Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How hard is it going to be to get an XBox Console on Nov. 15 w/o reserve?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just couldn't bring myself to pony up the 500 bucks for 3 games I wouldn't buy and a second controller I don't need yet for the XBox, so I'm wondering how hard we think it will be to buy the bare console? I asked Best Buy and Target and they said their policies are going to be a 'first come, first serve' basis, so no raffles or anything (at least here). So how early do you think I would have to be to snag one on Nov. 15? Best Buy opens at 9 and Target at 10, so I was planning on arriving at Best Buy around 7:30-8 and if I don't get one at BB then heading over to Target. Am I being nieve here or do I have any shot? Thanks.
Old 11-06-01, 11:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Just to give you a little insight to the current demand: DT_Spike, a mod over at the IGN forums, talked with a district manager of EB today. This is what the DM had to say:

- Xbox and Gamecube preorders are sold out.

- They don't know when they'll get more Xbox or GC units after the launch. They'll be getting shipments based on sell-throughs.

- There's a very small chance of them having units on shelf on the first day. The idea is that anyone who cancels their pre-order before launch day will have given up their system, and the order won't be resold. It'll just be an onshelf unit.

- He told me that throughout North America, Microsoft plans to ship 600,000 to 700,000 units on the first day. I asked him about the "300,000 shortage" rumor, which he said was a concern about a month ago, but due to the delay, and elimination of whatever concern existed, MS will make 600K - 700K units available.

Anyway, as far as your question goes about the XBox, they may go fast on launch. But, you should be able to get one after launch with 100,000 coming a week from Microsoft.

Some XBox fantics who also didn't like the bundle are planning to camp out several hours for the XBox. How many "Joe Sixpacks" that show up early from Microsoft's Media Blitz is anyone's guess.

I would also add WalMart to that list because they will start selling at Midnight. In fact, you may want to try there first. If you miss out, you will be able to judge the crowd level for the next store in the morning.

Also call ahead early to determine how many the stores are getting. When you pull up to the stores, count the people in line. So if the store is getting 40 xboxes and 15 people are already in line, go with it. If 30 to 35 people are in line, you may want to go to the next store on your list.

As you already have done with Target, check the policy of all the stores on your list. Raffles really suck when you have waited hours to be first in line.

Anyway, Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Old 11-07-01, 01:25 AM

I was in one of our local Wal-Marts ronight and asked the guy in electronics how many X-boxs they were getting . He said 14 ! And said they were getting over 300 GC on launch date .
Old 11-07-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Go to a 24-hour Wal-Mart at 10 pm the night before ... and wait for two hours. Hopefully you'll get one.
Old 11-07-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone here know of a 24-hour Walmart or Target in the Los Angeles area? I've never seen one around here.
Old 11-07-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jeff462v
I was in one of our local Wal-Marts ronight and asked the guy in electronics how many X-boxs they were getting . He said 14 ! And said they were getting over 300 GC on launch date .
I think the person you talked to was one of the famed "knowledgable" gamestore workers . Seriously though, that doesn't sound right, there's no way(reason) Walmart can fit 300 systems in there, he was probably didn't have the facts and tried to make up the rest, I think for the PS2 last year the walmart I called got around 25, so I'm expecting 20-give or take a few- X-Boxes and the same for GC. In my area they usually have the most at Best Buy since its the largest store electronics store here, (they got around 70 PS2's last year), thats your best bet.
Old 11-08-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry for being redundant here, but will it even be possible to buy a stand alone console before XMas, or will everything be sold in bundles?
Old 11-08-01, 11:45 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by bravesmg
Sorry for being redundant here, but will it even be possible to buy a stand alone console before XMas, or will everything be sold in bundles?
You can buy a stand alone console on the first day.

No bundles at these stores:

Best Buy
Circuit City
Target
Sears
WalMart
Kmart

And that is an incomplete list.