Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone recommend some RPG's for the Dreamcast?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-01, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OKay,
Ive always loved playing RPG's on the Genesis and older systems, but Ive been out of it for many many years. I love my dreamcast and when it finally dies then so will my home console future. I want to get back to my RPG days but I am clueless with the games available now for the dc. Can someone please recommend the best ones? Thank you!
Old 09-24-01, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skies of Arcadia or Grandia 2. Personally I like Skies of Arcadia

Grandia 2

Skies of Arcadia
Old 09-24-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't forget PSO
Old 09-24-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Skies of Arcadia is pretty amazing. Its kind of a cross between FF VII and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Its a little too heavy on random battles, but overall its an excellent game and by far the best RPG on the Dreamcast.

Grandia II is a very close second. It has the look and feel of the standard RPG, but I liked the combat system and the story is pretty good.

Record of the Lodoss War is a kind of an RPG. Its more along the lines of Diablo, but is still a very good game.

Phantasy Star Online is good, but only if you play online. The offline version is very limited.

Evolution I and II are action RPGs and while not the best RPGs every made they are fun. You can usually find them both for $10 each so it might be worth picking them up. They are both pretty short, but the gameplay and story are decent. They are worth it for the price.
Old 09-24-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 are awesome!! You can't go wrong with either one, they are both excellent!

Also try Shenmue (though I wouldn't consider it a roleplaying game, more of an adventure though still fun)

PSO is another one but I never played it as by the time I saved up enough money for it I kept reading articles on how people were cheating, etc. so I just never felt like trying it after that. It supposed to be pretty good though.

I also hear one of the upcoming Bleemcast packs will be FFIX!
Old 09-24-01, 06:52 PM

Another vote for Shenmue. The game is almost on-par with FF X... it's that good.
Old 09-24-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is Sega still planning on the bleem packs? The first one was a complete failure with only one game on it. I figured they would have just given up on it.
Old 09-24-01, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by tygloalex
Is Sega still planning on the bleem packs? The first one was a complete failure with only one game on it. I figured they would have just given up on it.
Sega has nothing to do with bleem packs. Its an independent company and I agree that one game per disc is hardly worth the effort.

As far as Shenmue that game is a real love it or hate it. Many people liked it, but I found it to be one of the worst gaming concepts ever. I found it to be a great cure for insomnia.
Old 09-24-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are put out by BLEEM www.bleem.com and they have one coming for TEKKEN 3, and METAL GEAR SOLID. While I didn't pick up the one for GRAN TURISMO I will grab at least the one for METAL GEAR SOLID the Dreamcast screen shots look sweet.
Old 09-27-01, 08:21 PM

Time Stalkers is pretty good. You can finish it within a 5-day rental. I liked the idea of how the game world is set up.