Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Need review of COLORS and RUNNING SCARED.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering what people's opinions are of the presentation?
Old 10-03-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to know also. I saw these at Circuit City, on Tuesday, for $10.99 each. I had "Colors" in my hand but decided to wait...
Old 10-03-01, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got both on Monday, and the review for both would be almost identical. They both had similarly basic menus (same as Making The Grade also), except Running Scared has a special features option for the trailer & a 4 minute clip they call outtakes, but are really just an HBO (or someone) camera crew following him and catching him mugging. Nothing good except for a boom mic joke that's pretty funny. Colors just has the trailer on the main menu. The sound for both is DD surround (Making The Grade was actually 4.0). I don't think I heard anything from the rears in either movie (except maybe during some parts of Colors slightly). I wasn't expecting great sound from either movie though, and they were perfectly clear, so nothing to really complain about. The picture on both was very good. I watched on a 65" HDTV, and both had very good detail & clarity, although the image isn't as crisp & bright as new movies. Both are anamorphic (Colors-1:85:1, RS- 2:35:1). It was great to see RS in it's original widescreen. Colors has lots of people who became famous later (Don Cheadle, Damon Wayans) and is a good gang/cop movie, though not as violent & fast-paced as the ones that followed. Running Scared is an 80's classic & still very funny. Billy Crystal & Gregory Hines are a good buddy team. I'd recommend both. Especially for the price.
Old 10-04-01, 06:06 AM
Banned

picked up 'colors' at best buy for 9.99 and agree the disc was decent, and a great price!
Old 10-04-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
RUNNING SCARED still makes me laugh... and you get to see Jimmy Smits as the bad guy. Also, director Peter Hyams is one of the few directors who also serves as Director of Photography on virtually all of his movies, so it's a treat to see it (finally) in it's OAR.