Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

what would I need to play an import gamecube here in the US

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would I need to play an import gamecube here in the US

The reason I ask is because there is a game store here in town that carries some import stuff and they have a few japanese cubes for a damn good price for an import (10 bucks more than US version). So what would I need to play it? power convertor, right? What about the NTSC/PAL issues?
Old 10-12-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just the converter...

PAL isn't Japan
Old 10-12-01, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
just the converter...

PAL isn't Japan

oh really? i thought it was. well thats good to know
Old 10-12-01, 07:36 PM

so what would be a good converter to buy?
Old 10-12-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I remember correctly, Japan also uses the NTSC standard, so you don't need to buy a converter to make it work. I believe PAL is the standard in Europe. I got my N64 in Japan and I didn't need to buy any sort of convertor or anything to make it work in the US(except pull out plastic tabs so it played US titles). Just plug it up and play away.

Thats an awesome price, I wish there was a store like that near me, have fun.

P.S. If you find out how to play US titles (when they come out) on your Import GC please let me know
Old 10-12-01, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw

P.S. If you find out how to play US titles (when they come out) on your Import GC please let me know

I already know

And i thought Japan was on a different voltage as the US? So, if I go down to the game store and get a Gamecube... I cna just plug it in and start playing?
Old 10-12-01, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mljones: I'm just wondering how you know how to play US titles. I know last week they confirmed that the Japanese Gamecube would be able to be modded to play US titles but I dont know anyone who actually knows how to yet. I'm just wondering if you know just cause you're a smart guy or if you saw it on some site. Thanks.
Old 10-12-01, 10:51 PM

i have a friend who is an electrical engineer student and he has been playing around with it. He says something about a switch that can be installed pretty easily. He's still working on it.

What site has reported it?
Old 10-13-01, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh I see, interesting. Gaming sites have reported that it is moddable, none to my knowledge have reported exactly how to mod it though. Here's a link to an IGN article about it:

http://cube.ign.com/news/38874.html
Old 10-13-01, 09:58 AM

I talked to my friend last night before I went to bed and pointed out that IGN article to him. He said he knows one way that will for sure work but its not easy for someone with little or no experience with electronics. He is playing around with it to find an easier way with less soldering.
Old 10-13-01, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I figured it wouldnt be easy. I was just hoping that maybe it would be easy. Then I could get a Japanese GC cause I realllllllllllllllllllllly like Super Monkey Ball. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait till launch.
Old 10-13-01, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by mljones99
I already know

And i thought Japan was on a different voltage as the US? So, if I go down to the game store and get a Gamecube... I cna just plug it in and start playing?
Yeah it should work. I think Japan is actually 5V higher but it is basically the same,everything I've bought in japan works here when I plug it in. If your friend is an electrical engineer he should know about this so double check with him.

I read that article, but they have yet to disclose the actual modification that allows it, I'm guessing its some sort of chip that you solder in but I could be wrong, it could be like one of the DVDplayer region hacks. I'm not calling your friend a liar, but how does he know his modification will work? I mean U.S. games aren't even available anywhere so he can't even test if it works right?
Old 10-13-01, 05:33 PM

based on his knowledge and calculations and all that other engineer stuff, it will work, in theory. he just has to test it but he is very confident it will. i guess we will just have to see.

he did a good job on my ps2.... he came up with a mod for it (he didn't buy the mod, he made his own) and was successful so i have a good feeling about the gamecube
Old 10-13-01, 07:01 PM

wow thats awesome I wish I had a friend like that. Yeah your right if he got your ps2 modded without a chip I bet it'll work with the GC too, he seems to know what he's doing.

Note to self: Make friends with students in the engineering college.
Old 10-13-01, 08:31 PM

wow thats awesome I wish I had a friend like that. Yeah your right if he got your ps2 modded without a chip I bet it'll work with the GC too, he seems to know what he's doing.

the ps2 wasn't easy... took alot of trial and error. same withteh gamecube... but he is more certain with his theory this time (learned a few thigns withteh ps2)... just gotta get his hands on a US game
Old 10-14-01, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm i dunno bout you, but I modded mine with just a butterknife..... no soldering/openinng/voiding the ps2 warranty