Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tasteless "joke" in NHL 2002 commentary

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tasteless "joke" in NHL 2002 commentary

I have to admit, I hated the commentary at first, but then I grew to love it. There's a lot of it, it hardly ever repeats, and it's just plain funny.

But there's one "joke" that just really upsets me. I've heard it twice out of about 40 games, and I had to verify what I heard before I posted the quote.

The exact quote is:

"Oh, he landed on him like a Frisco overpass!"

Now, anyone who lived in California about 10 years ago will instantly get this. It's a reference to the big earthquake when the freeway collapsed onto it's self and smashed a large section of rush-hour traffic. The graphic scenes were all over TV for weeks and there were very few survivors.
Every time I hear this line in the game, I can't help but think of the earthquake.

A general quote on earthquakes (and there are quite a few in the game) is perfectly fine....but one that addresses a specific incident were many people died and was shown on TV is just wrong.

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 10-03-01 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-03-01, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It amazes me what poor taste some people show at times.
Wonder how many people had to approve stuff like that before it made it into the game?
Old 10-03-01, 08:50 AM

Some how I doubt that in the game... I have not heard it yet, and well I just do see how that is funny and why that would be there. Maybe you miss heard or it is in ref to somthing else. I just cant see why anyone would reference a colapsed highway.
Old 10-03-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, i'm kind of in doubt that its there too. If it is its tasteless. No telling what sort of jabs they'll take at SF if you get further into the game! (think of the movie baseketball, "how to speak san francisan!")
I think maybe you misheard it. You should contact EA and complain. Make up a name of an organization that sounds like it would complain about things.
Old 10-03-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's there, I heard it three nights ago. I'm a sick bastard, I laughed a bit, but it quickly changed to an "oh damn" type of reaction.
Old 10-03-01, 11:34 AM
Retired

I actually think that's pretty funny, but I have a pretty morbid sense of humor.
Old 10-03-01, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is just stupid. Joke or not, it could be distasteful for the victim's families and whoever else effected by that. It's like when NHL 2010 comes out and makes a joke out of the WTC. That is just wrong.
Old 10-04-01, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its a joke. its distasteful. its a joke. don't laugh.

i think its ironic that a guy called "burnt alive" is complaining about this. btw, i know of monks that immolate themselves in protest and i don't think that's funny... i know of people that have severe burns over their bodies/faces. they don't think that's funny. you should change your tag.

my name is Young. please, don't make any age jokes... you're going to make me cry (mainly because all the jokes are so obvious and such duds...)
Old 10-05-01, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Missed the "joke" the first time I read it. I thought it sounded like a **** joke (if you read it that way).

For some reason you can't type h0m0. Always thought it was short for homosexual. That is what the above **** is for.

Still sounds like a funny gay joke to me.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-05-01 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-05-01, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's called being to sensative, look into it
Old 10-05-01, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
its a joke. its distasteful. its a joke. don't laugh.

i think its ironic that a guy called "burnt alive" is complaining about this. btw, i know of monks that immolate themselves in protest and i don't think that's funny... i know of people that have severe burns over their bodies/faces. they don't think that's funny. you should change your tag.

my name is Young. please, don't make any age jokes... you're going to make me cry (mainly because all the jokes are so obvious and such duds...)
Your comment would be an excellent point...but my name is not being used as part of a joke.
The quote from the game is.
Old 10-05-01, 07:51 AM

this falls in the area of, you don't like a band because of it's lyrics,
then don't listen!

don't like whats on tv,
then turn the channel!

don't like what the game is about or whats in the game,
then don't play it!

maybe it is in the game and maybe they are referring to a section that did not land on anyone or anything.

there are jokes out there about other sensitive issues and some you probably laughed at, did you once stop to think about the people who are linked by those events somehow.

this is the kind of crap you here from those who would like to tell us what to play and not to play.

don't give them any more fuel to add to the fire, sheessssh!

Last edited by psxfan2; 10-05-01 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-07-01, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by psxfan2
this falls in the area of, you don't like a band because of it's lyrics,
then don't listen!

don't like whats on tv,
then turn the channel!

don't like what the game is about or whats in the game,
then don't play it!

maybe it is in the game and maybe they are referring to a section that did not land on anyone or anything.

there are jokes out there about other sensitive issues and some you probably laughed at, did you once stop to think about the people who are linked by those events somehow.

this is the kind of crap you here from those who would like to tell us what to play and not to play.

don't give them any more fuel to add to the fire, sheessssh!
a-freaking-men!!!!!
Old 10-30-01, 04:56 PM
DAC

While I haven't yet heard this comment yet, I'll give this game a grade A. The commentary is AWESOME and the gameplay superb! I think people are too easily offended, but then again I defy anyone to offend me.
Old 10-30-01, 06:54 PM

Electronic Arts is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood Shores, to be exact).
Old 10-30-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DAC
While I haven't yet heard this comment yet, I'll give this game a grade A. The commentary is AWESOME and the gameplay superb! I think people are too easily offended, but then again I defy anyone to offend me.
I just finished my third season, and I'm still hearing NEW commentary!
Old 10-30-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh, it's probably just me...
I was 10 at the time the earthquake hit, and I still avoid freeway overpasses when possible. And, I've never even been to San Francisco....I'm closer to San Diego.