Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Target actually has a Game Cube demo!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-01, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Target actually has a Game Cube demo!

Played it last night. As with X Box, the graphics are good, but no more impressive than PS2. However, if I was going to get another system to go with my PS2, this would be it. But my wife would kill me.

Rogue Squadron looked good, but I didn't care for Luigi's Mansion, just not my kind of game.
Old 11-10-01, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was surprised to see this on demo there as well. The demo they have set up is nice. They have the same games on demo as TRU.
Old 11-11-01, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
rogue squadron looks and plays incredible. its nice to see that the rumors of an incredible controller are true, even if it does kind of copy the dual shock controller, but then again the dual shock copied from the N64...anyways, i really like the analog shoulder buttons, very neato.

another thing that impressed me was the download time, or lack thereof. its interesting to note that the XBOX demo was nonfunctional, either that or loading Oddworld for a few hours. the only thing it lacked was sound. i guess i will be heading to TRU for that.
Old 11-11-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Anthony Soprano
I was surprised to see this on demo there as well.
aww man, they still haven't gotten any GC demo's in my area, I'm gonna check tomorrow though hopefully they will. I wanna play rogue leader and wave race

Thats cool that the load times are quick. Even though I don't usually mind waiting a bit for loading(I do own a ps2 afterall), on the X-box demo they had some off road racing game and the load time seemed a little long for a next gen console, was longer than 15 seconds for a level. Hopefully lots of new demo's will arrive at my local stores soon....it always takes them forever....
Old 11-11-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as i posted in another thread:

I played the GC at target yesterday as well.
Played Rogue Squadron, Luigi's Mansion, and Wave Race

As for the Xbox...well, it was dead (ie: not working)

ah well
I would've liked to have seen Halo, but I had plenty of fun on the GC.
Old 11-11-01, 10:40 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have a GC and X-box demo at Wal-mart. I briefly played Rogue, Luigi, and Wave Race. The graphics in all three were impressive. I'm getting Rogue for my B-day this wed. and I'll definately pick up Wave Race sometime, but probably not at launch. It plays just like the N64 game, and that is one of my all time favorite racing games. Luigi was pretty neat, but due to all the reviews saying it is really short and has no replay value, I'll probably just rent it sometime.

As for the controller. It is fantastic. The button layout is nice, and the analog stick is nice and rubbery, meaning my thumb one slip off of it like the one on the Dreamcast controller. My only grip is the tiny D-pad. I'll have to pick up another controller before Soul Calibur 2 comes out. I know there is an arcade stick coming out at launch, but I never really like them. I'm hoping Mad Catz will release a good controller with a better D-pad for fighting games. Their Dreamcast "Dreampad" controller is excellent. I prefer it over the Sega first party controller.

I played with the X-box demo briefly. The only thing playable was Oddworld. It didn't impress me at all. The graphics weren't much better, if better at all, than Rayman 2 on Dreamcast. However, I figure that is attributable to the fact that the area in the demo was rather bland. Screenshots I've seen of the game looked awesome. The only movie I watched was for Halo, and that looked phenomenal.

The controller pretty much sucked IMO. It's big and bulky like the Dreamcast controller, but a little worse. The buttons are slick, which means my thumbs will slip off of them. The last two buttons on the face are real small, and still slick. I have no idead why they didn't leave them the same size as the other 4 buttons.

I think both systems will be solid, but playing both demos simply reinforced my decision to get a Gamecube.