still sucks though as I currently have the P&S Grinch (w/watch) which I paid $17.99 for and now it seems everyone wants $19.99 for the WS version.
Old 11-28-01, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah I had a similar experience at target. I went in to get a copy of Dumbo from their two day ad. of course they are out. I ask for a raincheck and they say no. I ask why and am told they are just not issuing them since the ad was supposed to be for only two days??

I emailed customer service to complain and received almost the same letter.

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the DVDs.

We are sorry if you were not able to purchase the item listed in our
Special 2 Day Sale ad circular. This item was a special purchase for our
stores and we received limited quantities from the manufacturer. As the ad
states "Quantities Limited No Rainchecks."

We are sorry that all of our guests were not able to take advantage of this
special purchase. Because we will not be receiving additional items from
the manufacturer we will not be issuing rainchecks for this item nor will
we be able to transfer merchandise from one location to another.

We will be sure to share your concerns regarding the operations of this
sale with our store executives. We apologize for any frustration.

Thank you for being a valued Target guest. Please visit us again at
www.target.com.

Siddarth
Guest Relations
www.target.com

it seems that they ad was supposed to have said no rainchecks on any item. I still have my ad and the only items that it say no rainchecks on was the audiovox and the xmas items page. the rest of the ad says not one word.

I do love to hear that the dumbo dvd is a special order item and they will not be getting any more

I told them to reread my first email and try actually responding to it instead of sending a form letter to me.

I guess i will keep shopping at wal-mart and stay away from this joke of a company.
Old 11-29-01, 11:48 PM

Target is also awful for price matching. I tried to price match a couple of DVDs in the Best Buy ad the day after Thanksgiving, and they wouldn't do it, saying Best Buy is not a competitor and therefore, they won't. But there's a Best Buy about two blocks away.

Now I know I've price matched at Target in the past, so they really didn't have any reason not to, that I'm aware of. So I wasted my time finding parking, getting in a crowded line on the busiest shopping day of the year, only to be told that I could buy them at regular Target prices? I should've gone to Wal Mart instead. I called the Target 1-800 number and asked what their policy was. I was on hold for at least half and hour, only to be told that managers at each Target have discretion over what to price match, and that they don't have an uniform price matching policy. Add that to their no receipt, no returns or exchanges policy that went into effect earlier this month, and you've got some place where you shouldn't take your holiday shopping.
Old 12-01-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually prefer Target over shopping Wal-mart. It's strange, I really don't expect any Cust. Service no matter where I shop anymore. It makes for a better shopping experience.
Old 12-03-01, 03:01 PM

I've had my share of problems with Target. Remember the free compilation CD's that they had? You bring the coupon to the store, they have NO clue as to what it is, where it is or if they even have it. Call CS, they call store..say ok...they now know about it...but haven't gotten them yet..so I wait a week..go back..same thing....finally, after a bunch of ballahoo, I ended up with a $10 GC...which the corp CS rep said that they told the store to give me, yet when I got there, they tried to reneg..lol..

Not my fault they don't have there ducks in a row. Ended up buying a copy of Evil Dead II..hehe.