Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Crimson Rivers - any reviews??

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't seen a single review and this disc is supposed to street TOMORROW.
Old 10-16-01, 08:36 AM

I would like to know if the french track is 2.0 or 5.1.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vagabond contrary to the packaging the French track is indeed 5.1!

As a big Jean Reno fan, I was kinda shocked that I had never heard of this film before I saw someone post about it on the General forum. Needless to say I snapped it up sight unseen and I was glad I did! It's kind of a weird Seven-Flatliners-Vertical Limit (!) hybrid that is REALLY violent and grisly and has just a general creepy atmosphere throughout. Without going into too much detail on the story, two French cops (Reno, Vincent Cassell) are working on two different cases that eventually bring them together on a serial killer investigation at a remote mountain university, where they find that just getting a higher education is not the first priority there. The story (adapted from a book) is pretty tense and fairly quick paced, with a couple of great night-time chase scenes (the BMW/Hummer one is a doozy) and it's only at the resolution where the film falters a bit, but again the lead-up is well worth it. Performances are top notch (Reno never disappoints!). Ok, onto the disc. The film seemed to have some pretty good production quality to it and the mountain/glacier cinematography was just gorgeous and came through very well on the disc. The 2.35:1 picture was pretty sharp and clean and even the night scenes came through very well. Being a French film there is a dubbed English track (which I believe is Jean Reno dubbing himself in English which is a plus if you like dubbed tracks) in DD5.1 and Pro-Logic and as a nice surprise there is also the original French language track in 5.1. I say surprised because the disc packaging and web site info indicate that only the English dub was in 5.1. Thank god, since I hate dubs and this track is excellent, from the action scenes to the foreboding score to the quiet ambience of the glacier scenes you're always immersed in the moment. I haven't checked out the extras yet, but there is a commentary track with the cast and crew, isolated music score with commentary, deleted scenes, storyboards, featurettes trailers, etc, all of which add up to a nice special edition of a great little foreign film! Highly recommended! Thanks DVD Talk, for getting me to notice this movie!
Old 10-16-01, 08:50 AM

Cool!

Thanks for the fast reply!
Old 10-16-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The movie is rather mediocre. It sometimes succeeds in generation a creepy atmosphere, but usually this disspates when the director suddenly switches into kungfu in the veins of Tekken, with silly "You Win!" complementing the action. And the plot is really flimsy, culmiunating in a truly lackluster ending that is seemingly ripped from something like Cliffhanger/Vertical Limit. Is this really a suspense horror film, or is it some really bad action film? Obviously the director could not decide.
Old 10-16-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Despite the plot holes and lame ending I must say I still rather enjoyed it. Certainly not Kassovitz's best work (see "Hate"). I'm probably biased on this one because I like Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel. I'm glad it has a 5.1 french track though. I woudn't have bought it otherwise.
Old 10-16-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
DVD Times has a review at http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?...301&story=2238

Despite the ".co.uk", the review is of the R1 disc.
Old 10-16-01, 03:38 PM

Just finished watchign it. Very good movie with only two minor faults.

First there is the silly Kung Fu fight with other people playing TEKKEN in the room at the same time so they end up having the TEKKEN announcer say stuff applicable to the real fight going on. It was extremely cheesy.

Second is the ending. I won't say it was lame, it was just highly predictable (I had it all figured out the minute the two officers are in the cafe deciding what to do next, one line there just completely gave away the ending)(on a side note the english language trailer also gave away the ending, which was a stupid move on Columbia's part, as the french trailer inlcuded on the DVD is just as exciting without giving away the ending).

Overall this was an excellent film. The performances are dead on, the plot is very well done, and it has some amazing scenes and scenery.
Old 10-16-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am glad that they did release it with a 5.1 french track.. now i can buy it.. i wouldn't if it had been as announced with just a 2.0 for the original language track.
Old 10-17-01, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's the only review i could find:

http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...riversdvd.html
Old 10-18-01, 06:59 PM
Suspended

even though it didnt make total sense and the ending was unbeilivable, it was damn cool. sweet ass ending.
Old 10-19-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They included a French commentary track with no subtitles?!?! Bizarre. Is this an error on CTHV's part? I hope there's a recall. Especially since they subbed the Japanese commentary on Final Fantasy. Man, very disappointing. I was very much looking forward to hearing that track.
Old 10-20-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
They included a French commentary track with no subtitles?!?! Bizarre. Is this an error on CTHV's part? I hope there's a recall. Especially since they subbed the Japanese commentary on Final Fantasy. Man, very disappointing. I was very much looking forward to hearing that track.
WORD! I think someone Fffffd up!

And all they had to do was add a third subtitle section/option for the commentary track's dialogue, like they do when they have an english option and another option available for the hearing impaired english track.

Big, big disappointment.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 10-20-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

someone with connections should pop the question to CTHE... it seems rather pointless to include a commentary track in french and not include subtitles..
Old 10-21-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Grizzly
someone with connections should pop the question to CTHE... it seems rather pointless to include a commentary track in french and not include subtitles..
Does anyone know if there is a 1 (800) customer service phone number for CTHE?

cheers and Thanks in advance, Tony Block
Old 10-21-01, 05:01 PM
Cool New Member

Another review

Here's another review of Crimson Rivers here

Yeah, it is kind of tough to get the benefit of a French audio commentary with no subtitles.

Same deal on 400 Blows from Criterion. No subtitles there either.
Old 10-21-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Since I read constant bitching on french-canadian DVD forums about the lack of a french audio track on a lot of R1 releases, I find this rather ironic.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-21-01 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just rented it - the extras are very good except for the french commentary - what were they thinking? The sound is fantastic in 5.l. As for the movie itself I found it very derivative of american horror/cop films. In one of the documentaries the director states that he had started a new genre (the french american thriller?). Let's see: (1)horrible murders with mutilations and closeups of the bodies (2)an older cop teamed against his will with a younger one (3)the villain holding a gun on one of the good guys and (4) scenes with lots of rain. Let's call it SEPT.
Old 10-25-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Here's my review
Old 10-25-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Here's my review
Thank you Mr. 12thmonkey!
Old 10-25-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Let's hope that CTHE will be offering some type of exchange when the subtitled commentary version becomes available...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-25-01 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-25-01, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Let's hope that CTHE will be offering some type of exchange when the subtitled commentary version becomes available...
Any news? Is the subtitled commentary already available? thanks for any info.