Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

quick guys....music piracy 101 needed..the good the bad and anything in between

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 07:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i pretty much know all the bad part about music piracy but i cant find a good arguement for it. btw wrting a page term papaer due tomarrow so anything is appreicated

THanks
Decipher
Old 11-19-01, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Music piracy is bad because it violates our rights to freedom of vision. The more money Britney makes the less clothes she has on. So for the sake of freedom every in the world, buy your music from a respectable source that is sanctioned by Britney.

Thank you and may God bless America.
Old 11-19-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: quick guys....music piracy 101 needed..the good the bad and anything in between

Originally posted by Decipher
i pretty much know all the bad part about music piracy but i cant find a good arguement for it. btw wrting a page term papaer due tomarrow so anything is appreicated

THanks
Decipher
I guess one good thing from Napster (if thats what you're writing about) was that you could try the music before you bought it. The problem was that no one did
Old 11-19-01, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

sampling before buying is a good arugement.like you said liquid..nobody didnt just sample. looks like there isnt anything good about music piracy.
Old 11-19-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Music piracy is good because it allows those without much money who would otherwise be unable to hear songs they'd like experience the pleasure of listening to them whenever they want in near-CD quality. After all, isn't that what life's all about - enjoying yourself and being nice??
Old 11-19-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well I know I'll use anything pirated only to try it before I buy it or if I can't afford it. I will then buy it later when I can afford it, provided I like it.

However, there are certain things I don't buy often, and that's CDs, normally because I only like one song per disc. I also know that so much money goes to the record company and I think that's just wrong.
Old 11-19-01, 08:50 PM

And this has what to do with DVDs?

Moving to MusicTalk.
Old 11-19-01, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple of arguments for piracy. One, many things are slipping away from our history because of extreme copyright laws. Right now, nothing produced in your lifetime will ever go into the public domain. Nothing has for many years. Life of author plus 75 years (sure to be extended when Steamboat Willie comes up for inclusion to public domain) pretty much covers a lot of stuff for a long period of time.

The worst part is, it's the rare Dark Side of the Moon or Metropolis or Of Mice and Men that's commerically viable past about five years. Over time, attrition and damage will take its toll on lesser-known items and they will cease to exist. Right now, one good copy of Metropolis exists, and the owner will not allow it to be distributed. This is a movie that is very influentual on popular movies today, such as The Matrix. To lose it would be losing a bit of history. However, it is almost gone. There are plenty of unremembered films from its era that are gone. They are a part of history, but no one will ever know they existed. Today, many of the video games you played as a kid do not exist, or would not exist if it weren't for pirate sites like The Underdogs. What they are doing is illegal, but it does preserve a historical record. Imagine (not that you'd really want to, but I digress) trying to find a copy of Oasis of the Zombies a hundred years from now, not to mention something to play it on.

Also, don't forget that all art is derivitive of past works. All artists will cite influences that made them create the art they make today. Some of the most revolutionary video games were actually created in the past, and now no one can play them. Do you realize the work that it takes to play a game of M.U.L.E today? Many people still do it, but you're going to either have to find a C-64 emulator and M.U.L.E. rom, which is illegal to distribute and illegal for you to own, or you'll have to actually find a working C-64, buy it, find a working copy of M.U.L.E., then figure out how to interface that C-64 with your cable ready TV without old--style VHF inputs. After you do all that, you've still got to figure out the arcane C-64 commands to play the game. The other side to this coin is, if copyright only lasted five years, someone could sell you an exact copy of this game that ran perfectly on your PC, if you were so interested. They'd probably include a few hundred other forgotten C-64 games on the same CD, and an easy to use emulator. Maybe they'd even provide it for your PS2, X-Box or Gamecube. But, not today. Things pass through their term of usefulness, they are locked in a vault, forgotten. Sometimes the company goes out of business, the vault is lost in a fire, or the software is simply discarded by accident.

Just a thought.
Old 11-19-01, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When you download mp3s, you're downloading communism! lol
Old 11-20-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Take a look at /. (slashdot.org)... They are a Linux/UNIX/Programming/Free-Speech site, one of the most visited on the internet...

Links about music discussions

Should help you on your way...
Old 11-20-01, 02:35 AM

For me, personally, it has exposed me to a lot of artists I would have never heard of otherwise. PLENTY of bands never hit the radios and without mp3s I'd have never heard of them. The years since mp3s have been around and more popular are definitely the years I bought more cds.

Second it allows me to be more selective of the cds I do buy. There are too many cds before mp3s existed that had *maybe* 2 good songs on it the entire disc and the rest sounds like a different band, completey. It helps me make better purchases.

For the fans, it gives a chance to access to rare and live tracks to the bands they already love. I think hearing live mp3s really adds a dimension to bands..and if I haven't heard live versions of some songs, I dont think Id follow the band as much as I would. Again, I think it adds to the fanbase.
Old 11-20-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well,
Count me as the rare exception...
I don't have the time or cash to go buy every new CD that comes out....or to see every band that heads my way...so when someone reccomends something...I download it and burn it...

I mean, I like the Sopranos theme song...so I listened to samples of A3's other music..and DIDN'T like it....so I burned a copy on a "Best Of" CD....

Now, as for the exception...I stopped buying CDs for a LONG time...then I started to download when I got DSL..and when I started hearing stuff I normally would NEVER listen to..like Eminem...hey, it was free...I ended up buying CD after CD...why??

Well, because regardless of what they say, an MP3 is NOT perfect..rarely is,anyway..pops, drops, cuts too soon...
No thanks.

I DO download a new CD...I downloaded the new OZZY cd, didn't like it, and didn't buy it...

I downloaded the new R.E.M. cd, a band I used to HATE, LOVED it, and..BOUGHT it.

As a musician, I have no issue with people downloading my music..hell, my first band, people traded tapes of a crappy demo recording..if it hadn't been for people passing along copies, it wouldn't have given me the op to move on to my new band....
So, 'Boots' helped me...but some of my former bandmates might feel otherwise.

Also, I am confident in my fans...
I know the little weasels trade live sh**, but I ALSO know I got a live CD coming, and people who dig my stuff WILL buy it..NOT d/L it.

Look, I make *decent* cash...not as much as some folks I know...but enough to support my kids and be happy.

If I was down and out, I'd like to think music was free....
It saved my life as a kid, and if 'stealing' from me is gonna help some other kid...fine. Maybe he'll use the saved cash for college texts.

Also, "Piracy" is an odd term....you could tape all of your fave songs off of the radio growing up..and THAT was cool...nobody bitched....now, if you choose your faves and burn them, it is a call to arms?

If you put out a CD, songs 1-12 or whatnot are GOOD..people will buy it..if you put out a CD with 3 good tracks and CRAP...people will pass..and also, as an artist, if people PASS, I know I screwed up.

I like a LOT of the arguments posted above....

But, bear in mind this ONE big, fu**ing hypocrisy...

Dr. Dre and Snoop are "Down" with the street...they talk about drive-bys, Ho's, dealing, stealing...

BUT...

They draw the ethical line on downloading music.

So-
Kill,rape, beat women and Gays....deal drgs-ALL GOOD...
But PAY for your Rap CD's.

Unbelievable....
Old 11-20-01, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
individuals downloading a few songs for personal use, stuff they probably wouldn't buy anyway, hurts no one. Plus there is a chance it will turn them on to a band and they will buy an album because they got to hear the songs first. Also many times a radio station won't name the songs as they play them, so you get a vague idea of who it is and then check napster, go "so that's the name of that song" and then buy it because you liked it so much.

as for mule and the emulator, that's legal if you have a copy of the mule disk, even if the disk has become corrupted
I still have the disks of all my c64 roms, not sure if the disks still work
Old 11-20-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt

as for mule and the emulator, that's legal if you have a copy of the mule disk, even if the disk has become corrupted
I still have the disks of all my c64 roms, not sure if the disks still work
It's questionably legal... however, it is illegal for someone to provide that ROM to you without somehow verifying that you originally owned the program -- which is nearly impossible to do. The emulator itself is on very shaky ground too, Sony tried very hard to sue Bleem! out of existance, and it looks like it succeeded.

If you had never owned the ROM in the first place (say you were too young to have been around during the C64's heyday), and you wanted to play this great old game that someone was talking about... well, good luck finding one on ebay.
Old 11-24-01, 05:00 AM
colossus

Re: quick guys....music piracy 101 needed..the good the bad and anything in between

Originally posted by Decipher
1) Getting "caught up" on stuff you used to own but lost. This is the bulk of my D/Ls.

2) You can't return music that sucks. This is particularly helpful with bands that put out a CD, with one decent song, that you paid $17 for.

3) Out of print music that you bought 20 years ago, probably on vinyl or tape. Greg Lake solo tapes, anyone?

4) It keeps Garth Brooks from getting used CD royalties

5) It irritates Lars Ulrich, even when you're replacing tunes on a scratched copy of 'Ride the Lightning'.

Last edited by colossus; 11-24-01 at 05:03 AM.