Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone buying a Dolby Pro Logic II reciever for the Gamecube?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 09:21 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that this is Nintendo's answer to the XBox's ingame DD5.1 and the PS2 ingame DTS. It is supposed to sound just as good as Dolby Digital according to many sources.

Since it is a relatively new technology (less than a year old), I was just wondering how many people were going to buy a reciever with it to take advantage in Rogue Leader and future Gamecube games? Also If you are buying the receiver, are you replacing a current DD/DTS receiver without the PL II?

Last edited by Flay; 11-13-01 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-13-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
nope, I'm happy with my Marantz SR-5000. No need to upgrade, since I'm not really chomping at the bit to get a new receiver just for the GC. Not THAT important to me.

If money were no object, I would do it in a second. But it's not necessary to me.
Old 11-13-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm half considering it, but I'd probably downgrade since the Denon I bought was really overkill for my needs anyway. Then again, I don't really care all that much about surround sound in games.
Old 11-13-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe it's just me, but isn't DPL II just DPL matrixed to 5.1? How would that make the sound better than a DD5.1 or DTS in-game equipped game?

I'll stay with my DD/DTS receiver for now. I'd like to hear other games that have DPL II in it for GameCube before even thinking about replacing my receiver. I believe Kenwood sells a receiver with DD/DTS/DPL II all on it for pretty cheap though. I've never owned a Kenwood though...
Old 11-13-01, 10:09 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

That Kenwood retails for about 300 bucks, but that is a lot to spend on surround sound for the Gamecube.

Here is an article on PL II and Rogue Leader: http://cube.ign.com/news/38637.html
Old 11-13-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was just saying in the grand scheme of things, $300 is pretty cheap. For those people that don't have a DD/DTS setup, this would be a good alternative. Of course, I don't know how good Kenwood is .
Old 11-13-01, 10:42 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by AgtFox
Was just saying in the grand scheme of things, $300 is pretty cheap. For those people that don't have a DD/DTS setup, this would be a good alternative. Of course, I don't know how good Kenwood is .
Oh I agree. It just sucks for the people that already have a DD/DTS receiver. It will cost extra for them.
Old 11-13-01, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No way. The $300+ for the Cube and accessories i want is enough..I don't need another couple hundred for a receiver
Old 11-13-01, 10:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, if Dolby Pro Logic II takes off (which it may or may not do) then I suspect that support for it will become standard on most receivers. Rather than going out and buying one now just for the Gamecube, I recommend people wait and see how popular the format becomes. If it's a hit, you'll get it as part of your next sound system upgrade without even trying.
Old 11-13-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Yea I have a Denon 3801 with DD/DTS ES Descrete I figured it would be good for a while. Then the new model comes out with Dolby II oh well. AV is just like computers these days. Time to get seperates.
Old 11-13-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BigDaddy

Yea I have a Denon 3801 with DD/DTS ES Descrete I figured it would be good for a while. Then the new model comes out with Dolby II oh well. AV is just like computers these days. Time to get seperates.
Yeah, ditto. I was thinking of going to seperates in a couple years anyway, I should probably just wait.
Old 11-13-01, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is DPL2 availible on any other fromats besides Camegube games? like dvd's or cd's?

Also, can a reciever have both DD and DPL2 support?
Old 11-13-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mmconhea

Is DPL2 availible on any other fromats besides Camegube games? like dvd's or cd's?

Also, can a reciever have both DD and DPL2 support?
There's no reason for it to be used on DVD's, but I guess it's possible for CD's; it should take up less space than 5.1. And yes, a receiver can have DD, DTS, DPL2, and whatever else.
Old 11-13-01, 12:22 PM
Retired

Nope, I don't care enough about sound in video games to upgrade my receiver that I've only had for a year and a half. Sound doesn't make the game any more fun to play, and having fun is the only thing I care about when playing video games. Plus, from the interviews I read with the guys from Lucasarts who made the game, it still sounds really good in plain old pro-logic.
Old 11-13-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought all DD/DTS have pro logic II built in but I think I'm mistaken...........I think my denon receiver does pro logic II...., but I'm at the compuer lab right now and can't check, I'll have to wait till later in the evening when I get back home.

I agree with everyone else, its not enough for me to upgrade my receiver, I have a limited amount of money. I've already stated how I feel about DD5.1 in games in the PS2 DD5.1 threads, its a cool effect but I don't think it makes or breaks the game. My receiver gets kinda hot too when I watch movies in DD5.1, I don't think I want my receiver to get overworked as I play games more often than I watch movies .

Still, it packs a ton of power (full discrete, high current, baby!) and my speakers are pretty big so the music and explosion will come in great no matter what format the sound is in. Even VHS tapes sound good on my system
Old 11-13-01, 01:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

All DD/DTS have PROLOGIC but not PROLOGIC II.
Old 11-14-01, 09:08 AM

O.K. Pro-Logic II is not competing with any other sound format and in general can be used with any stereo soundtrack to derive 5.1 channels of sound. It is simply an evolution of pro-logic surround sound possible with todays cheap and powerful dsp chips. By next year all surround receivers will have pro-logic II, even the cheapest models.

Pro-logic = stereo soundtrack played through processor to derive 4 channels (left, right, equal l/r becomes center, out of phase sound fed to both surrounds, bass is usual crossover setting for stereo)

Pro-logic II= stereo soundtrack played through processor to derive 5.1 channels (same as above except out of phase info is kept to same l/r channel and placed in surround, thus stereo surround, bass is crossed over at setting user chooses.) The trick to making this work is having a sound processor that can produce out of phase info. in only one audio channel, which I beleive only the gamecube can currently do.

Dolby Digital = compressed audio, can be mono, stereo, or up to 5.1. Actually takes less space then regular cd soundtrack even in 5.1 recordings (thus all dvd video audio is recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS even if it is in mono or stereo). Only the X-Box can do this real time for in game effects.

DTS = compressed audio, same as DD except they have their own software compression scheme. The soundtrack is a larger then DD but smaller then c.d.
Old 11-14-01, 02:44 PM

hmmm. well it looks like Kenwood is the only brand that supports it now. I'm in the market for a new receiver and this just may convince me to go with Kenwood rather than Onkyo.
Old 11-14-01, 03:22 PM

Pro Logic II is considerded superior to DTS and DD???? Did I read that from someone in this post?? Maybe I misread but from every source I've evr read DTS is still the king when it comes to audi quality followed by DD.
Old 11-15-01, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2001 Onkyo's do have Prologic II .... the 494 has an MSRP of $299
Old 11-15-01, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by cubanx
2001 Onkyo's do have Prologic II .... the 494 has an MSRP of $299

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'll pick up one of those if I can find it.