Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good games with bad reputations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good games with bad reputations...

I was just playing Royal Rumble for DC this afternoon and thinking "Man this game got ripped a new one in reviews."

Its not a bad game. It is not at all a wrestling simulation, it is an arcade game. It basically got a bad rap for not being a simulation. The graphics are great, the gameplay is good, and it is a fun damn game.

Same thing goes for Jedi Power Battles for the DC. It is a damn fun game, by no means flawless, but it got not so hot reviews as well. I honestly suspect a lot of reviewers didn't even bother playing the DC version and just rehashed their review of the PSX version.

Any games you can think of?
Old 10-31-01, 08:13 PM
Retired

All the Nintendo and Rare games that geeks love to bash for being "cutesy" and say they are "just for kids." These games have some of the best gameplay out there. People just bash their looks just to be macho and only play "mature" games so their friends think they are cool.

If you don't think the games are fun to play, then fine bash them by saying the gameplay sucks. If you can't bash if for any other reason than saying it's "cutesy" or "childish" just shut the f up.
Old 10-31-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by joshhinkle
All the Nintendo and Rare games that geeks love to bash for being "cutesy" and say they are "just for kids." These games have some of the best gameplay out there. People just bash their looks just to be macho and only play "mature" games so their friends think they are cool.

If you don't think the games are fun to play, then fine bash them by saying the gameplay sucks. If you can't bash if for any other reason than saying it's "cutesy" or "childish" just shut the f up.
I'm guessing Banjo-Kazooie would fall into the category you're talking about. I enjoyed the game immensely and everyone I talked to agreed and the reviews were positive. You just need to stop listening to people who bash the game for reasons above. There are names for people like that - I can't say them here.
Old 11-01-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics was a game I really enjoyed that was really bashed by a lot of people when it first came out. I think its one of the best games to have the Final Fantasy name.
Old 11-01-01, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the Nintendo and Rare games that geeks love to bash for being "cutesy" and say they are "just for kids."
Yeah, it really sucked how people didn't get into the gameplay of Conker's Bad Fur Day just because it was so lighthearted and G-rated.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 11-01-01, 12:31 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Cornfed

I'm guessing Banjo-Kazooie would fall into the category you're talking about. I enjoyed the game immensely and everyone I talked to agreed and the reviews were positive. You just need to stop listening to people who bash the game for reasons above. There are names for people like that - I can't say them here.
Yep that's exactly the type of game I'm talking about. I know nintendo and rare's "cutesy" games usually get great reviews, and I don't listen to people that bash them for being "cute" or "childish" it just pisses me off. I have absolutely no tolerance for stupid people.
Old 11-01-01, 01:15 PM

War Gods

Old 11-01-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one, not a game but an entire system. I have it in a cabinet somewhere -- it's pretty good. It's called 3DO.
Old 11-01-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Good games with bad reputations...

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
Jedi Power Battles for the DC. It is a damn fun game, by no means flawless, but it got not so hot reviews as well.
Jedi Power Battles was as far as I saw universally slammed. Now Im gonna have to go rent it.
Old 11-01-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I agree Banjo Kazooie was awesome but overlooked. And Tetris Attack was incredibly fun to play too. The sequel Pokemon Puzzle league was awesome as well but I think people thought because it had pokemon on the exterior it was dumb. That game has some of the best 2 player action in puzzle games.

Another game that didn't get the attention it deserved was Silent Hill for the PSOne. I was freaked out by it but a lot of sites and other gamers thought it wasn't that scary (probably because there wasn't much killing in it as in other horror games).

Incredible Crisis for the PSOne is one of the most twisted, original, insane, psycho games I've ever played but its pretty fun for the short while it lasts, I could see why some people look at it and shrug but if you actually sit and play it its pretty fun, trust me.

For some reason I always liked the Megaman Legends series of games even though most people don't. Sure, I like the 2-d ones way better but the 3d ones have nice voice acting and they also have Tron and Servebots !!! Its hard to resist them, "Yes, Miss tron!" (>
Old 11-02-01, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Good games with bad reputations...

Originally posted by joltaddict

Jedi Power Battles was as far as I saw universally slammed. Now Im gonna have to go rent it.
I think for me when I got JPB I wasn't expecting all that much because of all of the terrible reviews. It was definately a welcome surprise! I really like the game.

But I think it's that way a lot of times. I mean if there are wonderful reviews on a game we expect soooo much out of it we are easily disappointed (Shenmue for some people). Likewise when there a bad reviews for a game and we try it out sometimes we are pleasantly surprised. Just my 2 cents worth.....
Old 11-02-01, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by darkside
Final Fantasy Tactics was a game I really enjoyed that was really bashed by a lot of people when it first came out. I think its one of the best games to have the Final Fantasy name.

who the hell bashed this? certainly not me. I loved this game. and many many others did aswell

now you want to talk about the weak FF game... part VIII was certainly that.
Old 11-02-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have played many DC games that got bad reviews and loved them. Gauntlet Legends, JPB, Maken X, Sword of Berserk, TR Chronicles to name a few. Long LIVE DC

For PC the Blair witch games that I got for free with my BWBoxset are cool as hell really creepy. The first one has a TP reference for gods sake agent cooper is actually in the game.
Old 11-02-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jedi Power Battles is the one of the most fun games I've ever played. Great lightsaber movements, great graphics, a kicka$$ duel level, and cool hidden aspects. I love going through the game as Maul with the ultimate lightsaber (kills everyone with one hit, except bosses).
Old 11-02-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one, not a game but an entire system. I have it in a cabinet somewhere -- it's pretty good. It's called 3DO.
I loved my 3DO, they had some of the best games from franchises that I have ever, and even to this day in the next generation console, played. It's a shame it was so pricey and went under as soon as it did.

~Scheherazade
Old 11-02-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Scheherazade

I loved my 3DO, they had some of the best games from franchises that I have ever, and even to this day in the next generation console, played. It's a shame it was so pricey and went under as soon as it did.

~Scheherazade
Still one of my favorite systems. At one time I was a big collector of 3DO games from the US and Japan and I have close to 200 games. I still play Star Control II and Lucienne's Quest from time to time.
Old 11-02-01, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by uberjoe
Jedi Power Battles is the one of the most fun games I've ever played. Great lightsaber movements, great graphics, a kicka$$ duel level, and cool hidden aspects. I love going through the game as Maul with the ultimate lightsaber (kills everyone with one hit, except bosses).
Add me to the list of people who enjoyed JPB for the DC. The PS version had some major problems--I remember some of the jumps in that game were basically impossible. It was a great example of developers taking the time to note the flaws and fix them, rather than just giving DC owners a straight port with updated graphics.

JPB was one of those games where I'd just pop it in and play it for the hell of it, even if just to kill some time--it's kind of a throwback to some of the old school games, which is a bonus for an old schooler like me. Plus, it never got old using your lightsaber to deflect blaster shots. I don't know why that was so damn fun.

The game also had some nice secrets to unlock some things, and had a high degree of replayability due to the various characters with which you could use. I thought the levels were done very well, also.

If you're a DC owner and you've not played this game, do yourself a favor and check it out. I'd love to see another JPB game for the next-gen systems, especially one based on the original trilogy. Well, a guy can dream, can't he?
Old 11-03-01, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Dude - what's your deal? Do you turn EVERY thread into a Gamecube ROxorz thread? So anyone who thinks Nintendo games are too childish only thinks that way to impress their friends? Give me a break... I seriously doubt anyone has that kind of agenda. I don't like most Nintendo games because they are too cutesy... I'm not trying to impress anyone. It's irritating to me to watch little happy round characters throw banannas at each other and make little girly giggle noises. Just not what I'm into... but perhaps it's just cuz I'm more into FPS games - I just prefer to play games with an engaging story like Half-Life or Deus Ex. I also like to shoot people with different types of guns. I think that's fun. Not really into bananas and monkeys. I don't really think that makes me cool or uncool - If I wanted people to think I was cool, I wouldn't admit to playing video games in the first place. But I never said I was cool.

I did love the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games and Road Rash and Space harrier... but as for new consoles, I guess I've liked Twisted Metal, Resident Evil, Gran Tourismo, Silent Hill, Ready To Rumble, Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Space Channel 5. Would I admit to liking Space Channel 5 if I was trying to impress anyone?

I played this one game where you have a magnet head and you control your polarity... the gameplay was moderately interesting, but after a few minutes of the "cutesy" characters and the "cutesy" noises, I got sick of it really fast. It's just me. I'm sorry you can't handle that. I'm not trying to say you're some sort of fruit basket for liking Nintendo games... I could care less. You don't have to go on this mission to call everyone a geek for not liking the same thing you like. I mean - you call everyone who says Nintendo games are cutesy a "geek" and then you go on to declare that these games have some of the best gameplay out there, but you forget to put "In My Humble Opinion".

Cutesyness aside, I haven't played anything by Nintendo that was all that stimulating. I've played probably 15 N64 games and I didn't find any of them to have even decent gameplay except for the star wars one Shadowsomething or whatever... don't remember. As for the Super Nintendo - I played probably 30 or so games from that system and they all seemed to be the same game with slightly different graphics to me. And the Nintendo system, well - I never had one, but me and my friend would play it at his house all the time. That system had some good games for the time. I guess I've just always preferred Sega or Sony stuff to the Nintendo stuff. No big deal. Not saying I'm better than you... just saying that's how I feel about it. It's like you're trying to pick a fight or something. I admit that I've said that Nintendo games are geared more towards younger kids, but that's not a bad thing and I'm not trying to insult you or Nintendo or anyone else and I'm not saying that they don't make games for grown-ups or that adults can't play the youth-oriented games. Heck - I watch the Power Puff Girls and I own all the DVDs and I even bought the cereal. It doesn't make me any less of a man.

I just kinda wish you could've said what you said without turning it into an insult or a mud-sling. Cuz in one thread you'll say "let's all be equal and not bash each other" and then you say that people who don't agree with you are geeks who want to impress their friends. You just contradict yourself alot I notice. I feel like the Xbox vs Gamecube debate is the Abortion debate - Gamecubers are pro-lifers and the X-boxers are pro-choicers. Hey - if Gamecube had The Thing, Halo and Project Gotham Racing, I'd probably get that instead. I'd just like to see us all get along and not let our arguments end up so company oriented... I mean none of us own stock in either Microsoft or Nintendo do we?

Sorry for posting such a long post in this thread... My choice for underrated game would have to be Bioforge. It's a PC game, but it was awesome for its time and they were going to make a sequel, but couldn't generate enough interest. aww...
Old 11-03-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ummm, dreamcast.
Old 11-03-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tygloalex
Ummm, dreamcast.
Word.

Double Word.

F@cking Playstation 2 hype machine...ok and the geeks at Sega that don't realize not everyone thinks a Bass Fishing controller is as cool as they do....
Old 11-03-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
Dude - what's your deal? Do you turn EVERY thread into a Gamecube ROxorz thread?
Nice outburst, Francis.

He was responding to a comment about Banjo-Kazooie. It was dismissed as 'kiddie' game by many gamers. It has nothing to do with the Cube, its an N64 game.

Relax!
Old 11-04-01, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker

Word.

Double Word.

F@cking Playstation 2 hype machine...ok and the geeks at Sega that don't realize not everyone thinks a Bass Fishing controller is as cool as they do....
It's finally living up to the hype now. Last year I was pissed when games like Fantavision were outhyping Shenmue.
Oh and another game that gets a bad rep but I loved- Fur Fighters.
Old 11-04-01, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by joltaddict

Nice outburst, Francis.

He was responding to a comment about Banjo-Kazooie. It was dismissed as 'kiddie' game by many gamers. It has nothing to do with the Cube, its an N64 game.

Relax!
Don't call me Francis, Susie.

My "outburst" as you call it was related to several issues... I saw nothing that mentioned Banjo Kazookie whatever that is... He was talking about Nintendo and I guess I was accusing him of having a Nintendo agenda. I don't know where you got bando kabookie from but the threads I've been reading all talk about Gamecube and there have been talks about it being too kiddie for some people. A game like bandoman and kajukie doesn't appeal to me (do you throw banannas in it? or are you a forest creature?) but I don't think that makes me a geek trying to impress my friends. That's the point I was making... I wasn't even talking to you anyways... I should just quit while I'm ahead (or behind or however you see it) trying to get everyone to just be chill and not let these things get personal... I guess I read too much into him saying "geek" and "shut the f up" - sounded like an angry flame post to me. Perhaps I'm not aware of the bando kajooie context from some other random thread i didn't read. Anyway - no need to get on my case about it. Sorry - I'll give up - I probably make things worse anyway when I'm trying to get people to get along - I'm good at it in person, but on the web I'm a disaster.
Old 11-04-01, 03:13 PM
Retired

Trigger, I wasn't advancing Nintendo, I was advancing the idea that it's the gameplay that matters, not graphics, or if the game is "cutesy." Severaly companies make "cute games, not just Nintendo. You said you didn't like the gameplay in most Nintendo games, that is a fine opinion, and a reasonable way to judge the games.

It's just lame that some people won't even give a game a chance because it is cutesy, be it Mario, Banjo-Kazooi, Sonic, Rayman, Super Magetic Neo, etc. Sure people are entitled to their own opinions, but that doesn't mean that I can't say that their opinions are based on stupid reasoning and never take their opinion on any video game seriously again.

Video Games are meant to be played to have fun. Cute games can be fun and violent "mature" games can be fun. If someone's not open minded enough to realized that, and rights off all "cute" games (or all "mature" games for that matter) then I don't feel their opinion is worth anything. You have to approach games, movies, books, etc. with an open mind, or people aren't going to take you seriously. If you post, that games sucks, it's only for kids, it's so cute it makes me sick, etc. , no one is going to take you seriously. That's the kind of people I was attacking.
Old 11-04-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
Don't call me Francis, Susie.

My "outburst" as you call it was related to several issues... I saw nothing that mentioned Banjo Kazookie whatever that is...
Did you read the post he was responding to? He directly quoted it in the post. You shouldnt let stuff from other threads overflow into new ones.
and the correct response when somebody calls you Francis is to say "anybody calls me Francis... and Ill kill em".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.