Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I Just Got Done Playing My First Game Cube...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from my first Game Cube impression, and I have to say, I was NOT impressed at all. WHen I first saw the controller, I was almost insulted at it's bizarre look, but when I read how great it felt, I quickly decided that looks don't mean anything. Besides, EVERY controller looks weird to begin with, you just grow used to the appearance.

However, as I grabbed the Gamecube controller for the first time, I was not impressed. The thing is just too darned small. I have "average" hands I would say, and I felt constrained. I couldn't really maneuever well without having my wrists start to hurt. That and the fact that there are only 4 main buttons kind of concerned me. The r and l buttons fit nice, but it was the feel of the controller as a whole that turned me off.

The game I played? None other than the highly hyped Star Wars : Rogue Squadron II. I'm an avid fan of the original trilogy, and I enjoyed the first game for the 64. However, I was not impressed by this version at all. People say it makes you feel like you're in the movie, and I'll have to disagree. The sound was pretty bad (of course this wasn't on a top-notch sound system) and the game just didn't LOOK good. It looked "good," yes, but not as good as a 128 bit next-generation system is supposed to look. I could have easily had comparable graphics on the Dreamcast, a system that is now deceased.

On top of that, I felt much like I was playing the same game over again. Why? Because I was. I don't know how many times people can play the same major Star Wars battles. I've played the Hoth battle, for example, 4 times now. And each time it gets less and less exciting. They say that Rogue Squadron is going to be a "system seller," well I wouldn't plan on it. Even the die-hard Star Wars fans like myself grow tired of the same game eventually.

Please note that this is not a console bashing post, but rather constructive criticism of one of the new systems. I don't mean to "offend" anyone or anything, I am just trying to throw an avid gamer's opinion on the new system.

I'm welcome to all comments....
Old 11-19-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my comment is that I love my cube. I'm having a blast playing it. though i still prefer my PS2 just because more games are out for it. I'm still waiting on Resident Evil series, mario, zelda, metroid, etc...
Old 11-19-01, 07:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I Just Got Done Playing My First Game Cube...

Originally posted by Seagraves
They say that Rogue Squadron is going to be a "system seller," well I wouldn't plan on it. Even the die-hard Star Wars fans like myself grow tired of the same game eventually.
Everyone around me in line at Wal-mart Friday was most excited about getting Rogue Leader, so I'd say it's a system seller. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it won't sell millions of copies and millions of GC's.

The graphics and sound are excellent if you have a decent stereo and a decent tv to play it on. If you don't you should quit buying new video game systems until you have decent equipment to use it on. Everyone I know is blown away by by the graphics and sound, and all the reviews I've read harked on them as well. I don't know what the hell standars your using to judge them. Did you only play the first death star level? The graphics there don't seem stellar as the background is just the gray death star, which is pretty bland. Many levels are simply breathtaking. I've had a Dreamcast since Oct. 1999 and have always loved it, but you're crazy if you think it can pump out graphics anywhere near as impressive as that.

BTW I think the GC controller is the best every. It is just the right size and my fingers comfortably hit all the buttons. The X-box controller is the one that is terrible IMO. It is much too big, and some of the buttons are very uncomfortable for me to reach.

It all comes down to what you prefer.
Old 11-19-01, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Too bad you didn't like the cube, but we are all different.

I for one have to disagree with you on every point.

The Controller is one of the best I've ever used. The sound and look of the games is excellent. At least to me.

As far as Star Wars not being a system seller, I couldn't even find it at the three stores I tried on Sunday, but I know Best Buy has it and I will get it this week. Of the other people I know that bought Cubes 4 of them bought Rogue Squadron so its definitely a system seller.

However, not every game is for everyone and if you are tired of replaying the Star Wars battles I can understand it. At least you gave it a try. I didn't think I would like Luigi's Mansion, but after playing it for an hour I can't put it down.

I'm so impressed with the Gamecube that it is now my number 1 system. Even when I get a PS2 next year I'm going to get the multisystem games on the Gamecube even if I have to wait a little longer. The Controller and fast load times are amazing, plus it's an easy system to take with me where ever I go. I may even pick up the portable screen for it.
Old 11-20-01, 01:00 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I agree with Seagraves...

but than again I didn't like the first Rogue Squadron for N64... so I have absolutely no idea why I got the sequel? Maybe because I heard it was going to be a good game... so I got it, after five minutes I packed everything up. but I wasn't impressed with the GameCube either... I felt like I was playing X-Wing for the PC.

But for those of you who are enjoying your system. That's great... until Super Smash Bros Melee gets released... mine's just going to sit in the box.
Old 11-20-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the IGN boards:

Mmmm.......yummy!
Old 11-20-01, 09:50 AM

Re: Re: I Just Got Done Playing My First Game Cube...

Originally posted by joshhinkle

The graphics and sound are excellent if you have a decent stereo and a decent tv to play it on. If you don't you should quit buying new video game systems until you have decent equipment to use it on. Everyone I know is blown away by by the graphics and sound, and all the reviews I've read harked on them as well. I don't know what the hell standars your using to judge them. Did you only play the first death star level? The graphics there don't seem stellar as the background is just the gray death star, which is pretty bland. Many levels are simply breathtaking. I've had a Dreamcast since Oct. 1999 and have always loved it, but you're crazy if you think it can pump out graphics anywhere near as impressive as that.

It all comes down to what you prefer.

I have to agree...The space battles are SWEEEETT!!! The one with the debris field is amazing...It is the first game where I felt like it actually took place in space...The opening with the torn apart Star Destroyer overhead is nice. I also LOVE the look of the battle against the Star Destroyer. TIES Everywhere....I can't wait until I reach the ROTJ Battle. The visuals are Breath Taking....And the System DOES make a Big Difference

Bruce
Old 11-20-01, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd have to say that I like the cube's design and such, and the games, Rogue Leader for example are nice, as is Super Monkey Ball (read: Addiction) but it's just not enough to make me buy it yet. The controller, while weird looking, seems as if I could get used to it after a while, but it's just small (picture dean martin in Canonball Run saying the line "Small. Small. S-M- All"). I'm a big guy though, so I can understand the controller being nice for people with small hands, like carnies and kids.

And while Rogue Leader looks nice, dare I say it's rehash? If I had a gamecube, I'd own it, but it doesn't make me want to buy it, ya know? Not that the Xbox had anything to make me want to buy it, other than it's potential to revolutionize the game world...dare I say on launch day for both, I was envious of PS2 owners? For some reason, I want Spy Hunter so bad I can taste it...
Old 11-20-01, 12:50 PM

hehe...you shouldn't...spy hunter sucked!
Old 11-20-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whoa! that picture looks awesome, I need that TV now!!!! aarghh but I'm outta money
Old 11-20-01, 02:26 PM

I thought Rogue Leader or Rogue Squadron or whatever it was on the Cube was pretty but boring. Maybe it's just not my cup 'o tea.
Old 11-20-01, 04:08 PM
Banned

i sat down to play game cube at a buddies place last night. wasn't impressed....

the game cube was really small (i guess thats cool) and the controller was ok. the mini discs the games play on are really neat, but a bad idea IMHO. nintendo always insists on being different. the future of entertainment is dvd, which is why i feel gamecube should have been a dvd player and the games stored on dvd.....

i played the star wars rogue squadron, the game was ok, but for a next gen system, i expected unreal graphics.....the graphics on PS2 are better to me, although maybe it was only this one game? the picture didn't seem sharp either and the colors were dull.

ps: whats the deal with having to sit through all the BS at the opening of the game to play?????

Last edited by MACD23; 11-20-01 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 10:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by MACD23

the mini discs the games play on are really neat, but a bad idea IMHO. nintendo always insists on being different. the future of entertainment is dvd, which is why i feel gamecube should have been a dvd player and the games stored on dvd.....
The small disks are a great idea. They will greatly cut down on piracy. Sure, the Hong Kong a$$wipes will still find a way to pirate them, but it keeps cheapskates with cd burners from simply borrowing/renting a game and burning it. The DVD games will be tough to do for a while, but DVD burners will be common in the next few years. Less pirating, means more money for Nintendo, which means less chance of GC dieing off. IMO the main reason the Dreamcast die so soon was piracy. The PSX had a large enough user base to with stand rampant piracy, the DC did not and died partly because of it.
Old 11-20-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I Just Got Done Playing My First Game Cube...

Originally posted by Seagraves

The game I played? None other than the highly hyped Star Wars : Rogue Squadron II. ...It looked "good," yes, but not as good as a 128 bit next-generation system is supposed to look. I could have easily had comparable graphics on the Dreamcast, a system that is now deceased.

I said the same thing to my buddy when playing the first level...I am an avid DC supporter...but when the second level started up...man...no way the DC could do that...no way.

The Battle Of Endor as well...no way the DC could pull that off, and I love my DC to death.
Old 11-21-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as mini DVDs being a bad idea, I totally disagree. They seem to cut loading times way down. Most of the games I have tried so far load so fast it seems like you are playing on a cartridge. If it means some games might have to be multi-disc then I can live with it.

Last edited by darkside; 11-21-01 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-21-01, 01:00 AM
Retired

Originally posted by darkside
If it means some games might have to be multi-disc then I can live with it.
No kidding, it is well worth the trade off for the faster load times and the reduced risk of piracy from Nintendo's view point. Besides, they hold 1.5 GB of data, that should be more than enough for the average game. I mean there weren't all that many multi-CD games and cd's only hold 650MB.

The only thing that really hordes space is FMV and Music/Dialogue, and neither of those things make games any more fun to play--they just add to the "wow" factor. But as you said, if a developer wants to throw in a ton of FMV or sound, they can just release it on 2 or 3 discs just like they did with the DC and PSX.