Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Movie Talk and Harry Potter

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I realize that Harry Potter is the huge movie right now, but does it have to have 6+ threads on the front page of the Movie Talk forum? Already it seems that the combination of the two forums has caused many threads to get lost in the shuffle, and one film having so many separate threads certainly does not help the matter.

I have nothing against the movie, but perhaps a "One and Only Harry Potter Thread" should be created.
Old 11-18-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
As one of the two more active mods that adminster Movie Talk, I am interested to see what other frequent posters think of this.

The "One and Only" were devised as a solution to flow problems in the really busy forums (i.e., the main forum and Other). Even with all the Harry Potter-related traffic in Movie Talk over the past several days, we are still averaging at or less than one whole screen of threads per day*. As such, I hadn't thought anything had gotten "lost in the shuffle", so to speak.

<small>*At the time of this post, for example, there are still eight threads on the first page that have not been modified since EST yesterday.</small>
Old 11-18-01, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I think if we do "one and only" threads in one section we should do them in ALL sections if there's one topic that keeps getting threads posted on it - in this case, it's Harry Potter, so there should be a one and only thread. Since the theater and movie talk were combined traffic HAS picked up in there and there's a lot more clutter about box office scores etc. for people who are just looking for more "straight" movie talk - a "One and Only" Harry Potter thread (or for other big movies like LOTR, etc.) would be a nice idea to cut down the clutter in there, IMHO...
Old 11-18-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I combined some obvious threads into a couple of One and Only threads. I think a film with so much buzz requires more than one "one and only" thread, but we also don't want a lot of threads filling the forum.

I agree with Justin that the Movie Forum is not overrun with threads at this point.
Old 11-19-01, 12:26 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also tend to agree with Justin's take on the situation. One and only's were created to address problems in busy forums. Much as I would like it to be, Movie Talk isn't so busy that this is necessarily a concern for now.

If you think a thread still has life in it, it's ok to bump it to get more responses.

Perhaps a more interesting question might be whether combining the two forums has served to turn off the old Movie Talk forum regulars, as I don't seem to see as much discussion of older films as I used to.
Old 11-19-01, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
I also tend to agree with Justin's take on the situation. One and only's were created to address problems in busy forums. Much as I would like it to be, Movie Talk isn't so busy that this is necessarily a concern for now.

If you think a thread still has life in it, it's ok to bump it to get more responses.

Perhaps a more interesting question might be whether combining the two forums has served to turn off the old Movie Talk forum regulars, as I don't seem to see as much discussion of older films as I used to.
Those are all good points and upon closer analysis I think your final comment sum is a better description of my problem. It seems that the movie forum is now mainly current films, as those films stir much more interest than other older films. What was nice about the movie forum, though it did not have as much traffic as other forums is that it allowed the threads to stay near the top so people could add when they saw fit. That way, even an obscure title would get a few responsed before drifting away. Now, the new movie threads are really overwhelming the place, and may be causing the situation you mentioned.