Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Shenmue II and Phantasy Star Online XBox Bound.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-11-01, 11:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011012/sff040_1.html

Shenmue II is going to look sweet on the XBox and it is exclusive! The Dreamcast version got cancelled.

I never played PSO on the DC, but I hear it is very addicting. IGN gave PSO V2 an 8.5 on the DC.

Last edited by Flay; 10-11-01 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-12-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PSO was my favorite game on the DC besides NFL2k1. To bad it wasn't exclusive on Xbox, because they need a couple big exclusives to stay afloat.
Old 10-12-01, 12:13 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I read all PSO versions on every console will be able to interact with other consoles. A new meaning to the Console Wars!

They still might get some more big Sega news. It looks like the VP of Sega is annoucing a larger link between Sega and Microsoft tomorrow. May be some more exclusives or just some more cool Sega games.
Old 10-12-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just crushes Dreamcast owners.

I just started playing Shenmue 1 in anticipation of the release of 2 in november. Now, not only do I have to wait until next year, but I also have to buy a system that I don't want.
Old 10-12-01, 11:07 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

mmconhea,

You already said you want DOA3. Now you want the new suped up version of Shenmue II being released next year. Sounds like you are starting to want the XBox to me.
Old 10-12-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well, they canned Shenmue on the DC a few months before release. I guess it's worth getting an x-box for DOA3 and Shenmue.

I checked out the controller for the x-box yesterday. I absolutely hate it and think Microsoft is making a huge mistake by releasing it. It's bulky (and a total rip from the DC's) and the primary buttons are tiny and almost pointy- not to mention made of a hard plastic. I can't see myself using MS's controllers at all, as just with trying them out my fingers were sore. I guess I can get a 3rd party controller, but I have never found a 3rd party controller for a system before that I liked.

Then, not to mention the x-box technology being close to a PC- that's got unreliability written all over it.

But, I'll hold back all that now, that Microsoft obviously has wooed some great developers to bring their best games to the system.

I'm really dissapointed in Nintendo right now.
Old 10-12-01, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AHHH DAMMNIT!! Why cancel the Dreamcast version Sega??? I wanted to use my save file from Shenmue 1 on Shenmue II, Sega really knows how to screw their fans sometimes with empty promises. I remember reading awhile back "Shenmue is still on track for DC", shyeah, I would boycott their products if they didn't make such great games that keep me coming back....figures...

At least they didn't completely cancel shenmue, anyone get Shenmue II for DC in japanese? Are there English subtitles you can choose(i think in the first one you could choose subs in japanese and english but I'm not sure), I heard the enlgish one was going to be subtitled anyway.
Old 10-12-01, 12:14 PM
Retired

X-box finally has a failry popular exclusive game in Shenmue. Not enought to sway me as I wasn't very impressed with the original. This sucks for DC owners who did like the first game though. It was almost finished and due out in Nov or Dec., seems silly to cancel it to me.

PSO isn't really a big deal as it is out for DC and is coming to Gamecube too, and probably PS2, once they get a modem/network setup.
Old 10-12-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read this:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/news/39017.html
Old 10-12-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Bellfield (possibly on crack)
Firstly, there's a synergy between Xbox owners this time next year and also the Shenmue 2 followers; we believe there's synergy there.
Can someone translate this?

Last edited by Aghama; 10-12-01 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-12-01, 01:09 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

syn·er·gy (snr-j)
n. pl. syn·er·gies

1. The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

2. Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.

Apparently, he thinks Shenmue followers are more likely to get a XBox than any other Next-Gen system.
Old 10-12-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flay
syn·er·gy (snr-j)
n. pl. syn·er·gies

1. The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

2. Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.

Apparently, he thinks Shenmue followers are more likely to get a XBox than any other Next-Gen system.
Well duh.. he's also trying to make a retarded statement sound intellegent by using big words. I'm a Jet Grind Radio whore, so am I more likely to buy an XBox than other next-gens? You bet your sweet ass I am..
Old 10-12-01, 09:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Sega explained it a little better to Gamespot:

Bellfield reiterated that Sega's decision to move Shenmue II from the Dreamcast to the Xbox in the US was a difficult one. However, as part of the company's long-term plans to return to profitability and Microsoft's commitment to support the franchise through an extensive marketing initiative, the decision was necessary. "We want to create a life cycle for the product beyond the Dreamcast," Bellfield explained. "We are looking at the financial forecasts the retailers were giving us on Dreamcast. The numbers were not high enough, and we had to look at another venue to drive Shenmue II. The level of marketing support that MS will put behind that title will make it very much financially viable for the Xbox platform next year. We want to continue Yu Suzuki's and Sega's vision for the Shenmue games. The ability to keep on making these games is an overriding interest for Sega."

-Gamespot.com
Old 10-13-01, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well....there are at least two reasons for myself to purchase an Xbox next year.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Shenmue II

Old 10-13-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The level of marketing support that MS will put behind that title will make it very much financially viable for the Xbox platform next year."

Anyone else read "marketing support" as "direct cash payment" to Sega? Not that there's anything wrong with it from the MS perspective. I just find it funny how Sega continually screws their console customers for some short term cash.
Old 10-13-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by belboz
"The level of marketing support that MS will put behind that title will make it very much financially viable for the Xbox platform next year."

Anyone else read "marketing support" as "direct cash payment" to Sega? Not that there's anything wrong with it from the MS perspective. I just find it funny how Sega continually screws their console customers for some short term cash.
I think it's pretty clear he means what he says. If MS has picked up exclusive rights for such a notable game, it's likely that they want it to be a killer app and will try to sell the hell out of it. Hence, they will provide a greater level of marketing support than Sega could themselves. Chances are Shen2 will sell a lot better than it could on DC and the X-Box will provide a path for Sega to continue the series for years to come. It's hardly a short term strategy regardless of whether MS paid Sega for the exclusivity (which I agree that they probably did).

BTW, to the other guy asking about English language Shenmue 2, it will still be coming out on DC in Europe.
Old 10-13-01, 09:48 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

"BTW, to the other guy asking about English language Shenmue 2, it will still be coming out on DC in Europe."

According to SegaWeb.com, the Europe release may be cancelled also.

http://www.gamerweb.com/content/tgs101101_06.html

But we should wait for an offical annoucement from Sega.
Old 10-14-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Flay

According to SegaWeb.com, the Europe release may be cancelled also.

http://www.gamerweb.com/content/tgs101101_06.html

But we should wait for an offical annoucement from Sega.
Nah, they'll probably wait until its about a month before its supposed to come out to get European gamers excited about it and then cancel it . They're pretty spontaneous when it comes to cancelling just like the DC console happened so fast. I read the interview over at dc.ign.com but I didn't really buy any of bull he was saying about keeping their promises and such. Er..anyway there's nothing we can do. Back to Grandia 2.