Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Dvdtown.com Says The Godfather Dvd Is Off Da Hook!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just letting you guys know dvdtown.com has an exclusive review of The Godfather collection.

They gave it a good review.

Movie: 10/10 (of course)
Video: 8/10
Audio: 8/10
Extras: 10/10

Just lettin' my peeps know da deal.
Old 10-03-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My b-day is the 18th of Oct. Guess what im getting?!
Old 10-03-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by adia4625
My b-day is the 18th of Oct. Guess what im getting?!
Phantom Menace?

And 8/10 isn't really off da hook....but is anyone really not going to buy them because a DVD review says they're not perfect?!
Old 10-03-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LBPound23:

Actually Im getting Godfather and Ep1.
Old 10-06-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm not waiting for my birthday to get these. I don't even know what the release schedule is for March.
Old 10-06-01, 12:49 AM

Just letting you guys know dvdtown.com has an exclusive review of The Godfather collection.
"Exclusive"? Methinks not. DVD File got theirs up first, and we ran ours all week, which meant most of it was online prior to DVD Town's "exclusive"; rather than rush it all out in one big review, I took my time and did each movie individually. And I'm sorry, but devoting one paragraph each to the picture and sound quality of three movies is weak, especially when the titles are this big.

I remain less impressed with the Godfather package than most. The extras are great, but picture and sound are decent at best, and I consider them disappointing. Everyone else wants to fall all over themselves to declare the box as wonderful, but it's just not that terrific. It's good but not better than that, at least in regard to picture and sound.

This link goes to my overall review, which can then be followed to the individual titles:

http://www.dvdmg.com/godfathercollection.shtml
Old 10-06-01, 10:52 PM
Cool New Member

It looks like it's going to be a good boxed set, but it's too bad that a lot of people are saying the video isn't all that great. I wonder if the video is better on the third disc then it is on the first two. I'm still going to get it, but it's a shame that they haven't restored the print.
Old 10-06-01, 10:56 PM

I wonder if the video is better on the third disc then it is on the first two.
A little, but not by much - it doesn't feature the leap one would expect based on its much newer vintage. I gave all three "B-" grades in the reviews linked above...
Old 10-07-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think everyone understands and have some sort of graps on the fact that the video isn't A+/top notch. We all no the video is nothing special, a nothing that warrents praise.

Fact is, the video is "good" and viewable, we have nice sounds. Nothing glorious. We have a nice damn box-set, with a 5th disc that's well-done and informative.

What is their to "hate"? Sure, one might want to complain on why isn't upto a certain par. But other than that, the box-set is actually good. No complaining here.

I think everyone agree agree's, whether the box-set is the best or not, that it at least deserves a "B"
Old 10-07-01, 10:23 AM

What is their to "hate"?
Who said they hated the set? Who said they didn't think it was a generally nice set as a whole? That was a confusing message...
Old 10-07-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oat, that message wasn't directed towards you. I was talking about some of the people who don't like the set. You brought up the set not being as impressive as you'd hope to be, so I decided to comment on people with similar views who didn't like.

If I was talking (no offense), i would have quoted you.
Old 10-07-01, 07:14 PM

Oat, that message wasn't directed towards you. I was talking about some of the people who don't like the set. You brought up the set not being as impressive as you'd hope to be, so I decided to comment on people with similar views who didn't like.
I never thought you were directly speaking to me, though I admit I wasn't sure. Nonetheless, I'm still confused because I don't recall seeing anyone state that they HATED the set. If anything, my lukewarm attitude toward it has been harsher than most; the majority of reviews and comments I've read have been virtually glowing.

I'm just curious to know where you've seen statements that showed true antipathy toward the package...