Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

critique my short CS/MGS clip, please :)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 08:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

well, i'm just a bit pissed b/c amazon pushed back the shipping date of my MGS2 order and had a little free time soooo....

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/summoner1

grab the file "jumping3.avi" in the folder "file." It's 6 seconds in divx format and 1MB. i didn't mess too much with compression since it's pretty short. enjoy and thanks for lookin'

(edit: ok, did a little bit of compression for the bandwidth challenged, cut it down to about 500 KB. file is "jumping4.avi")

--HN

Last edited by HN; 11-15-01 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-15-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thats pretty cool for doing something with your free time. How long did it take you to make it and what program did you use? I used to fool around with 3D Studio Max awhile ago, now I usually use Blender becuase their forums are excellent and the people their know their stuff about 3D modeling and are willing to help (plus it doesn't cost an arm and a leg ) It would be cool if you made a long movie of that and that guy who jumped off the building snuck around like Snake. I know this isn't really on topic though but hey, its got the MGS theme in it so that counts......sorta
Old 11-16-01, 12:13 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
WTF? I just typed up a whole thing of the process but when went to "submit reply" i had to relogin and it all got erased?!

Ah well--basically i was saying i'm kinda embarrassed to say that i didn't use any 3d program nor do i know how to use one .

the whole thing was done with 2 computers on a counter strike lan game. 1 comp was a spectator (used as the 'camera') and the other was the terrorist (used as the 'actor').

basically each angle you see (sideview near and far, top view, and a front view that i decided not to use) had to be set up each time. position the camera, start recording movie, go over to other computer to move the 'actor.'

Summary of tools used:
-2 computers
-half life / counter strike
-"startmovie" command
-mkmovie.exe to extract frames from file created by "startmovie"
-Fast Movie Processor to crop and compile frames into .avi
-Total Recorder to record sound from MGS2 trailer
-Adobe Premiere to edit/mix sound and video
-VirtualDub for final compression.
-links: http://www.planethalflife.com/vision...ecord01_01.htm
http://www.machinima.com

sounds like a lot of work but it was my first time and i did it alone. hardest part was getting the right camera angles and making sure 'actor' did what i wanted it to do within the shot. would have been much easier if there were two people (one for camera, one for actor).

i actually want to do the entire (4 minute) MGS2 tokyo gameshow trailer in CS using this method. we'll see.....

--HN

p.s. comments and criticisms welcomed. i'd be more than happy to discuss any of my method in detail.

Edit: well well well, look at this. Half Life Movie Producer . looks like that program will save time by converting the half life movie file (*.hlm) into an avi without having to extract the frames first. interesting.

Last edited by HN; 11-16-01 at 12:52 AM.