Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One-and-only "Where Can I Find [insert movie title here]?" thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One-and-only "Where Can I Find [insert movie title here]?" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 02:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<marquee hspace=20 vspace=20 width=340 bgcolor=ffaaaa align=middle BEHAVIOR="SLIDE"><small><blink>Please make sure you include film title in reply subject headers!</small></blink></marquee>
This comes up often enough that perhaps the factual information generated might better placed in one thread....

.... the more straightforward requests are usually asked and answered in two or three posts and some of the information is duplicated between separate requests.

(I've merged a few examples from the past three months to start things off).

People who feel that they have more complex enquiries, perhaps involving a greater element of subjectivity, please feel free to start separate threads as usual: this is intended to be helpful rather than prescriptive.

Benedict
[email protected]
International DVD & Movie Forum

Last edited by benedict; 10-29-01 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-09-01, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to buy Region 2 "Digi Charat" Concert DVD?

Does anyone know where to buy the Japanese region 2 DVD of the Digi Charat Concert from Yokohama? Sorry if I've asked this before (I searched and didn't find one though), but I really want this disc, but no one seems to carry it. Thanks.

Plus, what's the best online store to order from for region 2? I know of animaxis, cdjapan, amazon.co.jp and amotokyo. Thanks.
Old 08-09-01, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Where to buy Region 2 "Digi Charat" Concert DVD?

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
Plus, what's the best online store to order from for region 2? I know of animaxis, cdjapan, amazon.co.jp and amotokyo. Thanks.
I have bought from all of them, but I found Amazon.jp to be a pain because they have the same screwed up inventory system as Amazon.com.

I buy lots of stuff from the other 3 stores esp. amotokyo. Have you tried emailing amotokyo and asking them to get it? They can usually find stuff in a couple of days if you ask them to get something for you.
Old 08-09-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I asked Amotokyo, but they said the manufacturer is out of stock and there are no plans to make it again. I guess my only chance then is to find it used someday...

thanks for trying.
Old 08-10-01, 11:13 PM
pum

where to pre-order In The Mood For Love?

OK. it's close. i don't speak French so i think you guys can give me links to english site that provide pre-order to this wonderful french R2 disc.

and english site to pre-order german R2 The Fifth Element is welcomed also.

i thanks you guys in advance. :-)
Old 08-11-01, 01:00 AM

If you have used Amazon before you could just use their foreign shops since they are the same layout. They have all your login information too for all the Amazon's. I don't know if they are the best prices ,but it's really easy to order from them. I bought In The Mood For Love from them and it cme out to 33 US dollars shipped.
Old 08-11-01, 07:34 AM

You may also wish to try www.dvdshoppingcenter.com and www.dvdzone2.com in addition to www.amazon.fr.
Old 08-12-01, 06:35 AM
pum

thanks guys :-)
i checked dvdzone2. it still don't have ITMFL for pre-order so i'll try amazon.fr even though the price is a little expensive.

i can't find new Fifth Element at amazon.de though.
Old 08-12-01, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by pum
thanks guys :-)
i checked dvdzone2. it still don't have ITMFL for pre-order so i'll try amazon.fr even though the price is a little expensive.

i can't find new Fifth Element at amazon.de though.
Here's the name you need to look for Das fünfte Element. If you look up Fifth Element you just get the UK version. You could also just look up Luc Besson.
Old 08-13-01, 10:59 AM
pum

DONE!!!
pre-order ITMFL at amazon.fr and The Fifth Element at amazon.de.
a little bit expensive but alright. amazon always has good service.

ScreachingWeasel, thanks you.
Old 09-13-01, 06:33 PM

Does anyone know where I can find these?

I'm looking for an online shop that carries the new movie Versus,andy of the Takashi Mike's Dead or Alive,and Wild Zero.I'm looking for DVD not VCD. Thanks guys.
Old 09-13-01, 07:14 PM

Dead or Alive - Hanzaisha, Dead or Alive 2 - Toubousha, and Wild Zero are all available at Sazuma and no doubt also at CDJapan - however, if you have access to a Japanese operating system (yeah I know, a long shot), I would recommend signing up with Amazon Japan as they do tend to place discounts on some titles and you have the reliable Amazon service (I understand that Sazuma can take quite a while to deliver).

Wasn't sure what you were getting at with the first movie (Versus?) you mentioned in the post so am unable to help with that one. Other movies I would recommend to you though are:

Kitano "beat" Takeshi's Brother - you can get this from Hong Kong for $HK64 with DTS soundtrack and English subs - the image quality is spectacularly good for such a cheap HK release - note that this is region 3 encoded (not all region like a lot of HK releases).

Katsuhito Ishii's Shark Skin Man, Peach Hip Girl (Samehada-Otoko & Momojiri-Onna) and Party7 - both of which are only on DVD in Japan - the latter being released soon. It is said that Sharkskin Man is one of Tarrantino's favourite films...and I can see why - great film with a great soundtrack. To me the film sits somewhere between the action of Tarrantino and the weirdness of David Lynch (particularly some of the hotel scenes - watch it and you might see what I mean).

regards, Tim...
Old 09-14-01, 08:25 PM

Sazuma has had numerous negative reviews, and many people have had bad experiences with them (including yours truly). The most common complaints I've heard about Sazuma are that peoples' credit cards have been charged and they never receive the product, or they receive their product many months after sending lots of e-mails to them, lousy customer service, etc. Using Sazuma is definitely a gamble.

CDJapan on the other hand has a much better reputation, and having dealt with both of these companies, I can highly recommend CDJapan without hesitation. Keep in mind, however, that Japanese DVDs are very expensive. Also, although CDJapan have shipped to me very quickly in the past, if you are in the U.S. right now you need to keep in mind that we are basically in a war, so I would imagine that it will take substantially longer to receive packages from overseas.
Old 09-17-01, 10:17 AM

Three Colors KIESLOWSKI DVD Set

I have notice a couple of sellers from Brazil on ebay selling this set. They claim they to have English subs, R0, and NTSC. Are this VCD's, or are they legit releases? If they are legit does anyone know of a Brazil source for this set?
Old 09-17-01, 11:18 AM

I also find the DVDs on these 3 films for sale in Hong Kong. According to the DVD covers, they are made in Taiwan. I suspect that are made from LDs. I will wait for the R1 release.
Old 10-05-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

18 secrets of kung fu

Silly question,
Has anyone seen this title available in its orginal audio format/language? I have the english dubbed version and I despise dubbing. (its a mental disorder i think ) Since its not that old (1988 release) I figured it be around somewhere in its original format. Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, I think 18 Secrets of Kung Fu is a 1978-79 release. And uuaslly older kung fu was made without audio and inteded to be dubbed into the lang of where it was released, so it is relatively rare to find subtitled versions of older films, but it does happen from time to time.
Old 10-15-01, 03:38 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Help needed finding online store that sells "It Takes Two" Dvd?

It Takes Two starring Kirstie Alley & Steve Guttenberg.

I understand it is being sold in the Netherlands (among other places) but I can't find an online store that carries it and will ship to the US.

Help!!
Old 10-24-01, 01:55 AM

Crimson Rivers

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 2 disc SE of Crimson Rivers...of course I speak of the non-american version.

And just as a side note...the American version of the DVD is impossible to find at B&M stores...quite disconcerting...

Bobert
Old 10-24-01, 03:53 AM

for example http://www.amazon.fr

or

here: @FNAC

These sites are all in French language of course and the disc itself does not carry English subtitles ! But it's better stuffed than the RC1 release.
Old 10-24-01, 05:27 PM

I started a thread on this version in the International forum. Please do a search there if you wish to discuss it. Thank you.
Old 10-24-01, 06:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

bobertkay998, here is a relevant Crimson Rivers thread (i.e. references to French SE):
Old 10-26-01, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where can I find the Archives of Studio Ghibli Box?

I've seen this set on ebay, but the prices are a bit high.

Are online HK dvd merchants selling this set? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I doubt you will find this at an online retailer because it's a bootleg. There are official Ghibli releases in R2.
Old 10-26-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As RichardW said, this set is a bootleg and you won't find it at legimate retailers. The films are being released in Japanese R2 versions with English subtitles.