Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Genesis songbook

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone here picked up this new music disc? I saw it in the store, but was hoping to hear some opinions on it before I bought it. Thanks.
Old 10-05-01, 03:12 PM

I stood and watched the majority of it at my nearby Virgin store, and if you've seen the previous "Genesis: A History" video, this is pretty much the same, only with less footage of the band performing and more recent footage of them talking about the band. I'm glad I saw it first because otherwise I probably would've just nabbed it right up, and in the end I really didn't see anything that warranted owning this disc, which was upsetting because I was hoping for some good, previously unseen interesting stuff beyond more interviews! It's the same Lamb tour footage that's on the "History" video, same Musical Box footage with Pete in the fox head and red dress. And for whatever reason, they completely skip the 'Abacab' era...

The most interesting moment to me was some obviously recent footage of Tony and Phil performing "Afterglow" in a studio, but even this performance is interrupted by interview footage.

Just so you know, the songs listed on the box are indeed the only songs on the presentation...at least the parts I saw.

Personally, I keep hoping the '76 concert film will resurface some day. Have you heard anything about it or other old live footage surfacing anywhere?
Old 10-05-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EricWillhelm

Personally, I keep hoping the '76 concert film will resurface some day. Have you heard anything about it or other old live footage surfacing anywhere?
The only thing going on is a DVD release of the 1992 We Can't Dance tour video (The Way We Walk), perhaps by Xmas. This will have a DD 5.1 soundtrack, multi-angles, and I believe will also contain some of their MTV videos. It will be a 2-disc set, with a UK release at the end of Nov.

Don't hold your breath on any of that old Genesis footage being released on DVD

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 10-05-01 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-05-01, 03:27 PM

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for saving me some money.

As for the older material, that would be real nice. I Can Dance concert footage is a start, but imo, the older the better. Another band I follow is Yes. There are quite a few Yes dvd's out (granted, some of them suck), but if they can do it, why not Genesis. Rush and Floyd would also be nice.