Reload this Page >

DC games that vanished

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DC games that vanished

Old 11-09-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC games that vanished

I was thumbing thourgh an old issue of ODCM and noticed a bunch of games that never materialized.
black and white
PBA bowling
Evil Twin
half life
Castlevania
Legacy of Kain 2
I love my DC and won't be buying a new platform for some time but this list just breaks my heart. Half Life and Evil Twin were completed versions that never saw the light of day.
Old 11-09-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Half-Life was the one that really pissed me off.

Its first targeted release date was Jan 1st, then it got pushed back to March, then April, then July, then finally cancelled.
Old 11-09-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I remember seeing lots of ads for Half-Life for the Dreamcast. I find it surprising that they didn't decide to release it.
Old 11-09-01, 02:42 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Propeller Arena, sitting on some shelf never to be relased
Old 11-09-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friends and I were really looking forward to IHRA Drag Racing...after they cancelled the DC version, they even cancelled the PS1 version!

PBA Bowling (with full online capabilities) was still scheduled to be released up until a few days/weeks ago. I wonder what happened there...
Old 11-09-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Castlevania was cancelled before it was even half done. Here's the info about what happened (or what didn't in this case). Sucks that it was cancelled, but if it was going to be like the N64 castlevania's I think it was for the best, because we got Circle of the Moon which is awesome I'm not too disappointed .
Old 11-09-01, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, it's too bad that the DC met with such an untimely demise. If Sega hadn't been so low on cash, they could have at least kept it in the market. They'd never be able to challenge Sony or Nintendo, but at least some of these games that were pretty much done might have been released.

It's funny, though, since this reminds me of exactly what I was thinking as I read through the other threads with extensive lists of anticipated XBox and GC titles. I didn't say anything there because I didn't want to thread crap, but I wonder how many of those titles will actually get released?

I'm thinking that in today's console market, you've got maybe 6 or 8 months after launch to get to 4 million units sold. If you can't hit that critical mass, most of your developers will flee to greener pastures and you're going to be left in a niche. Luckily both MS and Nintendo have plenty of cash so if it comes to that, they should be able to at least limp along to live to the next round.
Old 11-09-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't doubt some of these games get leaked over the net.
Old 11-09-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony and Microsoft certainly have deep enough pockets to influence the release of certain games regardless of platform Propeller Arena and Half Life really mysteriously disappeared and now the backstabbing of Shenmue II.
The Shenmue II thread shows a link to a gamestore in UK that will have UK versions of
Evil Twin
Head Hunter (much anticipated)
Shenmue II
so with a boot disc and a VGA DC lives on !!
Sega really is forcing the consumer to seek out other means of obtaining titles. Rant done.
Old 11-10-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really wanted Half-Life - I had it preordered for a good 5 months before they canned it (after numerous delays)....
Old 11-11-01, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Outlaw
Castlevania was cancelled before it was even half done. Here's the info about what happened (or what didn't in this case). Sucks that it was cancelled, but if it was going to be like the N64 castlevania's I think it was for the best, because we got Circle of the Moon which is awesome I'm not too disappointed .
Rumors were that the game sucked, and sucked bad. If that's the case, I'd rather have the game aborted than be released.
Old 11-11-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some games certainly deserve to disappear and Castlevania if rumors were true is one of these. It was cancelled right off the bat unlike the cruel and inhumane cancellations of completed games that are dangled in front of the consumer for up to and including a year only to be yanked away