Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Puppetmaster (the Taiwanese film, not the U.S. horror film) on DVD, yucky....

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Puppetmaster (the Taiwanese film, not the U.S. horror film) on DVD, yucky....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-01, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The subject line pretty much somes up my first impression of the new(ish) Puppetmaster DVD from our friends at Fox Lorber. The image is not letterboxed, and what little I watched of it was pretty grainy and unimpressive - not the kind of quality that we've come to expect from DVD. I don't know if 1.33:1 is the original aspect ratio, but I really doubt it. I took a look at this on my girlfriend's DVD-rom on her computer, so I'll have to check it out later and see if it still looks that sucky on a stand-alone player.

"Good Men, Good Women" and "Goodybe South, Goodbye," two more films by Hou Hsiao-Hsien, are supposed to be released soon (they were supposed to be released on 9/25, but I guess they got pushed back). I'm not sure who these two movies are going to be released by because in some places I've read Fox Lorber, and others say Image. Whoever releases them, I hope they do a better job than Fox Lorber did with Puppetmaster.

And as long as I'm complaining about Fox Lorber, when the hell are they going to release a new DVD of "Ran"?

Anyway, I don't think anyone's reading this because I'm probably the only person that bought the Puppetmaster DVD. Oh well.
Old 09-27-01, 01:27 AM

****. That is really bad news. I'm a huge Hou fan and I've been anxiously awaiting these releases. They're all released by Winstar/Fox Lorber (not Image), so I guess they'll probably massacre the other ones as well. Good thing I kept my HK vcds of his movies. And I'd just gotten so excited after seeing that my preorder had shipped from Amazon, along with Flowers of Shanghai. ****. Damn Fox Lorber to hell!
Old 09-27-01, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the other three films are supposed to be letterbox. I need to go cancel my order for Puppetmaster right now. I heard it was going to be pan and scan, but I still ordered it before it came out hopping that it would be widescreen. Luckily Bestprices.com were really slow getting this one.
Old 09-27-01, 11:21 PM

Is there a review of Fox-Lorber's "Flowers of Shanghai"?
Old 09-28-01, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Q: Is there a review of Fox-Lorber's "Flowers of Shanghai"?

A: Yup!

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=1484

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-28-01 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-28-01, 01:52 PM

puppetmaster review?

Hey is there a review of The Puppetmaster DVD on the web? I read somewhere that it was originally full-frame but I am definitely suspicious and I need some confirmation elsewhere. Too bad, cause I really love this movie.

Also, The Flowers of Shanghai disc is great... I mean it's not the same quality as Hollywood DVDs, but it's definitely better than the Hong Kong version of the DVD, and the subtitles are much much easier to read.

I can't wait for Goodbye South Goodbye and Good Men Good Women, I just hope they don't keep delaying them.
Old 09-28-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Q: Hey is there a review of The Puppetmaster DVD on the web?

A: Yup!

http://www.geocities.com/vidgrave/p/puppetmaster.html

...oops!... that's the American horror flick... sorry...!

...however... this is a review (of sorts) of the other "Puppetmaster"... but not of the DVD...

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/conten...petmaster.html

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-28-01 at 03:47 PM.