Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How difficult is MGS2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult is MGS2?

I never owned a PSX, but watched some friends here and there play MGS1 and it looked pretty damn cool. But nevertheless, I never got more than 5 minutes in with the game...

...Now that I am days away from pickin' up a PS2 and the overly-hyped MGS2, I wanted to make sure this game isn't incredibly difficult and pretty much impossible to complete. I am a decently skilled gamer I guess, 19 years old, played games for some good years now.

I just don't want to be overly excited picking up this game, and finding that the controls, and understanding all that is involved in this complex title will frustrate me. Just need some reassurance that I'll be able to understand everything in this game even though I have no Metal Gear Solid experience whatsoever.
Old 11-17-01, 05:58 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

A friend of mine said the game is easy to control. He liked the camera angles and prefered them over the last MGS game. He also said it took him a little over 11 hours to beat on normal.
Old 11-17-01, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MGS to me was kind of disappointing as it was way too easy. It basically held your hand through the game and you really didn't have any option other than to solve it since it was impossible to really do the wrong thing.
Old 11-17-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah the first one rocked and MGS2 rules supreme! It is kinda difficult as you need to avoid the enemies and when they spot you its tough to hide because they're a lot smarter and call for help, etc. I think you'll be ok if you play it for the first time, its a little confusing at first with all the moves and how to shoot in first person but they explain it pretty well even before you get a chance to start playing. Just remember to use your radar thats in the corner of the screen, its a life saver. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 11-17-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In it's review gamespot said mgs2 had medium difficulty and a half hour learning curve.
Old 11-17-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The game has a "easy" and "Very easy" difficulty levels. If you are really bad, you can alway switch to one of those. Me personally, I am not very good with action games, but find normal mode more than accurate so its not that difficult. I have not played MSG1 either, but there is an option to read up on the MSG1 story on the disc.

This game is unbelievable!!
You will not be sorry, so I would recommend you pick it up.
Old 11-18-01, 01:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MGS1 frustrated me the first time I played it, but today I decided to give it another chance, and I played the heck out of it. Pretty fun. And I know one of the reasons people love MGS is the story, but man, there were just SO much cinematics... at times, I was just like, "SHUT UP! Let me get back to the game! If I wanted to watch a movie, I would have popped in a DVD!" I wish there was a way to jump from line to line in the cinematics like there is in the codec... in the movie, it just jumps right to the next scene. There's no way to speed through it without possibly missing something important.

Despite my whining, it was a good gaming experience.

Fire bad!
Old 11-19-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm about 5 hours in on 'easy' and I'm thinking of starting over in normal mode. I feel like I'm cheating myself. Nothing has been that challenging so far. Sure, I've had to continue a few times, but it seems like 'easy' is too easy.

The main thing I've noticed is that I don't think I'm seeing that amazing AI that people are raving about since I'm on easy mode. Basically, I can get out of any situation just by running away. Also, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in hiding bodies. I can just leave 'em where they are and if another guard does find the body (which is rare, they don't seem to show up), he just shrugs and walks away. I think I've seen a guard wake another guard up a couple of times. I'm thinking that on normal mode it will be harder to get away when I screw up.

I read a post on another forum where a guy claimed that while hiding in the restroom stall, a guard knocked on the doors and eventually peeked over the door. That's the stuff I want to see!
Old 11-19-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cool I'll have to try that, there are lots of little small details like that in the game that make it so cool, even though running usually helps. I don't know what its like on easy but when your spotted on normal mode the guards call for reinforcements and sure enough, about 3 guys come and help out. They even cross over to the next area sometimes (you know when the game blacks out and loads a new area), sometimes they walk through the door and start shooting. They usually wake each other up in my game as well so you might want to try switching to normal. I do see the Game Over screen quite a bit but thats the fun of it.

This is what happened to me today when I was playing. I was in a small enclosed area and was sneaking around, saw a guard so I shot a tranquilizer in him so he's fast asleep. I was taking my time searching the area and all of a sudden a guard on the other end of the sleeping soldiers radio started calling in saying "Unit F?Your late with your report? Why haven't you checked in yet?" Stuff like that went on for a little bit and eventually the guard on the other end of the radio said "Unit F has stopped responding, send a patrol group to check it out." The next thing I know 4 soldiers bust through the door complete with red searching vision on the radar, spot me, and then I get the crap kicked outta me. It was suprising and fun even though I died

The guards also have funny reactions when you use a box to hide.

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-19-01 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-19-01, 07:11 PM

guarenteed easier than Ghost Recon....UGH!!

I know this post doesn't really help, but I just got done bitching about how friggin hard that game is...

back on point...

Go buy it, you'll be happy
Old 11-20-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh well, it's only 5 hours invested. I think I'll switch to normal. I've heard 'Unit X, you're late with your report' only a couple of times. I may get frustrated and go back to my previous saves, but I think it will be better if the AI is bumped up a bit.

So far, guards have NEVER chased me into another area. That makes the 2nd part of the game rather easy, since all of those areas are connected and somewhat small (trying not to spoil anything for those who haven't gotten that far).

I switched to normal mode and it's MUCH better. Harder, but a lot more exciting. Static Cling posted a story in another thread that was very similar to an experience I had. It was hidden in his thread, but I don't think it's a spoiler. Just in case though...

Ugh. What color do you guys make your text so it doesn't show up unless it's highlighted? In the meantime, don't read any further if you don't want to know how the guards' AI is represented in the game (not a story spoiler by any means).

I was hiding in a locker while a guard swept the room. I could see him through the slits in the locker door. I had the AP sensor equipped so I could hear his heartbeat thumping louder and louder as he approached. He stood in front of the locker for a bit and then finally went away. Just when I thought I was in the clear, he came back and finally opened the door. I think it startled him to see me since I was able to get the jump on him. He called for reinforcements (I wasn't quick enough I guess), but I hit him with a dart and jumped back in the same closet when he fell to the floor. The reinforcements swept the room and woke up my 'victim'. Same deal, I'm holding my breath as each guard swings over near my locker, heartbeats thumping. When you can see those shields that the alert team carries, your stomach just drops. Fortunately, the alert ended and they left the room. The guard I shot stood there for a moment with the '?' over his head while looking at my locker. I thought he was going to open the door again, but he eventually left the room. VERY COOL!

Last edited by Gromit; 11-20-01 at 08:36 PM.