Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Behind the times, but N64 recomendations?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-01, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hey

With the N64 pokemon bundle thing on amazon for under $50 shipped (with a coupon), its finally time for me to pick one of these things up...

I know I am looking to play the two zelda games, and the mario party games...maybe whatever the current wwf game is...

I need other recomendations (preferably older-thus cheaper) games. Already have someone I can borrow mario 64 from.

I plan to get a ps2 or and xbox after the holiday season based
on whats out there at the time. Looking at prices as what not...
so I am not looking to break the bank here...Just looking to play some of the "must play" games for this system before we move up to the newer systems.

What I am looking for are games that are good for kids to
adult (like mario party). Also, looking for games that can be
two player, or best of all, two player co-operation games.

There are very few games my grilfriend and I can play together. We're looking for stuff like that -like cookie and cream on ps2
for example. Cartoony, simple to learn, but hard to master.
(btw I have not played cookie and cream yet, so don't go by my recomendation-I am basing what I know from EGM and web pages.)

Any ideas? We're not looking for any 1st person perspective or anything with realistic guns. Think resident evil, metal gear solid type games-those are out. The "no realistic guns" rule ir probaably most important. No final fantasy style, turn based, role playing games.

How are some of the updated concepts? mario cart 64? yoshi's island 2 (or whatever they called it)? How is Super Smash Brothers? Is it easy to learn? Fun (easier) for girls who don't like street fighter? (sorry for the sexist question)

Any recomendations would help. We are kind of jumping in not knowing what to pick up exactly, and don't want to waste money we are saving promarily for our after christmas, "next generation system" purchase.
Old 09-25-01, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just picked up Kirby 64 and Paper Mario for $25 each and they were both fun games to play. Wrestlemania 2000 can be found for $20 at Kaybee toys and its decent. No Mercy is still pretty expensive.

I am also looking to pick up N64 games while there is still time to get them and the prices are lower.
Old 09-25-01, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I liked Banjo Kazooie a lot, although it was pretty easy. Space Station Silicon Valley is perhaps the most underrated game in a long time. Rayman 2 is another good platformer. All are one player only.

Obviously things like Goldeneye and the two Zeldas are good, but they might not be something that your girlfriend would like. Goldeneye supprots 4 at teh same time.

If you've never played anything in the Bust-A-Move/puzzle Bobble line (or even if you have), I'd highly recommend one of the Bust-A-Move games. Supports 4 players at the same time.

Mario Kart is good clean racing. Supports 4 players at the same time. Beetle Adventure Racing is a good realistic two-player racing game.

You mentioned Mario Party. I'd agree with that for multiplayer. The one-player is horrible.

Yoshi's Story is not worth it. I beat it the first time I played it. I only died once.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 09-25-01 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-25-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goldeneye has got to be the best game released for nintendo 64.
Perfect Dark comes in second.
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie are also wonderful games.
So is:
Blast Corps
Beetle Adventure Racing
The World is Not Enough
Goemon's great adventure
Any THQ Wrestling Game
NBA Courtside
DR. Mario 64
WaveRace

And most importantly for the adults : Conker's Bad Fur Day.
Old 09-25-01, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are my top N64 picks:

15. Blast Corps
14. Goldeneye
13. Pokemon Puzzle League
12. Jet Force Gemini
11. Mario Party 2
10. WaveRace 64
9. Mario Kart 64
8. Paper Mario
7. Perfect Dark
6. Mario Tennis
5. Conker’s Bad Fur Day
4. Super Smash Bros.
3. Super Mario 64
2. Legend of Zelda: MM
1. Legend of Zelda: OoT

= multiplayer fun for the whole family

Last edited by CreatureX; 09-25-01 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-25-01, 10:08 AM

Star Fox 64 is what I suggest for you and your girlfriend.
Old 09-25-01, 11:39 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by mmconhea
Goldeneye has got to be the best game released for nintendo 64.
Perfect Dark comes in second.
I totally agree. Star Wars Starfighter and Mission Impossible are amusing for awhile also.
Old 09-25-01, 01:56 PM

Here's a few to add to the list:

Diddy Kong Racing - similar to Mario Kart, but I like it much better. Instead of just go-karts, you can also pilot planes and hovercraft.

Donkey Kong 64 - a huge 3D platform game, it also has a variety of fun mini games and a couple of fun multiplayer modes as well.

The New Tetris - If you like Tetris, this is a good one to pick up. Up to 4 players can play at once.

Wave Race 64 - A fun Jetski racing game for 1-2 players

Excitebike 64 - Another great racing game. Aside from just racing, it also has some extra games built in, such as a soccer game (on bikes) and the original NES Excitebike game.
Old 09-25-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CreatureX
Here are my top N64 picks:

15. Blast Corps
The most underrated game for the N64. I think this was a launch title, am I correct? I forget. This game is one of Rare's finest hours, unfortunately only a few people played it.
Old 09-25-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox

The most underrated game for the N64. I think this was a launch title, am I correct? I forget. This game is one of Rare's finest hours, unfortunately only a few people played it.
Wasn't a launch title. The two launch titles were Mario 64 and Wave Race. It came out in the first few months though. Its a very fun game, but I think Space Station Silicon Valley is much more underrated.
Old 09-25-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by juiio
Wasn't a launch title. The two launch titles were Mario 64 and Wave Race. It came out in the first few months though. Its a very fun game, but I think Space Station Silicon Valley is much more underrated.
Never played it, although I heard of it. Wasn't Pilotwings 64 a launch title as well? I didn't get my N64 at launch, so I'm not totally clear.
Old 09-25-01, 04:33 PM
Retired

Originally posted by juiio

Wave Race wasn't a launch game. Mario and Pilotwings were the two launch games. Wave Race came out in October, a month or so after launch, it was the 3rd game for the N64.

I agree on Blast Corps being the most under-rated game though. I never cared for Space Station Silicon Valley though.
Old 09-25-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If my memory serves, Mario 64 and Pilotwings were the two launch titles with Waverace coming out right after launch.

Anway, the the N64 has some great software and pretty much everything listed so far is worth getting.

I just picked up Excitebike 64 today and its pretty nice.

I would also like to add recomendations for Mario Tennis and Golf. Very fun games to play.

The N64 may not of been heavy on software, but it did have some great titles made for it.
Old 09-25-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Wave Race wasn't a launch game. Mario and Pilotwings were the two launch games. Wave Race came out in October, a month or so after launch, it was the 3rd game for the N64.

I agree on Blast Corps being the most under-rated game though. I never cared for Space Station Silicon Valley though.
Err you're right. Thats what I meant. Waverace was third, followed by Cruisin USA and SOTE.
Old 09-25-01, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just posting another vote for Blast Corps.

Great game, great.
Old 09-25-01, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Super Smash Bros is pretty fun (though it's way better with 3 or 4 players), has cute graphics, and is easy to learn. It's definitely not a hardcore fighting game.
Old 09-25-01, 11:16 PM

I dont know what blast corps is...but doesn't golden eye involve
realistic guns? Or is it just more cartoony and blwing stuff up?

Liek I said, anything with realistic guns is out...

Mario gold and tennis...sounds good...Can anyone else recomend
these for sure?

What was Donkey Kong 64 like? Much like the Snes series?
Old 09-26-01, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by andrew_randy
I dont know what blast corps is...but doesn't golden eye involve
realistic guns? Or is it just more cartoony and blwing stuff up?

Liek I said, anything with realistic guns is out...

Mario gold and tennis...sounds good...Can anyone else recomend
these for sure?

What was Donkey Kong 64 like? Much like the Snes series?
Blast Corps deals with using different vehicles and robots to destroy buildings, basically. Aside from having lots of explosions, it's not very violent. And yes, GoldenEye does involve guns... Perhaps the people who listed it didn't read your original message.

Donkey Kong 64 has many of the characters and enemies from the SNES games, but has more of a focus on exploration and collecting items (like many 3D platformers do) than the constant bouncing off of enemies found in the SNES games. It does deal with guns, but they aren't realistic ones... There's a peanut gun, a coconut gun, one that shoots feathers, etc.

I haven't played Mario Golf or Tennis, so I'll leave that up to someone else.
Old 09-26-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heck yeah Blast Corps ruled!! it was awesome being a big robot busting up buildings, or driving the dump truck into a skyscraper making it crash, those were the days, in todays context I guess it wouldn't be deemed that appropriate with the destroying buildings and such (even though you were trying to clear a path so a nuclear bomb wouldn't hit the buildings). But you most certainly don't want to play that with your girlfriend I just wanted to mention it

A lot of people have mentioned these but I thought I'd put in some input as I've run into this problem as well.

A really good/non violent/fun game to play with your girlfriend is Mario Tennis, its awesome. Might not be up to virtua tennis but it still really fun to play.

Others you could try are:
-Pokemon Puzzle League (this game is a remake of tetris attack, great when you get past the pokemon exterior, seriously!)
-Mario Party (more fun with 3 to 4 players though)
-The Next Tetris
-Wave Race 64 (still an awesome game, best water effects ever!)
-Mario Kart 64 (I occasionally still play this with friends late night)
-Any Bust A Move title

Those are are some really good choices to play with another person, if you had to choose one I would go with Mario Tennis or Mario Kart (or wave race if you don't want mario characters, though the gameplay is certainly there in those titles and thats what counts). Have fun!
-
Old 09-26-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Have to DEFINITELY second (third?) Mario Tennis here. Has to be on the craziest experiences for multi-player while still fun during solo play. If you can get 4 people together to play this, you will have a blast.
Old 09-26-01, 11:48 PM

Mischief Makers (by Treasure) - usual Treasure wackiness and cool effects, platformer/shooter
Old 09-29-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my Pikachu station today as well. Also picked up Blast Corps, Wave Race, and Turok 2. I considered Mischief Makers for $11, because I like Treasure, but hadn't heard anything about it, any good?

Still need to get Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, and the Zeldas
Old 09-30-01, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Wazootyman
I considered Mischief Makers for $11, because I like Treasure, but hadn't heard anything about it, any good?
Here's the review at Gamespot:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...544812,00.html
Old 10-01-01, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
very good place to buy used games is blockbuster, definately check it out. i personally feel it is worth it to get a used game others do not think so.

Mickey's Speedway similar to mario kart
Old 10-04-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know of any place online or b&m where you can find N64 games for pretty cheap?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.