Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me where I can preorder an X Box?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-05-01, 03:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son said he has been reading this thread and he is trying to decide whether to get an X box ( I think that is what he called it) or the Game Box? I would like to order one for Christmas but I don't know which is better or where to order one. Can anyone help?
Old 10-06-01, 01:23 AM

The X-Box and Gamecube are coming out around the same time in Novemeber. The Gamecube will cost $199 for the system, while the X-Box will cost $299.

You can pre-order them at any number of places (Amazon I know has them), but you have to order a "bundle", meaning they force you to also buy other stuff you may not want (usually a few games, controller, etc..).

I'd imagine you'll be able to find them at stores when they come out. Neither company wants to repeat the mistake Sony made with the shortage of PS2's. You won't be forced into buying a bundle this way either.

If you want my 2 cents worth ,the Gamecube is the better buy.
Old 10-06-01, 01:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

how long until they are more.... affordable

How long do you think until there is a price drop? I do not really want to give a $2-300 present (call me cheapo) Mainly because I know that the weeks after that another $2-300 will be spent in games
Old 10-06-01, 01:55 PM

You will be waiting over a year if you look at all other pricedrops done on consoles. I am not an expert so just my 2cents. I am trying to decide on whether to get the Xbox right now. To old for the Gamecube but very interest in all the Specs of the Xbox. I love my PS2 but always looking for something newer and better.
Old 10-07-01, 12:11 AM

Too old for the GameCube? Nintendo is gearing this thing towards an older crowd than they previously have. No Pokemon in site. Just look at a list of the games in development for it. Mostly games for an older crowd.

The specs on the X-Box may be impressive, but remember, that doesn't always translate into anything. The specs for the PS2 were a lot better than the Dreamcast's, but it's hard to say the graphics on PS2 games were any better than the Dreamcast's.

My suggestion, wait until both systems come out. Play a few games on each, see what you like.
Old 10-08-01, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by PinwiZ
My suggestion, wait until both systems come out. Play a few games on each, see what you like.
This is the best advice you could give to someone who is undecided on picking a console.
Bashing of videogame consoles is ridiculous. Afterall, it's the availability and quality of games that make a system succeed or fail.
Old 10-08-01, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Centurion
Afterall, it's the availability and quality of games that make a system succeed or fail.
Not necessarily. DreamCast had a gazillion great games but it got canned ("failed"). I guess you could call DC a success, but unforunately the video game industry sure doesn't seem to see it that way.

In any case, you and PinwiZ make a good point. You can't really go by specs of the console to say which is better. You should really try the systems/games out to find out which YOU like better, since they are all quality systems.
Old 10-08-01, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wal-Mart.com has a pretty good pre-order offer.
Old 10-08-01, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by namja

You should really try the systems/games out to find out which YOU like better, since they are all quality systems.
Definitely. 200-300 just for a system is a lot of money, especially if you're not sure of what you want. The price goes up by at least a $100 because you'll want at least one game and a mem card, if not 1 other game and another controller and whatever cables you need. I think I want an XBOX, but I still wonder if that's just to be part of a launch (even though I'm confident it'll end up quite good with the other systems) or whether I really want to move on from my DC. I'm glad I'm in the fairly rare position of probably being able to choose between both consoles at launch (I think I'll be in that position anyway).