Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

For those without preorders: How are you planning to score a X-box or Gamecube?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-01, 02:04 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning on hitting the local Wal-mart on the 17th to try and get a Gamecube. They are getting 60 in and are selling them first come, first serve at midnight. I haven't decided what time to show up, probably around 8 or 9 p.m. as I don't want to wait around all that long, and I don't think the demand will be that high here. They said they don't expect to sell out until Sunday afternoon, but I'll go that night just to be safe.

If I don't score one there I'll try the 24hr Super K-mart (haven't been able to get a straight answer on whether they will sell at midnight or not yet), then the next Wal-mart 15 mins away, the next one 30 mins away and the one in my parent's hometown about an hour away.

If I still have no luck, I'll stay at my parents for the night, and try Circuit City. Toy's R Us and KB are options, but it sounds like they are only doing bundles. KB's is supposedly $399 for a GC and 3 games, no controller or memory card. That is a rip off as it is $50 over MSRP for the GC and 3 games. Hopefully TRU's bundle will at least be no more than MSRP, if that's the case it will be my last option.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 11-12-01 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-12-01, 02:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not 100 percent sure I'm getting one yet, but I live in a pretty commercial area with lots of options.

1. Walmart nearby at midnight

2. Next morning choices: (all close together) Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us.

3. If all of the above are empty, I'll drive a short ways to another area full of places: 2 Targets, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Toys R Us.
Old 11-12-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Same here Wal Mart for both.
Old 11-12-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be arriving at 7am at a Target which opens at 8am. Hopefully this will give me enough time to get one of the 30 XBOX's they 'assume' they are getting for release day. I hope I am at least one of the first 10 because I've already talked to one of the electronics employees and he stated they've already received 10 as of Nov. 8th. They are still waiting for the remaining 20.
Old 11-12-01, 04:59 PM

One other thing I want to say, if you haven't already pre-ordered, Target will be giving away a free, portable, 3-legged chair for purchasing an XBOX along with a booklet that gives up to $25 in savings when purchasing games and accessories.
I'm assuming this booklet will actually have three $5-off any XBOX game purchase and two $5-off any XBOX accessory purchase, but I could be way off on this.

Last edited by Centurion; 11-12-01 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-12-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the reason behind all this strategy? I thought the XBOX was going to be in plentiful supply. I'm just gonna go in sometime next week and buy one from Bestbuy or Circuit City. Is it going to be in short supply or something?
Old 11-13-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by huzefa
What is the reason behind all this strategy? I thought the XBOX was going to be in plentiful supply. I'm just gonna go in sometime next week and buy one from Bestbuy or Circuit City. Is it going to be in short supply or something?
Less than the PS2 apparently.
Old 11-13-01, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

my GameCube strat

1)Go to 24 hour "Super Wal Mart"
2)Go to 24 hour "regual Wal Mart"
3)Go to Target
4)Go to Best Buy
5)Mom and pop video game store

Hopefully one of those will pan out
Old 11-13-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
my GameCube strat

1)Go to 24 hour "Super Wal Mart"
2)Go to 24 hour "regual Wal Mart"
3)Go to Target
4)Go to Best Buy
5)Mom and pop video game store

Hopefully one of those will pan out
Wal-Mart at around 8 or 9 p.m.. If I miss it there, kick some kids ass and take his, errrrr....I mean head to BB and wait until morning.
Old 11-13-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I will go on Sunday to a few stores and see if any Black Gamecubes are available. If not I will get one later. I want a system, but I'm not going to jump threw hoops for one.
Old 11-13-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Anthony Soprano

If I miss it there, kick some kids ass and take his, errrrr....I mean head to BB and wait until morning.
lol! now thats the spirit

In all seriousness, I'm planning to head to a 24 hour store around 7 or 9 P.M. on Saturday and check if a line is forming (In my case I'm going to Meijer's which is a huge grocery/retail/everything store in Michigan, there are 3 within a 15 minute driving distance from me). If it gets too troublesome or I miss out there, I'll follow suit with Anthony's example and get one for free hehehe just kidding, I'm gonna head to Best Buy early in the morning around 7 or 8 AM, sit in my car until people line up and then get in line too.

speaking of kicking people asses, everytime a new Dragon Quest game is released in japan, there are always reports of little kids getting beat up and their dragon quest games stolen, I know its popular but man, isn't that a little extreme.
Old 11-13-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to wait a couple weeks until I can just casually stroll into a store and pick one up. No preordering or waiting for hours for one. I don't want one that bad.
Old 11-13-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Well,
I ordered an X-box bundle from EBworld just yesterday (Monday). But today they don't have that option available. I guess I just made the cut-off. You'd think they'd cut it off sooner.
Old 11-15-01, 11:05 PM
Retired

Did the X-box launch change anyones GC plans? For me it made me less worried. I work for the local paper, and one of my fellow reporters went to wal-mart at 8:15 p.m. and there were only 15 people in line, and they had 38 X-boxes. One girl had been there since 9 a.m., what a waste of a day. They're getting in 60 GC's so I'm planning on showing up around 9 -10 p.m., assuming I don't score one from FYE tomorrow. They said monday that they would sell them as soon as they got them, but they didn't know if they were getting any in with their Thurs. evening shipment or not. I was at work and couldn't call before the closed so, I'll try in the morning.

Good luck to everyone without GC preorders.
Old 11-15-01, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Did the X-box launch change anyones GC plans?
It really all depends on how you look at it. The X box launch might have been slow because everyone is waiting for the GC.
Old 11-16-01, 09:57 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Just posted in the other thread about this, but Toys R Us WILL have non-bundled consoles available on Sunday. So don't forget to check them out too.

X
Old 11-16-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did the X-box launch change anyones GC plans?

Good luck to everyone without GC preorders.
Yeah....well not really but it also made me a little less worried that its not going to be another PS2 thing where you had to sleep over night on cement to get it I heard from workers that the stores are getting quite a few GC's so I think I may go an hour later than what I planned, or I'll just get a soda and sit in my car hehe.
Old 11-16-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must say...

for some reason I am a lot less worried now as well

EVERYWHERE I call or visit just seems to be getting more GC's then they did X-Boxes. A LOT MORE!

And granted, there were some hard core people that waited in line at 5AM to get an X-Box, but from what I heard around here, everyone who waited in line got one...

(with the exception of the Walmart midnight sale)

Then again-

Sunday is a totally different day then Thursday

People can camp out Saturday night (no work on sunday for most)
Kids can camp out on Saturday (no school on Sunday except for CCD)

Sunday is a BIG shopping day! (just look at all the Sunday store adds

All in all though...

I think if you take the time to get in line maybe an hour or two hours before the store opens, you should be good to go
Old 11-16-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm going to Wal-Mart at around 10:00PM on Saturday. If there's no line, there's other things to do around there. If I for some reason can't get on there, I'm going to Best Buy at around 6:00AM on Sunday.

Honestly, I would never do this normally, but, I'm getting one to sell on eBay and one for myself. So, I want to make sure that I'm there plenty on time so I can make my tidy profit.
Old 11-16-01, 11:52 AM
Retired

I had to go to the mall, so I stopped in FYE instead of calling. On Monday they got a memo saying they would sell the GC as soon as they got it, and that they might get them Thurs. night. Well they did get them Thurs. night, but they also got another memo telling them not sell before sunday, as some FYE stores that had already sold some had gotten bitched at by nintendo.

I returned an S-video cable to Gamestop, they cables wouldn't spilt apart because of a plastic box, so I couldn't run the video cable to the TV and the audio to the receiver, which is how I have to hook it up and is how I have my DC hooked up now. I ordered a S-video cable from Nintendo, so I guess I'll just have to deal with standard RCA cables for a few days.

I also picked up 2 first party Mem. cards at K-mart for $14.95 a piece. These will probably be pretty scarce for a while, so I wanted to grab the while I could.

On a positive note, K-mart finally has the launch planned. Even though it is a 24hr store, they aren't selling it until 8 a.m. b/c that's what the ad says. Also, they have 100 GC's in stock!

So I'm heading to Wal-mart around 9-10 p.m., and if I don't score one there I'll get up at 6 or so and head to K-mart.
Old 11-16-01, 11:55 AM

My future mother-in-law is a toy vendor, and a manager she knows at a Toys R Us store is setting one aside for me (along with WR and RS2). She also said something to her about TRU expecting a lot of people to line up in the morning, so I wouldn't be too confident about just strolling in and picking one up!
Old 11-16-01, 01:47 PM

On a positive note, K-mart finally has the launch planned. Even though it is a 24hr store, they aren't selling it until 8 a.m. b/c that's what the ad says.
Apparently it's up to each individual store, because my local K-Mart said they'll be selling them right at midnight. My local Wal-Mart isn't open 24 hours, so K-Mart will be my only hope for getting one Saturday night.