Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FPS recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FPS recommendations??

I have a PC and a DC and would like to have a suggestion or two on which FPS games to get for each. I have the RE series for the DC but I think those are the only FPS games I have. And maybe those don't even really fit into that category?? But I have heard so much good talk about how fun the FPS games are I really would like to try one or two and see if the "work" for me.... Generally I prefer RPG/adventure games overall but I do like a variety as well. Any good suggestions on a FPS game (for pc or dc) with a decent storyline not just a "kill 'em all" plot to the game?? Thanks
Old 11-13-01, 12:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless I misunderstand your abbreviations...

FPS = First Person Shooter... which means you look through the eyes of the character you control, and see what he would see. Examples of this are Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, etc.

RE = Resident Evil, which is a third person game... you see the character you control, and others around him, from an outside perspective.

If you're looking for more third-person games, try Diablo, Diablo II, and DII's add-on pack. Max Payne is also fun.

If you're looking for an FPS... Deus Ex. It's the best FPS I've ever played for the PC. It has many RPG aspects to it... deep plot, the ability to modify your character's abilities and weapons according to what kind of character you want to play as. And you can find it for way cheap right now... $10-$20. The Rainbow Six series is a first person game, but it's more of a thinker, if you play it as intended... it's a tactical anti-terrorist shooter.

JC Denton good!
Old 11-13-01, 01:46 AM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein will be out in a month or so, and I think it's going to really good. You can download a multiplayer test of it at fileplanet ( http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?file=69443 ), but to really enjoy multiplayer you'll probably want to have a fast connection.

Static Cling suggested the Rainbow six series; and while I haven't played any of the earlier ones, I definitely recommend you download the Ghost Recon demo ( http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?file=81431 ).

IGN preview of RtCW -
http://pc.ign.com/previews/13948.html

IGN review of Ghost Recon -
http://pc.ign.com/reviews/16525.html
Old 11-13-01, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well as stated before, RE is not FPS.

as for FPS'ers which i'm in love with..

Half life. thats the basics. you can do so much with the basic half life game. its a kick ass game. then you can play online and with simple upgrades and downloads you got Counter strike, the most addicting thing i can think of.

then you got Deathmatch classic.. which is a wonderful Quake flash back

next up..

Alien vs Predator (1 or 2) both games offer a great game play. and hell Evac mode in Multiplayer is just to much fun.

Quake and doom series

RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN!!! can't wait... as i hear it.. 11/27 is the release date.
Old 11-13-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes I was meaning FPS - first person shooter
And as you can tell I've never played one of those style games so I definitely want to give it a try. I thought the Resident Evil series was first person because of the controls. For instance, when you want to walk forward, you must press the direction the character is facing not necessarily the direction you want to move on the screen. Totally confused?!?! Maybe you know what I mean...

So for sure I want to try a FPS game. Think I should start with Deus Ex? or maybe Half-Life, though I thought that was a "kill 'em all, shoot 'em up" only type game.. Maybe I'm wrong... again
Old 11-13-01, 10:18 AM

Try half-life. I picked it up 2 days ago, and I love it. You have to kill aliens, and the military death squad. it also has some puzzles, like find the switch that will turn on the machine, that kills the boss monster. Nice weapons. You also have to be aware that the military will use tactics to kill you--adds an interesting spin on things
Old 11-13-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am addicted to Soldier of Fortune. MURDER DEATH KILL MURDER DEATH KILL
Old 11-13-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm Mr. FPS... It's my one true love as far as gaming genres go. I've played them all. Here's my "short" list. It's in order of your potential entertainment value, but all titles listed should be on your shopping list as they are the cream of the crop. No dogs in here.

For the PC:

Half-Life - an essential. You might as well get Counterstrike (if you have a fast enough internet connection) and Blue Shift (which comes with Opposing Force) as well. Blue Shift will install a patch that makes Half Life look cooler and kinda brings the graphics up to date.
Soldier of Fortune - locational body damage. It's really fun to blow people's arms and legs off. It may grow tired after awhile, but it's still a blast.
Serious Sam - budget title with outstanding graphics. This is just plain serious fun. No plot or story to worry about - just shooting up an endless supply of monsters. This is what FPS games used to be about.
Deus-Ex - X-Files storyline filled with conspiracy theories and such. It's got alot of what made Half-Life so cool, but it moves at a different pace.
Hitman - high learning curve at first, but once you get the hang of it this game rocks. It's not a FPS entirely - cuz you're POV is similar to that of Tomb Raider... somewhere in the middle really.
Undying - this game will scare the poop out of you. If you like horror and the Resident Evil series - this is a must have.
Aliens VS. Predator 2 - or the first one. This is a really scary game as well set in the world of Aliens but it includes predators.
Max Payne - bullet time will entertain you for a few hours, but the game only requires about 10 hours of your time tops. Short game, but technically fun.
No One Lives Forever - this game was alot of fun. It's like Austin Powers. Graphics are good and the missions are well conceived. There's a bit of adventure in this too.

For the Dreamcast:

Alone in the Dark - it's out for the PC, but I got it for my dreamcast. It plays quite nicely and it's fairly creepy. It's like Resident Evil sort of... the AITD series is the grandaddy of RE anyway.

For the future:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - this is a remake of the grandaddy of FPS games. The demos don't have me as impressed as some in the lists above, but it's certainly worth a look. I'm gonna get it.
Duke Nukem Forever - This game will be the next revolution in First Person Shooter games... the trailer I've seen of this game looks nothing short of amazing. I can't wait till this title comes out.
Rainbow Six - series... This isn't the game you want to start out with, but after you've played a bunch of FPS games and want something more tactical - this might be for you. Also try Delta Force which I prefer and Operation Flashpoint which looks to be a combination of both Rainbow Six, Delta Force and a little bit of Half-Life. There's also Project I'm Going In which is somewhere between Delta Force and Soldier of Fortune. These games are all games that you want to get later once you're hooked on FPS games.
Codename: Outbreak looks like it's going to be fun. Time will tell.
Old 11-14-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I have given about four titles to my wife for my Christmas want list

Is Blue Shift an expansion to HL or is it a stand alone game in the HL series?

Also, some internet connection questions:
1. How much better would a .5 meg ADSL connection be as compared to a regular internet connection?
2. And from there a 1.5 meg ADSL connection comparing to both .5 meg ADSL and regular connection?

I am in Tel-Aviv and the ADSL is the only other internet option I have. I would like to get into some online gaming (both FPS and RPG) but not with a 41k connection

Last edited by Shuki; 11-14-01 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-14-01, 01:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

I love Thief, never played Thief 2 but heard it was good.
Old 11-14-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

both blue shift and opposing force are stand alone.
Old 11-14-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so if you were starting from the beginning with FPS games (like I am) would you start with the original Half Life game or with Blue Shift (I guess better graphics?)?
Old 11-14-01, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shuki
so if you were starting from the beginning with FPS games (like I am) would you start with the original Half Life game or with Blue Shift (I guess better graphics?)?
Half-Life for sure... Blue Shift has a patch on the disc that improves the graphics of the original Half-Life, but the original HL is great anyway. If you play Blue Shift first, you'll miss all the "in-jokes". There are references to the character you play in HL that appear in Blue Shift and some of them might amount to a spoiler. Wouldn't want that. Plus - Blue Shift is really short... thankfully, the Blue Shift disc comes with Opposing Force (which is longer) and the patch for HL. I guess I'd say get em both and just play HL first.
Old 11-14-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Mr. FPS (aka trigger) for your extensive list of recommendations. I know two games that are for sure on the want list for Christmas (though I will probably break down and buy them before Dec. 25 patience is not one of my strong points) So I suppose I'm ready to venture out into another genre in the fantastic world of gaming
Old 11-14-01, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trigger, you want to bust some Counter strike or Death Match Classic sometime?

AvP2 is just scary as all hell to play. all you hear is carnage!!
Old 11-14-01, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Trigger, you want to bust some Counter strike or Death Match Classic sometime?

AvP2 is just scary as all hell to play. all you hear is carnage!!
You can find me in Wolfenstein test 2 these days. When my new computer comes in, I'll reinstall Counterstrike and then I'll be up for a game. I've been ownin on Wolfenstein though. I play all FPS games online as Trigger9mm and I've been doing that since the BBS Doom 2 days. My stats at Theclq.com don't look that impressive, but I'm pretty good. I did rank 104th out of tens of thousands one week for LMCTF for Quake 2.