Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So... anyone got ICO for PS2 yet? How is it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-01, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely loved what I saw in the Jump Pack and would have picked it up by now had my funds not been so low... so taking advantage of this lacking and having to wait, I figure I'll ask how anyone else who managed to pick it up is liking it.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-28-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love ICO. It's my favorite game out of the 3 I bought this week (ICO, Silent Hill 2, Spy Hunter). It's a highly original game and a lot of fun. The graphics are improved over the demo, that's for sure. Go out and pick it up, it's the sleeper hit for PS2 this year.
Old 09-28-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The graphics improved?? Guess I'll have to see it to believe it. Though I am hearing that it's too short, I think I'm still defenitely going to get it. I could see myself playing it several times, heck I wore out the demo I played it so much.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-28-01, 09:39 AM
Retired

It got a pretty good review in the latest EGM. 9, 9, and 8 and was their game of the month. The only gripe they had, and all three reviewers brought this up, is that it's very short and has no replay value. In overal sub-scores at the bottom it got: Visuals-10, Sound 9, Ingenuity 9, Replay 3. Here's a comment from the reviewer that gave it an 8. "...but about seven hours after you start Ico for the first time, you're done. And there's no real incentive to play again." So if length and replay are a big concern for yours, it would probably be better to just do a 5-day rental for this game.
Old 09-28-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Scheherazade
The graphics improved?? Guess I'll have to see it to believe it. Though I am hearing that it's too short, I think I'm still defenitely going to get it. I could see myself playing it several times, heck I wore out the demo I played it so much.
Yes, ICO's clothes look better, the princess' face is more detailed and the shadow monsters are of varying girth in the game. The shadows by trees/characters are better than in the demo as well. This is very akin to the Soul Reaver 2 demo vs. the final product, the graphics are much improved. Yes, the game is short (I haven't beat it yet, but I have a lot going on that doesn't give me much time along with the fact I have other games I bought this week), but I think it is well worth the money.

This game reminds me a lot of Out of this World/Flashback in the originality department. Those games weren't too long either if you knew what you were doing, yet they were praised across the board.
Old 10-02-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got it the other day and am loving it. I can see why it wouldn't be very long, they went for quality over quantity and I think they achieved it beyond their wildest dreams. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long long time. It really does sort of bring back the magic of your childhood a bit, and it's just stunningly beautiful to boot. As for replay value... sure you'd know the puzzles, but I could see myself playing it a few times just to look at everything and try stuff I was afraid to the first time around.

I really wish they had translated Yorka's speech though, it feels as if I'm missing some of the depth of the story since we can't understand what she's saying. I don't even know why they thought it'd be a good idea not to translate it when they translate everyone else's. Anyone know a website or something that has translations for her?

Though I am VERY glad they used subtitles instead of cheesy dubs. After playing the demo I was afraid I'd have Ico speaking English on the final product and it made me shudder a bit.

~Scheherazade

Last edited by Scheherazade; 10-02-01 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great game. One of the best I've ever played. Everyone is complaining it is too short. I think it was just perfect. Going by memory card time, it took me about 8.5 hours to beat it and about an hour and a half of that is me just admiring the scenery(This is the first game I can truly call beautiful). I dont understand why everyone wants to rush through it. If you just enjoy the game and realize that you're actually playing longer than what your memory card time says(you die and have to start back from the save point, I'd add on a few hours of actual gametime to the usual number of 6-7 hours supplied by reviewers), then the game length is just about right imho.

I'm actually kinda happy it is the length it is. I beat it in one 5 day rental.

Ps dont turn it off when the credits roll. Watch all the credits.
Old 10-07-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had to put in another vote for ICO, love this game, although I beat it on the second day I got it (good thing I rented it). The environment and lighting is astounding. When I enter some of the rooms I just start looking around in awe rather than finding the way to the next room. I think for a game of this type the length was alright, if it was too long it might drag out, the only thing I wish it had were more cutscenes dealing with story(communication between Ico and Yorda), but even the few ones that were in it were very well done.

As far as not translating Yorda's speech, I think it really makes this game unique and adds to the mysterious mood of the game. I mean when she says something you pay more attention to the tone of her voice, how she's says it, and the expression of her face when she speaks, just to try and get a hint of what she is trying to say. I'm not sure if there are translations out there since she is speaking a made up language and the subtitles for her are archaic-esque made up symbols as well. Perhaps only the story writer knows, or maybe they never intended it to mean anything to begin with, only to provide another barrier for Ico, its anyone guess.
Old 10-07-01, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard Yorda's speech was translated if you beat the game and started over but it was cut at the last minute.
Old 10-10-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard Yorda's speech was translated if you beat the game and started over but it was cut at the last minute.
Yeah, I heard that too. Was wondering if a site somewhere had it at the very least so I could know if I'm missing something or if she's just saying, "I'm scared!" Heheh.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-14-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EXCELLENT GAME! But I wish that I rented it instead. Took two weekends to finish. Oh well! Off to FuncoLand to trade it in for Devil May Cry!