Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 08:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Gamecube First Impressions

The Console: I knew it was going to be small, but it was still a shocker to pull it out of the box. Don't buy this if you have a dog or small child at home...it's a choking hazard! Load times are very very quick on all the games I played.

The Controller: A big improvment over the N64 controller. A little smallish, but still manageable. Only drawback is that a lot of games want you hitting the a & b buttons at the same time, which is kind of hard to do. I'm getting the hang of it, though.

The games:

Wave Race: this is a blast. I never owned the N64 version, so it's new to me. A lot of options and courses. No slowdown at all on multiplayer, which is nice. The waves and physics are fantastic. Drawback: the textures (which aren't that high resolution) give this an N64 feel. I'm guessing they just ported them over from the original version of the game.

Rogue Leader: nothing will show off your new cube like this game. The graphics are fantastic...it often feels like you are watching the movies rather than playing a game. Lots of detail, but still with a great framerate. Gameplay is identical to the original Rogue Squadron game. Lots of goodies to unlock means a high replay value (too bad the game is single player only). This game uses every button on the controller, so it's a nice game for learning the system as well. Heck, it even uses the Cube's built-in calendar...whatever time it is in real life will be the time of day in the game! The game's incredible.

Super Monkey Ball: when I picked this up at TRU, the clerk there told me to be thankful that I preordered it, since everybody was clamoring to get this game. When I got it home, I found out why. It's great! The graphics are pleasant, but simple...but they don't matter much because the gameplay is so solid. The single player game is quite nice, with 90 levels that get difficult very quickly but still offer a lot of variety. The game really shines as a multi-player vehicle, with many options and mini-games to play. A year ago, who would've thunk that the Gamecube's "killer app" would have been made by Sega?
Old 11-19-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love this console. The load times on everything I have tried so far are super quick. I love the size of it and considering I have several other consoles it was easy to find a place for the Gamecube and its nice I can share S-video cables with the N64.

The Controller is becoming my alltime favorite. It fits my hands perfectly and once I got the button layout down playing games is very effortless.

Luigi's Mansion is a heck of a lot more fun than I though it would be. It is just about catching ghosts, but figuring out how to catch most of them really adds to the challenge. It's almost as much a puzzle game as anything else. A great game to play with a group and switch off with other people while you try to figure out how to catch the ghosts.

Rouge Squadron is amazing. Probably the best Star Wars game ever. I think its probably the killer ap for the system.

Tony Hawk 3 is just like the PS2 version, but I found it easier to pull off the tricks with the Gamecube controller.

Props to Nintendo for having such a great console for $200, pricing their memory cards at a reasonable $15, and letting me use my S-video cable from my N64 with the cube. The Gamecube is an incredible value for the money. I have finally found a successor for my much beloved Dreamcast.
Old 11-19-01, 10:30 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The system:

Actually not quite as tiny as I was expecting. I knew it was about the same length and width as the little paper thing the demo cd rom came in, so that didn't surprise me. However, I didn't realized how tall it is. But I guess it has to be since it is a Gamecube. I got a black one, and think it is a pretty cool looking piece of hardware. I like that it looks like a video game machine, where as the PS2 and X-box more or less look like another piece of home theater hardware. I know some people prefer that, but not me. I keep my video game systems under the TV behind wooden doors, and my home theater hardware behind glass doors to the left of the TV, so I don't need my game systems to "fit in" with the home theater components. I need them to be compact, so I can easily fit 2 or 3 underneath the TV. The X-box would probably take up more space than my GC and Dreamcast do together. I also like the handle. It will be handy when I take it to my parents house for the holidays, or to a friends house. The thing is so think, it would be tough to hold it in one had any other way. The last thing that impressed me is how quite it runs. It doesn't make the strange buzzing or whirring noises that Dreamcast and PS1 made.

The controller:

After spending 10+ hours with it yesterday, I feel confident in saying that it is the best designed controller I've ever used. It fits my hands perfectly and my fingers fall right on the L and R triggers. It's the only controller I've used that makes it comfortable to hold it with your fingers on the triggers all time. The button layout is good as well. It's easy to memorize as the different size and shape of the buttons expedites the process. Now for 2 complaints. The z button is pretty awkward to use. I mean it's not horrible, it just feel like a normal trigger button like on Dual Shock or SNES controller, and I never got comfortable with those. The other complaint is the size of the D-pad. It is so small that it would seem almost unusable, but I haven't played a game that I needed to use it in yet, beyond issuing comands to the wingmen in Rogue Leader. It would probably suck for fighting games, but you could always pick up an arcade stick, or wait for Capcom to put out their fighting pad.

The Games:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader: The best game to showcase your new system. The graphics are phenomenal, the sound is great (I only have plain Pro Logic not PLII and it sounds great), and most of all the control and gameplay is easy to get into and tons of fun. I've played up through the Battle of Hoth so far and have loved every second of it. The fact that I'm a huge Star Wars fan doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the game any either.

Madden 2002: Best football game I've ever played period. I was a NFL2Kx fan before, but this is so much better. The graphics and animation are loads better, and the game is so realistic. It is so full of little details; players getting there helmets knocked off, players stretching on the sideline, QB's holding there head in frustration after a penalty calls back a big play etc. The commentary is much better too. It gets old like any sports game, but it makes sense. In NFL2k1 you get sh!t like "It's anyone's game" When it's 56-3 with a minute left. This is a great game, but it obviously isn't a system seller since it's on all three systems.

Wave Race: Blue Storm: Next to Rogue Leader, this is probably the second best game to demo your new systems graphical power. The water is phenomenal, it moves realistically like in the N64 version, but now it looks much more realistic too. It accurately relects everything, and is simply breathtaking is some places. The new weather effects are amazing too, especially the thunderstorm. The control is perfect. Many reviewers have griped about it being too lose, but that is just a bullsh!t whiney gripe. Jet ski's don't handle like race cars in real life and they shouldn't i the game either. If you've played the N64 version, you'll have no problems with the control in this one. The game seems fairly challenging. I've done the normal circuit about 10 times and have done no better than 3rd place. The game stays fresh and wave height and whether make the races different everytime. You battle the waves and course more than the other racers, which I like a lot. It can get frustrating as you can be in first place for 2.9 laps, and then hit something right before the finish line and lose.

Tony Hawk 3: Again not a system seller since it's on PS2 and will be on X-box next year, but it is a very impressive game none the less. I won't elaborate too much on this one, because I'm sure most everyone's played the first two games in this is basically more of the same. The new level goals are much more interesting than the ones in the first two games, and the graphics are obviously much improved. The create a skater is much more functional, I was actually able to make one that looked like me. Just had to put sun glasses on him as his face wasn't perfect. I haven't tried the create-a-park feature yet, but it is supposed to be much more intuitive. There have been rumors that this port isn't as good as the PS2 version, but that's just bullsh!t. I've played both, they look and play the same. Actually the GC version is slightly better for me as I found it easier to play with the GC controller than with the Dual Shock. Many of the rumors came from places giving the PS2 versoin a 10 and the GC version a 9.1 or something. This is likely due to the fact that it is a straight port, it adds nothing, and loses nothing, from the PS2 version. Hence it's not going to get high marks for ingenuity or innovation which would hurt the final score a little. At any rate if you are a Tony Hawk fan and have a GC, you must pick up this game. Don't listen to the baseless criticism.
Old 11-19-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hardware

I had seen it in the store, had seen pictures of it next to other systems, but I was still surprised by its size. I picked up a black, and it is definitely the sleekest looking of the systems out there now. I was prepared to hate the handle, but it actually looks pretty good and adds a little roundness to the design.

The controller is definitely top notch. I think the criticism of the Z button is a little over-blown. There's enough feedback for me to tell when it's depressed, and it's not uncomfortable for me to use it while my middle finger is on the R button.

The Software

Unfortunately, SMB hasn't shipped yet so all I have is Rogue Leader (I'll probably pick up Wave Race at some point, but I already have too many games to play now). The graphics are of course outstanding. I never bought the first one, so the gameplay is fresh and exciting for me, though I still haven't gotten the hang of using the radar in deep space. One nice touch is that on Tatooine, the time of day varies depending on when you play it. Basically a system seller for me.

Last edited by Aghama; 11-20-01 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-19-01, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The System:

I had seen the Gamecube at E3 this year, but was still a little surprised by how small the thing is. I've got mine (a black one as well) sitting on top of my PS2 and it is dwarfed by the Sony Machine. I can't imagine what it would look like next to the Xbox. Another thing i like about the unit is how quiet it is. It always anoyed me how loud the Dreamcast was. My only complaint with the cube is the quality of the cables and the length of the power cord. (both very minimal gripes)

The Controller:

This is what made me fall in love with the system at E3. The controller is perfect. Period. The D-pad is intentionally small since it is used more as a menue navigation (i.e. weapon select etc) than a movement controll. Nintendo is really encouraging all games to use the analog stick. I wish the cord for the controller was about 1-2 feet longer. It's nothing a $5 cable extension won't fix.

Games:

Rogue Leader:
In a word. Awesome. Definately the hardware mover in their lineup. Graphics are amazing (will be even better once Nintendo sends our some conponent cables) and control is perfect. this is a must have for any Cube owner regardless if they're a Starwars fan or not.

Madden:
Well... It's football. I've never been a Madden fan, but I must say this one is by far the best in the series. Maybe I just wasn't in a football mood yesterday, but I wasn't overly excited about this game. I'll probably be returning it for a copy of Monkey Ball or wait for Smash Bros.

Tony Hawk 3:
This is one of my favorite gaming franchises out there. And this is by far the best in the series. The game is a direct port of the PS2 version, but that's not a bad thing. The game is not a showcase for the Cube's power, but if you don't have the PS2 version and you want an very fun game. Check this one out.

Gripes
OK, now for my one gripe. I can't believe Nintendo didn't have component video cables available for the launch of their system. I was really looking forward to getting home and playing my new Cube on my HDTV in progressive scan mode. Instead, i've been having to use the stock composite cables to hook it up to a 55 inch TV. Not a pretty picture. Hopefully the cables will be available this week. I want to play Rogue Leader how it was intended to be played.

-=Cysco
Old 11-19-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cysco
I can't believe Nintendo didn't have component video cables available for the launch of their system.
Nintendo didn't have any cables available at launch. Has there been any word on whether or not they're going to sell them from anywhere else besides their online store?
Old 11-19-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think they're only available from the online store. There are still not many HDTV users and I would imagine they were unsure of this add-on selling well.
Old 11-19-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If nothing else, the component cables made by Interact will be in the stores. I'd still rather go for the ones from the Nintendo store though.
Old 11-21-01, 12:51 AM
Retired

Just thought I'd post some update impressions after a few more days, and several more hours of playing the GC.

The controller: The more I use, the more I love it. I can play with hours with no discomfort whatsoever. The only other controller I can say that about is the N64. The Dual Shock is fine as long as I don't have to use the shoulder buttons very much. DC is too big for long gaming sessions, and the X-box controller made my hands hurt after only a few minutes at the kiosk.

Rogue Leader: Simply amazing. The first level isn't all that impressive, but the second level is phenomenal graphically. I had some concern that it would be too easy after blowing through the first 3 missions. But the 4th is tough as nails and took me a good while to beat, and I'm still struggling with the 5th level.

Wave Race: A perfect sequel to the N64 game IMO. The graphics are great, the control is great, and the challenge is perfect. It probably took me 20 trys to get first on the normal circuit, and I haven't gotten past the 3rd race of the Hard circuit yet in 10 or so trys. I can't imagine how tough the Expert tracks will be. The great thing is that the difficulty isn't cheap. You simply have to know the tracks, know how to steer well, know how to maneuver on the waves, and when to use your turbos. The changing weather and wave height makes each race a fresh experience too. I was also pleasantly surprised to see how different the Hard tracks are from the normal ones. They have the same names, but the course through the lake, bay, etc, is much different, and in the areas that are the same the buoys are placed more difficulty.

THPS3- What can I say, it lives up to the series. The new objectives are much less tedious, and the control seems a little better. The level design is much better than in the previous games and the levels are much bigger and more interactive. I'm having a lot more fun trying to open up the levels in this game than I did with the first two.

Madden 2002- The more I play it, the more I love it. I was a NFL2Kx fan before, but this game has won me over. All the little details in the game are awesome, and the gameplay is spot on. The momentum based physics are simply great. The graphics and animation are much better than the 2K series as well.