Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alas, I renig.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alas, I renig.

Well right around 2 days ago, I told the whole world how I thought the dreamcast was probably better than ps2. Today I played Gran Turismo 3, and watched movies of tony hawk 3, metal gear solid 2, and played a demo of ico. Now when will the playstation 2 drop its price?
Old 09-23-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!

For pennance play 4 seasons of NFL 2k2, 10 games of Crazy Taxi, and hunt down a genesis with a copy of Golden Axe.

Old 09-23-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Sheesh.. GT3... i dunno why, but i just never got into this game. the fact that the game is to realistic to cars just gets me.. i mean, i play racing games to get away from the boundries the road has on me while i'm in the car.
Old 09-23-01, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tygloalex

May your "SOUL" never strengthen and your "Adventures" be less than "Sonic."
Old 09-23-01, 03:28 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Sheesh.. GT3... i dunno why, but i just never got into this game. the fact that the game is to realistic to cars just gets me.. i mean, i play racing games to get away from the boundries the road has on me while i'm in the car.
Is it just me, or is GT3 REALLY FREAKIN' HARD! The game is gorgeous, but man. I'll probably be trading it away for something.
Old 09-23-01, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dreamcast

To me the Dreamcast will always be a one game system - that is, it has games that are good enough that buying one is worth the purchase of the platform. Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Soul Reaver, Dead or Alive 2, Record of Lodoss War among others are reason enough in and of themselves individually to warrant having a DC, even if just to play one game.
Old 09-23-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'll put it this way... Playstation 2 has a technology jump over Dreamcast, but it's more like a $50 jump rather than a $220 jump. (what I'm trying to say here is that PS2 is a bit better than the Dreamcast, but not 220 dollars better). Dreamcasts can be bought for 80 bucks and memory cards for 5 bucks and games are cheap too. Playstation 2 is still 300 bucks or so and by the time you buy an extra controller, memory card, cables, blah blah - you're looking at 4 to 500 bucks. I think you can't beat a Dreamcast for price... and looking at games that are available on both systems, it's splitting hairs to argue over which system presents them better.

I almost got a PS2 tonight, but passed cuz I still am not impressed. I'll probably pick up a Dreamcast sooner or later and will probably snag an X-Box for X-Mas.

And - Tygloalex - are you sure you told the 'whole world'? I was here and I didn't hear about it until just now.
Old 09-23-01, 11:48 AM

I'm sorry... the dreamcast is damn_good, trust me, but I am just in awe of the ps2. And yes, the price is way too high, I heard it will come down in November to 200 clams. Here's my thoughts on some games
Crazy Taxi-Very funny but gets boring fast. I had a lot of fun with the mini-games like crazy drift, crazy through etc, but it got boring fast
Soul Reaver-Didn't like it that much
Record of Lodoss War-Never played
DOA2-Fun game (and really pretty), just a little too repitive (as are all fighting games)
Soul Calibur-See above
Nfl2k2-Dunno nothing about football
Golden Axe on genesis-(That's what I have now) Have it and beat it every night (err. Golden Axe that is)(and also play nhl 93 94 95 constantly as well as Contra Hard Corps and NBA jam)
Dreamcast has lots of good games though-Chu Rocket, PSO, nba 2k1, tony hawks, et al. If I had to pick for price wise, definitely dreamcast. I think I'll stick with my good ol' genesis until mgs2 comes out for a 200 system.
Old 09-23-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's renege.

And the PS2 will soon have a bevy of games that will make it a "one game system"...
Old 09-23-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by michael_sharma

Is it just me, or is GT3 REALLY FREAKIN' HARD! The game is gorgeous, but man. I'll probably be trading it away for something.
I'll second that! Its very hard. I'm not a hardcore gamer, nor do i spend hours in front of the screen... But to the casual gamer this game is difficult. But really great as far as controls and graphics and sound are concerned.
Old 09-23-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tygloalex
I'm sorry... the dreamcast is damn_good, trust me, but I am just in awe of the ps2. And yes, the price is way too high, I heard it will come down in November to 200 clams. Here's my thoughts on some games
Crazy Taxi-Very funny but gets boring fast. I had a lot of fun with the mini-games like crazy drift, crazy through etc, but it got boring fast
Soul Reaver-Didn't like it that much
Record of Lodoss War-Never played
DOA2-Fun game (and really pretty), just a little too repitive (as are all fighting games)
Soul Calibur-See above
Nfl2k2-Dunno nothing about football
Golden Axe on genesis-(That's what I have now) Have it and beat it every night (err. Golden Axe that is)(and also play nhl 93 94 95 constantly as well as Contra Hard Corps and NBA jam)
Dreamcast has lots of good games though-Chu Rocket, PSO, nba 2k1, tony hawks, et al. If I had to pick for price wise, definitely dreamcast. I think I'll stick with my good ol' genesis until mgs2 comes out for a 200 system.
I can see why you like the PS2, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Sega, Nintendo, and Sony generallly have different flavors to their line ups. Since the Genesis days I have been a Sega man, the only reason why I picked up a SNES was for the Super Star Wars series.

I have played PS2 and I don't know why but I just don't like it, I honestly never liked the PSx. I am not saying it is crap or a horrible system, I just never liked it, I never liked the games, and for some reason I hate the Sony controler.

Hell I really don't like the PS2 but if Frank Herberts Dune is ported to it I might have to pick it up...kinda like what I did with the SNES. Hell I considered it a couple of months ago when I saw Star Wars Starfighter...

Different flavors...
Old 09-23-01, 04:58 PM

Good post KS. I really like posting to this newsgroup as opposed to gamefaqs. Everyone here is so open and knowledgible, instead of being fanboys. right now I'm downloading thps 3 videos and that game looks even better than thps 2 (if thats possible). I wish I could afford both. Maybe I need to get a second job, but then I wouldn't have time to enjoy the fruit of my work.
Old 09-23-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

I'll second that! Its very hard. I'm not a hardcore gamer, nor do i spend hours in front of the screen... But to the casual gamer this game is difficult. But really great as far as controls and graphics and sound are concerned.
In my old age I no longer have the time or energy to really master games like GT3. I found it too difficult as well. However, a friend of mine has been playing it non stop for weeks and pretty much has it down. Its really made for the hardcore racer. Amazing looking game though.