Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: While You Were Sleeping

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about picking this one up for the GF, maybe around christmas since its a christmas type of film, maybe one copy for myself as well. Any impressions? I think it's due for a SE re-release sometime, but i want to get her it for this winter...

Thanks.
Old 10-25-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have the DVD but I saw the movie and liked it. Typical Sandra Bullock lightweight fun. But enjoyable. I will probably pick this one up one day myself. I know the only way to keep the wife awake long enough (if you know what I mean ) is to have a good supply of romantic comedies in the collection. I like them myself in measured doses.
Old 10-25-01, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by JimRochester
I don't have the DVD but I saw the movie and liked it. Typical Sandra Bullock lightweight fun. But enjoyable. I will probably pick this one up one day myself. I know the only way to keep the wife awake long enough (if you know what I mean ) is to have a good supply of romantic comedies in the collection. I like them myself in measured doses.
Well I agree. A little lightweight fun this winter is due, especially after all the events from the fall.... I first saw this flick in 96' and i was really impressed. Rom-com's were more fun back then, now it seems like the same thing over and over again (read. Anything by Julia Roberts). WYWS was like a love triangle with a new twist, and it was fun. Bottom line.

I hope a re-release SE comes out someday. A movie that does $200 million worldwide deserves one, could be a hit again for the holidays.
Old 10-26-01, 12:36 PM

I saw the DVD quite a while ago, but I don't remember being very pleased with it. The film is only Dolby 2.0 when I believe that it played theatrically in 5.1. I also remember it being non-anamorphic.
Old 10-26-01, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by DVDRules1
I saw the DVD quite a while ago, but I don't remember being very pleased with it. The film is only Dolby 2.0 when I believe that it played theatrically in 5.1. I also remember it being non-anamorphic.
That's exactly why im pushing for a re-release of WYWS This film helped in large part to put Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman on the map, and if im not mistaken it was released on DVD in 1998.... A lot has changed since then, which gives all the more reason to repackage and re-release this great flick for the world to see.

~Justin
Old 10-26-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Non-anamorphic would bother me, but comedies in general don't suffer all that much from lack of 5.1. Naturally I would prefer it, but When Harry Met Sally was 2.0 and it was fine.
Old 10-31-01, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by JimRochester
Non-anamorphic would bother me, but comedies in general don't suffer all that much from lack of 5.1. Naturally I would prefer it, but When Harry Met Sally was 2.0 and it was fine.
For me personally i would rather have a 5.1 track, mainly due to the fact that a lot of this film does take place in outdoor city environments, often with a lot of background and city sounds..

But that's just personal preference
Old 10-31-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my While You Were Sleeping DVD is anamorphic, but then again it's an R2 disc too!

love the movie, one of my absolute favorite romantic comedies.. i really hope they'll release an SE later on.. maybe they could even get the director and Sandra Bullock together for a commentary track (she did one for Miss Congeniality so she could be game to do it!).. since the R1 is non-anamorphic is would seem pretty likely that it'll be re-released later on though but that is probably not for another year or two at the earliest.. i say buy it. look up some reviews, if the quality isn't bad then why not? you could always sell it later on if there ever is a SE due out..