Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Target Card and buying a new system

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 10:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Target Card and buying a new system

Since this does seem like a good way to buy a system at Target, I'm just wondering about this Target card.

Such as, is there a yearly fee? Can I cancel it shortly after I get it? Is it hard to get? For what reasons do you get approved? Is the approval instaneous? Can I lie on the application (like about what I get paid an hour or my job) and still get approved?

Err.. thanks
Old 11-13-01, 10:46 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
It takes about 5-10 minutes to get approved. All you need is a drivers license and another credit card. There are no yearly fees.They give you a paper card and one-time 10% off card on the spot. I would suggest getting your card the day before if you plan on getting an Xbox/GC on the release date. You can actually pay your card off at their service desk right after you make a purchase. You also get 10% off at target.com as well if you wish.

Last edited by brkhrt7; 11-13-01 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-13-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is quick and painless.
I actually think anyone with a valid ID and a credit card can get approved for the Target Guest Card at least (this is not a major credit card, instead, it's a store account). The Guest Card still gets you the 10% off!
Old 11-14-01, 02:09 AM

Their interest rates are ridiculously high though! Mines was 24.5%......yikes!
Old 11-14-01, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Back when the n64 came out, I signed up for one so I could get 10% off. It was quick and painless. i didn't even pay for the system with the card. I used my normal VISA. I never used the card and thus never even heard from them or received anything from them. No hastle.
Old 11-14-01, 09:28 PM

so you don't even have to use the card in order to use the 10% off coupon that they give you for signing up? if thats the case i may go for it
Old 11-15-01, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, this sounds like a great deal. thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-01, 06:03 PM

I got a target card this morning when i got my xbox.... the total with tax was 289.02. Not bad if you ask me. I walked up to the service desk after i bought it and paid off the balance with another credit card. I'm gonna call customer service tommorrow and cancel the card Quick and painless $30 savings.
Old 11-15-01, 07:13 PM

Does this not go against your credit rating as having another credit card? is it ok to just get cards and cancel them or does it hurt your chances of say getting a loan later in life?
Old 11-15-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PhYbEr
so you don't even have to use the card in order to use the 10% off coupon that they give you for signing up? if thats the case i may go for it
You DO have to use the card for your purchase. On th e 10% off coupon it says "This certificate entitles you to save 10% on one entire Target purchase with your Target credit card." I applied for mine tonight when I got done with work. I was approved fopr the new Target VISA and about 3 seconds and given a $1000 limit. More than enough to get the GC.
Old 11-16-01, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by PhYbEr:

"Does this not go against your credit rating as having another credit card? is it ok to just get cards and cancel them or does it hurt your chances of say getting a loan later in life?"

As a matter of fact it does. Canceling a card after you get it hurts your credit rating. All it will say on your credit report is that it was canceled. It does not say why it was canceled. This puts up a red flag. Here is an example.

I am a stay at home Dad. I have not worked out side of the house in about 5 years. My wife is an Army Nurse and she has been in the service for 16 years. She has been the major bread winner from day one. I have had a few part time jobs, but nothing serious. We recently closed a bunch of department store cards that were in her name and a few major credit cards that were in here name because we didn't need them or the fees were too high. We were in the market for a new car and we were trying to get financing, they did a credit application on each of us to see who would get a better rate. Quess what? My credit rating was significantly higher than hers, and the reason stated was that accounts had been closed and the advice we were given was not to fall for the 10% off gimmick unless we were planning to keep the card. JUst for other info, she has a perfact credit record otherwise. No late payments, etc.

So, cancel your card at your own risk. It would really suck if you couldn't buy a house or a car someday because of $10 - $30 you saved on some toy.