Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of a PS2 price drop?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like one, but $299.00 is a bit steep for my pocket.
Will Sony ever drop the price anytime soon?
Old 11-05-01, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not look for a price drop this year......I feel if they were going to reduce the price on the PS2....Sony would have done so already. It will be interesting to see the 4th quarter numbers for all three systems.......I feel Sony will compete without problems with Gamecube and Xbox especially with the current and upcoming releases for the end of the year into early 2002.
Old 11-05-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rumor has it that they'll drop it right before the release of FF10, but that's nothing more than conjecture at this point.
Old 11-05-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too was bummed that there was no price drop happening soon. But I caved and bought one anyway.

I can certainly see why they aren't cropping the price. There are so many great games that have just come out or are coming soon that people will honestly buy the entire 299.99 system for a game or two that they have to have.

I bought it mainly cause of FFX and all the games I've bought in the past few weeks have been games that I had to have because of graphics or they just had awesome reviews.

I'm sure they are aware that with the quality of games they have now, that they don't have to lower any prices. But it would still be nice huh?
Old 11-05-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm waiting for a price drop as well. My biggest problem is the 10 PSX and Dreamcast games I haven't played yet. I've really got to catch up before I get a new system.
Old 11-05-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by djones6746
I would not look for a price drop this year......I feel if they were going to reduce the price on the PS2....Sony would have done so already. It will be interesting to see the 4th quarter numbers for all three systems.......I feel Sony will compete without problems with Gamecube and Xbox especially with the current and upcoming releases for the end of the year into early 2002.
Well, if their numbers hold up from the 3rd QTR, Sony could very well outsell both GC and XBox combined in the 4th QTR. Of course, they have an advantage since they'll have been selling for 6 more weeks to a world-wide market.

Sony seems to have taken a wait and see approach. If the GC and XBox launches go poorly, we may not see a price drop until well into next year. Or, if one or both of the new consoles start to tear it up, they may do it in January.
Old 11-05-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried to wait, but dammit, I just couldn't with Ico, Devil May Cry, GTA3,Thps3, and MGS2 coming out within a month of each other.
Old 11-05-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tygloalex
I tried to wait, but dammit, I just couldn't with Ico, Devil May Cry, GTA3,Thps3, and MGS2 coming out within a month of each other.
I hear ya. I'm now trying to sell some stuff on eBay so I can afford to buy one. I'm going to need one to be able to play all these Playstation 1 and 2 games that I'm buying. A price drop would help me a lot, but I'll end up getting one anyway.
Old 11-05-01, 08:24 PM

I just saw New PS 2 for only $399 at UBID.com!! What a deal! Some guy bought 4 of them at that incredible price... (If you didn't know, that was sarcasm). I think fake bids are being made to entice others to bid outrageous price.

But if you look, sometime they do have good deals.
Old 11-05-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the responses
Looks like I'll be selling stuff on eBay as well
Old 11-05-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Funny thing is that at E3 the price drop was being discussed. A price from 199 to 249 were both discussed. then the xbox had a not so good E3 and PS2 kept selling at good levels= no price drop.

Now i agree with everyone that as long as sales stay good or if one or more of the consoles die then the price could stay firm till the middle of next year. I think no matter what a price drop will happen next year. I got tired of waiting and bought one for 10% off at best buy. not the best discount but every little bit helps.

I just was not able to wait to play the games coming out.
Old 11-06-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been reading some of the discussions about the rumored PS2 price drop on the IGN boards (which can be painful).

Some are saying that there will be a mid-November price drop.

I remember reading back when Sony denied a 2001 price drop that some analysts were saying that there's no need for Sony to drop the price. If the XBox and the Gamecube are in short supply, the PS2 would sell since it's the only option available. That happened with the Dreamcast in late 2000 when the PS2 was hard to come by.

I saw a link to this story at reuter's today: Reuter's Article

According to this survey (I don't know, maybe PlayDate Inc. owns Sony stock), the PS2 will outsell both new systems this holiday season. If Sony believes this scenario to be the most likely, why should they lower the price?
Old 11-06-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the idea of a price drop right before FFX sounds the most plausible. It allows Sony to sell at $299 through the Christmas season, and then it dishes out gut punch to Microsoft right as the production catches up to demand for the X-Box.

Sony has played this really well, I think. Getting MGS 2 released on the same day as X-Box, and managing to keep any info about a discussed multi-console version of the game completely under the table says something about which company Japanese developers support.